RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Taurus G2C ?

Boolit Master

Taurus G2C ?

I am seeing the Taurus G2C 12+1 round, 9mm pistols advertised for about $180 after rebate here. Dunhams and Gander Outdoors have both run these sales. Are they good pistols? I think they come with 2 mags. Anyone have experience with them?
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

I have the Tuarus PT 809 and the G2C. My brother had one and thats how i first tested it. I ran my cast reloads through his (with permission) and fell in love. Very accurate for both of us at 25 yards with cast bullets in both his and mine. Accurate for me is all shots into a palm sized group and consistently hitting 6 inch steal plates. I bought one two weeks later at the gun show for 185. Mine has the tightest chamber out of all my 9mm. So be sure to crimp till it plunks. New seating depth and crimp doesnt csyse problems in the other guns.

My brother and I both love our G2Cs.

Of all the compacts i have shot including Glock (single stack 9mm), Ruger LC9 and the SCCY and couple others. I like the G2C the most. It just feel ballanced for the recoil and fits my hand really well. I didnt like the Glocks and Ruger because they were so light the recoil made follow up shots wild. They also didnt fit my hands even with extended mag grips. They barely fit my mothers little hands.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I have the them in 9mm and 40 sw. Like them alot. Mines the models before the G2C came out. I also had the SW SDVE'S in 9mm and 40. The Taurus are better IMO. I traded both the SW'S for a 1911 45.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

I have had three of the newer G2C, had one of the G2S, and still have the PT809.

First off, The new management at Taurus really has done a great job of purging the company of flawed models and just stick to what works. I trust Taurus to stand behind their products and I trust their products.

About the G2Cs, just a cosmetic upgrade to the proven PT111 series. It’s very “Glock like” when you field strip it and a detail strip the slide and frame. Taurus did their homework. All three shot great. Trigger took about three mags to get use to, and then I had no problems. Just remember to pull the trigger until, it goes bang! LOL I had three, I picked each one up while filling in for a buddy’s gun shop while he was out. I gave the owners something like $100 for it, they were needing money (cause they change the date of their kid’s birthday and Christmas every Year!) and I did a personal buy for each one. I didn’t get them all at once, it was over a four month period. So I shot them, and I shot them, and I shot them. Never had a problem with any of the pistols. I sold each one at a profit. They are a good pistol. They have a great aftermarket support for sights and bling. I’m holding out for a DAO trigger from the facility that is the talk of the forums. I will grab a couple if they do.

I think I liked the G2S better, due to the trigger being better a bit better to me. I think both the C and the S handed the same. What did the S in was magazines availablity. Couldn’t find any locally, and ordering them they were about $35-$40 at the time. Literally 20%-25% The cost of the pistol! And the older 709 magazines do not fit unless “modified” (aka get your dremal tool out!). I sold it to a buddy to have one to sell at a gun show, they were in high demand at the time.

Magazines availability, cost, and longevity of the sales (not the product) is what kills Taurus. MecGar makes their factory magazines. But Mec Gar isn’t allowed to sell them under their own name, like they do with so many other manufacturers. Taurus owners of older models kill to find magazines for their pistols. I bought a PT809 cheap, because you can’t find mags anymore. The TH9 has replaced it and has a slightly different mag. Seems like Taurus or Ruger stold the idea from the other and want to see which one can abuse their loyal customers the most with it!

Good note for the G2C, it does take the PT111 12 and 10 round magazines. And they accept the Mec Gar Sig 226 magazine! You can find grip sleeves online for them. Pretty cool.

I think Taurus has come a long way. And I think they will OVERTAKE S&W and RUGER if they open up third party sales of their magazines, and keep the prices low. S&W has nothing close to Taurus in their price range, and their snubbies losing ground to the 85, 605, and 856. Ruger can’t find another Kel Tec to copy, so they have to make their clones bigger, like the Security 9.

Wow, that should teach me to day drink on such a beautiful day out. To answer the question, yes get one. I have a grey/black one in layaway at the local RK.
    Lefty
    Last edited by Lefty Red; 04-07-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Boolit Master

I was in the same position as you last week… And sure enough I bought one. I’m going to the range in an hour to test it out and will report back. I will say I prefer the way it fits my hand better than the Ruger LC9S pro.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

It’s entry level. Not bad, but There’s better out there. I would prefer the Ruger ec9 if I was in that price range

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    I was in the same position as you last week… And sure enough I bought one. I’m going to the range in an hour to test it out and will report back. I will say I prefer the way it fits my hand better than the Ruger LC9S pro.
    I will be waiting....
    I have larger hands so I am not much into "compact" handguns. I do not like the feeling of my small/"pinky" finger hanging out in the air. I carry an SR9 & a 45 Govt. most of the time as CC, due to that. Occasionally a .357 or a .38 snubbie with aftermarket larger grips in my pocket when it is warm out & wearing shorts, or long cotton shirt in a shoulder holster.

Please let us know how it works out for you!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I bought one a few weeks ago from psa when they had them on sale. I had 1 ftf on the second magazine. Not another hiccup in the following 300 or so rounds of cheap 115gr fmj. I did run a box of 50 gold dots through it as well with no problems. Sights are pretty dead on at 10yards, but I’m not much of a bullseye shooter in compact pistols. There’s enough reviews out there about the trigger to help potential buyers understand what they are getting. I bought it because it was cheap, has a good warranty, and I enjoy shooting.

Boolit Master

I just got back from the range. I fired two pistols while I was there; the Taurus G2C and Ruger LS9pro. I fired the Taurus a total of 194 times and the Ruger 49 times. Both performed perfectly with no jams etc with 115 gr fmj reloads (6.0 gr power pistol). I did find the Taurus to be suprisingly accurate rapidly shooting up to 50 feet away. Was maintaining a 4 inch circle with occasional flyers and admittedly I am no Josey Wales. I did find the trigger a bit long to my liking on the Taurus but had no problem keeping my aim true. Trigger was bit rough first few pulls but started to smooth out about three mags in and by the end of session I had no reason to complain as the trigger felt decent for a striker fired pistol. Certainly better than my M&P9 did before I put an Apex in it. Very often I polish triggers to obtain a smoother/lighter pull but probably will not bother with this one.

As for my overall opinion of the Taurus I am impressed. I own a few polymer pistols (10+) and this purchase was easily the most affordable of the lot. I purchased it as a curiosity and have zero regrets after the first outing. The grip is long and fits all four fingers with zero ‘pinky orphanage’. Texture on the grip is aggressive and makes for a positive hold. I admit I preferred the Taurus over the Ruger which I have had for a couple years. The Taurus reminds me of a Bersa BP9CC I had seven years ago or so. Didn’t have good luck with the Bersa (slide would slip out of battery holstering and not return when removed) but loved the size and feel of it (it had an eight round mag). My preference of the Taurus was mainly due to the smaller grip on the Ruger which makes the pistol a bit harder to control especially with the mag that doesn’t include the pinky extension. Sure is nice to have an extra five rounds in the Taurus as well. Can’t beat the thinner Ruger as a pocket pistol and it is a solid performer.

Added pic to show Taurus grip and Ruger without pinky extension installed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4C56243B-6BF0-4247-99D2-D9C853D61B41.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	239362 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	423B2797-9D13-40DA-98A8-FD864D82B113.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	239393

Ruger on top of Taurus. With Ruger pinky extension installed pistols are similar in footprint. Ruger as a single stack is noticably thinner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7A6519EC-3A61-4343-86C5-999900DF6154.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	239368 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35758BA1-9FE6-4196-AC73-B937A10C91A5.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	239369

Hope this helps.
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I will be waiting....
    I have larger hands so I am not much into "compact" handguns. I do not like the feeling of my small/"pinky" finger hanging out in the air. I carry an SR9 & a 45 Govt. most of the time as CC, due to that. Occasionally a .357 or a .38 snubbie with aftermarket larger grips in my pocket when it is warm out & wearing shorts, or long cotton shirt in a shoulder holster.

Please let us know how it works out for you!
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 04-07-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    Thanks! I really appreciate the report & the pics are definitely worth a thousand words!

I will be looking into one of these when I get near a place that carries them. I am one of those folks who wants to actually look over the firearm, and if possible, fire it before I buy it. I just would hate to buy something just off of pics & then get something I have to move along because of it.

Thanks again for your efforts! They are certainly a help!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

You are very welcome. Uploaded a 17 second video showing trigger travel. Trigger pull comes in at 5.5 lbs according to my Wheeler Engineering scale. Double strike measures at 7.0.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u34l3li3v...ravel.mp4?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Thanks! I really appreciate the report & the pics are definitely worth a thousand words!

I will be looking into one of these when I get near a place that carries them. I am one of those folks who wants to actually look over the firearm, and if possible, fire it before I buy it. I just would hate to buy something just off of pics & then get something I have to move along because of it.

Thanks again for your efforts! They are certainly a help!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    You are very welcome. Uploaded a 17 second video showing trigger travel. Trigger pull comes in at 5.5 lbs according to my Wheeler Engineering scale.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3u34l3li3v...ravel.mp4?dl=0
    Yeah, that a long unique trigger for sure. Had several friends try it out, that is why I say you have to pull the trigger until it goes bang. But it’s doable, and it has a great reset.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

Bought one last year and it is a mixed bag...

Pros:

- Great size for a concealed pistol
    - Holds 12 rounds
    - Ergonomics are awesome; most natural pointing pistol I have.
    - It has never hiccuped.
    - Acceptable accuracy. Not a tack driver, but 3.5" at 25yds is acceptable for a sub-$200 polymer pistol.
    - Quality of polymer is excellent and appears just as good as my M&Ps and Glocks.

Cons:

- Trigger
    - Trigger
    - Trigger; not only is there a long travel, but it doesn't break very cleanly, and mine has a "catch" halfway through the travel that makes it feel like a two-stage trigger. Some others have reported the same anomaly, and others haven't. Keep forgetting to take mine apart and see if I can't fix it when I have spare time.
    - Weak finish. Mine is already worn though in spots despite only being carried less than half a dozen times and taken to the range three times. Spend the extra $25 or whatever for the stainless slide version.

Attachment 239505
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River