Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We all get old

Boolit Master
    Thank goodness for the hand grip on the window post for my wife, She steps up on the running board and then pulls herself in. I use the seat and steering wheel to pull myself in after I'm up on the running board.

Boolit Master
    I have the same problem with the new pickups I use for work.They are 4 wheel drive so that doesn't help, every year they seam to get higher, crawling into the box just about kills my knees. I am only 5'-10" tall thank god for running boards.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Thank goodness for the hand grip on the window post for my wife, She steps up on the running board and then pulls herself in. I use the seat and steering wheel to pull myself in after I'm up on the running board.
    Any trouble with your upper body and you cant pull your self in and then you're done. This is what I was worried about.

For me 6-3 300lb and bad back and knees. The cars are too low and too small. I need a big truck or SUV.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
    I have the same problem with the new pickups I use for work.They are 4 wheel drive so that doesn't help, every year they seam to get higher, crawling into the box just about kills my knees. I am only 5'-10" tall thank god for running boards.
    Take a 5 or 6 gallon paint bucket and screw a 1x4 18" long to the bottom of it. You want 9" on the bucket and 9" sticking out. You now have a step and a handle to reach it almost anywhere in the bed of the truck.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Email this guy. tony@tbssowners.com

He can get you set up with parts. Looks like about $650 in parts plus installation.
    👍🏼

Boolit Master

If anyone ever comes up with the solution to all these problems associated with celebrating to many New Years they will be a very rich and powerful person.

Boolit Master
    Got you covered homes. Find an Old low rider mechanic. Back in the day they could set the car body right on the ground, each wheel had separate hydraulics run from an electric pump. Some would go from zero ground clearance to 18 inches at a touch of a button.

I don't have as much trouble climbing into the truck as folding into the car.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Chrisler Corp furnished and paid for the installation of a lighted retracting step for the passinger door of my 03 Dodge Ram crew cab. Although it reduced ground clearance, it provides its service admirably. Both my handicaped wife and grandson have been able to enter and exit safely.
    I would advise adding a HD SW to turn it off when not needed.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Years ago I had a 1979 GMC 4x4, 3/4 ton PU. My boys and I did a lot of off roading. My boy welded up running boards for it from 4" steel pipe, with threaded drain plugs (top front and bottom back). We filled one side with motor oil and the other with anti-freeze mix. I never needed either one but I helped three other guys with busted radiator hoses.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Another approach would be Celebrex. I’ve been taking it for fifteen years now and it works wonders for me. A lot less stiff and calms arthritis right down. I wouldn’t go a day without it.

If you never tried it, you should ask your doctor about it. Great for hangovers too.

My problem is not getting up into high trucks, but getting down into low cars where the top of the door jam is too low and having to bend my head down to get it into the car.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    The ups and downs of getting in an SUV or Truck as we get older
    We have a 2018 4x4 Yukon.

Can it be lowered and not kill the warranty.

How much can it be lowered

Maybe I should have gotten a non-4x4

Last it sucks to get old!!
    Not cheap... but it would do the job https://www.amazon.com/AMP-Research-...r=8-2-fkmrnull

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Not all have the oppertunity to get old.
    I work part time at a funeral home Today we had a 4 year old and her dad
    Never heard of getting old as being an opportunity, but putting it that way I guess I'm glad I'm getting old.
    Exercise, watch your diet and or possibly physical therapy might be an answer to getting in and out of high trucks.
    I know I need to get serious about my weight and get more exercise. When I get more exercise the dog gets more too.

Banned
    I wish my mind got old faster than my body, it keeps making promises/tries to do things that my body is no longer capable of
    I knew a person that had a step that came out when she opened the driver door. she was rounder than she was tall.

Boolit Master

Go here and ask the same question. There are plenty of kits out there and mechanics that can take care of it...

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/foru...uspension.120/
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Go here and ask the same question. There are plenty of kits out there and mechanics that can take care of it...

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/foru...uspension.120/
    Thanks but I already did
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Man
    [QUOTE=GregLaROCHE;4620256]Another approach would be Celebrex. I’ve been taking it for fifteen years now and it works wonders for me. A lot less stiff and calms arthritis right down. I wouldn’t go a day without it./QUOTE]

I used Celebrex for several years.
    Then I tried Turmeric with BioPirene (black pepper extract) it worked far better than the Celebrex with no danger to my liver.

It also helps a bit with memory problems, my CRS is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

YMMV, but it is a lot cheaper!

Boolit Grand Master

Time to trade the high rider in on a low rider or start carrying a step ladder to get in !

We got Grandma a Gorilla 2 Step Ladder from Home Depot...it has worked like a charm...
    She likes it ! Several models to choose from they run in the 20 to 30 dollar price range, we got the aluminum model for the light weight.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    SNIP...

Another approach would be Celebrex. I’ve been taking it for fifteen years now and it works wonders for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy in Arizona View Post
    SNIP...

I used Celebrex for several years.
    FYI, Celebrex was banned in the USA for 3 years (2015 to 2018). I had used it years ago and it worked for my knee pain, back when I only had occasional knee pain, but it no longer helped when my knee pain became chronic.

Back to the OP.
    My used 3/4 Chevy truck has a aftermarket "Step" on each side. They are short, like only 16 inches long, and have a grippy texture and are much stronger/sturdier than the typical running boards. There should be different heights available.

I posted some photos when I bought the used truck a while back (post #44)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post3895449
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 05-01-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Not all have the oppertunity to get old.
    I work part time at a funeral home Today we had a 4 year old and her dad
    I was all set to crack my favorite joke about getting old when I started reading this thread but you sure got me to thinking there. Instead of joking now I'm thinking maybe those of us who are still around after way more than just four short years should instead be seriously thankful for our time here on Earth and consider the FACT that we don't have much more time left regardless of health at this moment. So instead of cracking that joke I will instead take a moment to think of that little one and others like her and offer a Prayer for those who will never get the chance at life that we have had, sometimes I guess we take too much for granted and forget that life, while it is to be joyful and celebrated, is a gift that not all will have for long and it really is no joking matter.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast