Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Another option for backyard fun.

Boolit Buddy

Another option for backyard fun.

Due to recent developments (subdivisions) in my neighborhood. I have to be a bit more discreet in my backyard fun. A couple of years ago (more like decades) I purchased a 1377 classic and over time have used it to my advantage. When ammo was scarce, pellets were not. Combine that with low cost per round and I was content. UNTIL I discovered the upgrades etc that were available for the lowly 1377. Today it is very much NOT the gun I started out with. It has become a very sweet shooter (carbine) that I can sit in the comfort of my house and 'plink' to my hearts content. A TKO muzzle device makes for low noise that does not upset the tree rats (thats my job). If you have an interest in them there is lots of information both here and on the web to help your pursuits. Start with gatewaytoairguns and follow the paths from there.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Grand Master

I have considered a set of swinging gongs for my rws side cocker in the back yard just for fun. Maybe a 1" 2" and 3" on a simple frame. could be made with back iron pipe and sash chains. I suspect even with this 1100 fps air gun 1/8" plate would be plenty. Could be a lot of fun at 15 to 50 yds. A set of swingers in silhouette shapes could be made up also. Rifle tin of pellets and can of spray paint and your good to go.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I set in my house and shoot into the back yard but around here you have to be careful because a bb or pellet gun are considered guns in my county. And if caught you get a free ride in a police car. I do have a 10 yrd or almost range up stairs in my house for pellet pistol or primer only and rubber bullets. The range i use is only about 4 miles away but some times i am just lazy.

Moderator Emeritus

RED BEAR -- primarily due to a bum leg, I "joined" the wax-bullet "club" -- which, both in accuracy and fun has most exceeded my expectations. Years back I had Speer rubber bullets, but they required the searching for and pick up to re-use, and, over time the rubber got hard -- almost like a plastic. Hence, the beauty of the wax, and, with most reputable Internet wax bullet sellers sending them to ones door @ ~$26.00 for 1,000 -- they're more than affordable.
    MY comment on your post is -- do as you wish -- I will NOT shoot (these, or primer-only) indoors!!! One of the "big jokes" re the non-shooting public is their fear of lead in air from shooting lead bullets. But - duh - it turns out that hardly any lead is put into the air (as dust -- not the projectile ) from the bullets we cast and shoot -- BUT, one of the major components of primers is..... LEAD!!!
    Activating primers indoors not only provides a significant cloud of air-borne lead dust for you to breathe, but it also collects on walls, floor, furniture.... everything! Maybe, or maybe-not children might eventually live, or visit your residence? Don't know. BUT, again, kindly -- for your and others future -- please give this some thought?
    BEST!
    geo

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Thanks for the info i knew primers contained lead but never considered it when shooting indoors. I mostly shoot pellet pistol anyway but might have to rethink my other pistols .as i said the range is only about 4 miles from home. I mainly made the range out of laziness and to discourage grandkids from trying to move in. Son was 35 before i could get him to move out.

Boolit Buddy
    Several years ago I built an archery target box big enough to cover a couple of straw bales. It was easy to adapt it to airguns. Also acquired a .22 swinging target with three 'gongs'. It works well for the .22 pellets but those same pellets wreak havoc on the Crosman target box that collects the pellets. The .177 pellets are good to go. My shooting distance varies from 10 to 25 yards and is well screened from neighbors (landscaping). However, as indicated, sound was a factor but that was solve by the TKO. The airsoft (KWA) just sounds like a 'nail gun' in action. Critters that are used to a single shot from the airgun get highly motivated by the multiple rounds from the airsoft. Plus it gives me practice shooting at a moving target.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.