Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: 45-70 dies

Lat. 33N 6' 48" Long. -84 15" 11" Middle Georgia

45-70 dies

Not sure if this question will go here on this thread or what.........but here goes. Have a 45-70 and having trouble seating the boolits. (long ones) No trouble with e 485 gr to 500 gr. but I have now a Creedmoor and Round, 535 gr. 1.43 " long I want to seat it down .500 but can not get a seater die that will fit. meaning, I can not seat the seater plug down to where I want. Have a RCBS seater, what came with it will not work, talked to RCBS, they sent me 3 plugs none will fit, can not screw it down to where I want....The boolits (45-70 round is 2.95" OAL) Also tried Lee's seater, again can not get the plug down. The barrel is a Green Mountain made with a deep throat and with the OAL at 2.95 it is about 0.10 / 0.15 from the lands Any help ???????????

Boolit Master
    I can’t picture why it’s not working , can you screw your seating die farther in to the press.
    Can you post a picture of the bullet the laying beside the case at the length you would like it to be?

Boolit Grand Master

Are you not getting to the threads with the seater stem at that OAL? 2.950 oal makes me think its a single shot rifle so you may be able to raise the die body ( it wont crimp though) and get what you need then crimp in a separate step. Pm me and Ill send you my phone number to talk it through

Boolit Master
    I was having the same problem when I was experimenting with the lyman 535gr postell bullet the seater stems are too long. What I did was to turn seating and crimping into two separate operations. First using a dummy round I would set the die and seater to the correct length and seat the rounds. Second I pulled out the seater stem and reset the die to the correct length for the crimp and crimped the rounds. Had I suck with that bullet I was thinking about getting a .45-90 seating die to use for seating and then using the stemless seater die for crimping.

Boolit Grand Master

The 45-90 seating die will give another .400 height roughly. Cutting down a stem would work also. Depending on the die set a stem can be made from a bolt and a little machining. Redding and some dies use 1/2" so threads for the seater stems so a 1/2 20 bolt with the nose cavity cut in leaving threads to end would give the most possible adjustment

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
    Not sure if this question will go here on this thread or what.........but here goes. Have a 45-70 and having trouble seating the boolits. (long ones) No trouble with e 485 gr to 500 gr. but I have now a Creedmoor and Round, 535 gr. 1.43 " long I want to seat it down .500 but can not get a seater die that will fit. meaning, I can not seat the seater plug down to where I want. Have a RCBS seater, what came with it will not work, talked to RCBS, they sent me 3 plugs none will fit, can not screw it down to where I want....The boolits (45-70 round is 2.95" OAL) Also tried Lee's seater, again can not get the plug down. The barrel is a Green Mountain made with a deep throat and with the OAL at 2.95 it is about 0.10 / 0.15 from the lands Any help ???????????
    I have to quit trying to read posts without my **** glasses on.
    Last edited by Carrier; 04-07-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Boolit Master
    Sorry I misunderstood the question. I was thinking about the bullet seating die not the neck expander. I have not run into that problem. All the bullets I have loaded in 45-70 were short enough to work with a standard rcbs die set.
    I have no doubt you will get a solution from the more knowledgeable folks here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Sorry I misunderstood the question. I was thinking about the bullet seating die not the neck expander. I have not run into that problem. All the bullets I have loaded in 45-70 were short enough to work with a standard rcbs die set.
    I have no doubt you will get a solution from the more knowledgeable folks here.
    I have to quit trying to read posts without my **** glasses on. Seating die he’s talking about. Apologies to beng.

Boolit Master
    Redding .45-70 dies come from the factory set up shooting the short bullets in lever guns.
    Redding makes 2 different seater plugs and ships the long one with the dies. This long plug is way too long to use seating the long BPCR bullets.
    If you request a seater plug for the longer bullets the seater plug they provide is much shorter and you can seat the bullets where you need them in a single shot.

I know there are limitations with Lee dies and I would not even consider them for a long BPCR type bullet.
    What I don't understand is how you can seat a short bullet short enough but you can't seat a long bullet short enough? I use the same long Creedmoor, RN, Postell, Money and Paul Jones bullets and I have no problem seating them deep enough to use in 45-70s with the near zero length SAMMI throat.
    I currently own RCBS dies from 1972, 1985, Cowboy dies, Redding FL, Redding Neck dies and Lee dies.
    I also have the Redding Competition seater in 45-70. The seaters in all of the die sets work fine for the long bullets. However when I got the Redding dies the standard seater dies would not work for the long bullets because the seater plug was too LONG. After they supplied me with the shorter seater I could properly seat the long nosed bullets.
    Your problem seems backward to what I expect. My Creedmoor bullets measure 1.435 and are seated with one lube groove exposed. My barrel has the standard SAAMI chamber with no throat or freebore.

So what kind of press are you using and are you screwing the die body down so the crimping shoulder just clears the case mouth? If the die body is set too high you can have the kind of problem you are describing but that makes no sense since you say you can seat the shorter bullets.

You say your bullets are .10 to .150 from the lands. It seems that you want the bullets seated longer so they will touch the lands. To seat them shorter would seat them further from the lands.

Quote Originally Posted by beng View Post
    EDG

My take is that the distance inside the 45-70 die body is too small for the long boolits to fit between the crimp groove of the die [the end of the case] and the seater with the seater screwed as high as it will go. A 45-90 die wouldn’t necessarily increase this distance but 45-60 dies might. Id experiment with other .45 seater dies. Or you might be able to shorten the top of the fat part of the seater stem which would increase the distance and then rethread the longer unthreaded stem. Chuck it in your drill press a start filing and micing then run your die down the stem and cut some new threads.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 04-07-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

1. Back the seater plug out all the way to where you can just secure it with the lock ring.
    2. Put the seating die into the press just enough to secure it with the lock ring.
    3. Adjust the seater plug to get desired seating depth.
    4. Crimp in another step.

Nothing says you have to put the seating die all the way into the press. You should be able to seat and then crimp in a second step.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a 2 die Redding set that the seating stem was all but bottomed out on to seat at Marlin length . Redding sent me , gratis , the longer stem . I was using the seater to just flatten the crimp .

Seating longer was no problem . I eventually aquired another seater and a full set of RCBS and added a Lee FCD . At one point I was using a 458 expander .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Interesting thread. I just purchased the RCBS Cowboy dies and Lyman Postell (535gr) mould for loading BPCR. When I get to loading them, I'll report whether I have any issues like you are having here on this thread.
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"