MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulled my old 788 out of the wayback machine, YIKES how to get a better trigger??

Boolit Master

Pulled my old 788 out of the wayback machine, YIKES how to get a better trigger??

Went in the storage area and pulled venerable 788 out. Last time out in the light to play was 1986 and it didn't seem so bad then. It was and will again be my truck rifle, if I can get the trigger better. It's a very accurate .222. However the trigger is horrible. So bad that it upsets my shooting protocol technique if it is 1st on the bench at the range. The 700s and accutrigger guns are so much better.

Is it possible to make the trigger better or is a Timney the only solution?? Thanks, 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow.. that is a complete surprise to hear. My 788 in 308 is just an awesome trigger. It’s original, and I have friends that have one and theirs is sweet too... no creep, light pull...

If you remember the trigger being different way back when, I would pull it apart and take a hard look at things in the trigger. I bet some spider or gunk or who knows what got in there, or something. I haven’t every heard of one of these somebody didn’t like. If you haven’t, take a real close look-see..... hope this helps..

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Wow.. that is a complete surprise to hear. My 788 in 308 is just an awesome trigger. It’s original, and I have friends that have one and theirs is sweet too... no creep, light pull...

If you remember the trigger being different way back when, I would pull it apart and take a hard look at things in the trigger. I bet some spider or gunk or who knows what got in there, or something. I haven’t every heard of one of these somebody didn’t like. If you haven’t, take a real close look-see..... hope this helps..

Marko
    Yeah mine to trigger is the best one I got and will make one ragged hole at 100 if I do my part

Boolit Master

lots of 788's came with so-so triggers. as far as i know, for a simple drop in the timney is the only choice. there are those however that will take apart a 788 trigger and work it over.

Boolit Master
    Be real careful if you try removing the trigger off the receiver. There is a little attachment point (soldered on I believe) and you have to remove the unit the right way or you will break it off. It is a must to remount the trigger so if it gets broken you have a junk rifle until or unless someone can fix it. Now do not quote me but I think there is a tension screw that must be loosened before you remove the forward cross pin

I suggest some gun scrubber(the aerosol) and debunk it on the receiver. Follow up with something slick and penetrating. Go back to degunker and then relube it if necessary.

A gunsmith familiar with them can tune them up substantially. Mine was tuned and then it began firing through the safety. Spooked me and I had a Canjar single set installed. I know now it likely just needed cleaning as I mentioned above but I am glad I ended up with the Canjar as they became unobtainable not long after I got mine ..... and they are a REAL trigger! About that time the “master” Matt Canjar had unexpectedly passed away and the ladies working there assembled triggers from parts until those dried up. The doors were closed and the legend passed.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-06-2019 at 11:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow.. learn something new every day... I never heard of a so-so trigger in the 788.. I always though that mine was awesome, and all the others I have handled have been awesome. A real nice utility gun.. just figured they would all be like that for the most part.

I’ve owned at least 6 788s and they all had crisp triggers that averaged about 4#. I used to install a Tyler trigger shoe on the varmint calibers but never even considered replacing the trigger. I agree with cleaning yours- it’s probably gummed oil causing your grief.

Boolit Master
    I had a 788 in 222 and would shoot lights out. I'm guessing maybe dried oil is messing up the interaction of the parts. Get a can of Blaster and spray the heck out of the trigger. If you have access to an air compressor shoot some air into the trigger.Then repeat with the Blaster and the air compressor. Then for the finale get some spray lube. And spray some into the trigger and set the air compressor to about 25 pounds and spray the trigger. Now everything should have a thin coat of lube. In view of the fact that there is a part that can break if you remove the trigger from the receiver leave it on the gun. Just watch your eyes when spraying the trigger sometimes the spray doesn't go where we want it to go. Frank

Banned

All my 788s have had good triggers too. I have to admit to not being a big Remington fan, but the 788 is one glaring exception, I really like them. Wish Remington still made them.

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ga View Post
    Went in the storage area and pulled venerable 788 out. Last time out in the light to play was 1986 and it didn't seem so bad then. It was and will again be my truck rifle, if I can get the trigger better. It's a very accurate .222. However the trigger is horrible. So bad that it upsets my shooting protocol technique if it is 1st on the bench at the range. The 700s and accutrigger guns are so much better.

Is it possible to make the trigger better or is a Timney the only solution?? Thanks, 10
    I just happen to have a Canjar trigger that a friend sold me way back to put in a Rem. 541T that has long since gone down the road. I can't remember if I couldn't get it to work or if I couldn't get it as light as I wanted, so it sits on the shelf. The instruction sheet says it fits the 788, 540X, 541S, 581 and the 591M. My 541T isn't listed on the instruction sheet so that may have been the problem. The T model was a later version of the S model. PM me if you're interested.

Boolit Master
    If you have or can locate a copy of Rifle magazine January-February 1975 issue there is a article by Paul Dorsey on modifying the 788 trigger.I had my 788 which is also a 222 worked on using the directions in the article and it has worked for the last 30 plus years. My trigger pull is in the range of 16 to 18 ounces.

USMC 77, USRA 79

You must mean this TCFan.... follow my link below for the Modification details from Mr. Dorsey

1975 article on modify 788 rem trigger

Hope that helps.

Boolit Master
    That is the one I read years ago.The mod. worked very well on my 788.

Boolit Buddy

They were the basis of many long range bench rifles
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Master
    I have two 788’s in 22-250. Both have great crisp triggers. Try cleaning and lube. Never try stoning or polishing trigger parts unless you are experienced. Many good triggers have been turned into unsafe triggers.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with others here, give the trigger a good spray cleaning with carb cleaner and scrub with a tooth brush, you've got some 30 year old gummed up oil in it. I don't ever recall testing pounds of pull on the wife's 308 but the trigger was pretty clean and crisp WHEN I SOLD IT
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Years ago had a 788 carbine in 243, replaced the trigger spring with one from someone called "erniethegunsmith" on Ebay. Worked great to lighten the trigger. Also works on the 580 series Remingtons as well.

Boolit Master

I have one 788, the only one I've ever owned, in .30/30 chambering. When I purchased it last spring, I ran a patch down the bore. Period. I fired it for the first time just a few weeks ago.

It is very accurate; the trigger is good but not great. I'm thinking I need to grab a can of brake cleaner.....

Boolit Master
    update = Cleaned it up with some of my carb/choke cleaner and hit it with some compressed air. It was a LOT better. Soaked down with some 4 part Ed's Red with a daily repeat of the Ed's Red and tomorrow another carb/choke cleaner bath and then some gun oil. It was better after 1st bath now even a little bit better it'll be "good enough". Will check back to see if any other info comes in. Thanks, 10ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

USMC 77, USRA 79

Awesome 10... I figured it had to be something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast