Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We all get old

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

We all get old

The ups and downs of getting in an SUV or Truck as we get older
    We have a 2018 4x4 Yukon.

Can it be lowered and not kill the warranty.

How much can it be lowered

Maybe I should have gotten a non-4x4

Last it sucks to get old!!
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Getting a side step would be cheaper. And protects the lower body sides.

Boolit Master

I have a GMC Jimmy. It's the right height that i can just slide on in lol. When my knees are acting up. It;s murder getting in and out of my car. Those days the Jimmy gets a spin.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Lowering it would be difficult especially if trying to maintain decent ride quality. Steps would be the best option. If you don't like the appearance of fixed steps or running boards, several companies have retractable power options. They are not cheap but neither is lowering the truck.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo 5959 View Post
    Getting a side step would be cheaper. And protects the lower body sides.
    If you mean side step as running boards. They are already on the Yukon.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I had the exact opposite problem had an old car that set low loved that car had it for 18 years put over 200000 miles on it but got to the point i couldn't climb out of it so ended up giving it to my nephew. Sorry to hear bout your problems hope you come up with solution.

Boolit Master

My saturn has 214k on it. It gets 30 mpg ave. That's why i keep it. No power to climb the hills when i have a car load lol. But it's cheap running. And i have not put a lot into for repairs. One clutch and starter and water pump and an alternator so far. Im not going to complain about that.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I really loved mine it just got to be to much of a chore to get out of.

Moderator Emeritus

I "hear you" both the the privileges of getting more candles on the birthday cake as well as vehicle entry challenges being exacerbated -- in my case -- by a bum leg. One approach, spearheaded by my brother-in-law, is he picked up a small plastic rectangular stool which he drilled two holes near the top sides, and ran some Venetian blind cord through. Sounds funky, perhaps, but it works! Fred keeps stool on driver seat, and after opening door he sets it in a good location on ground, with end of cordage in a hand. After he's seated, he pulls stool in, and stands it between two bucket seats. Upon time to egress, he uses cordage to place it where he wishes, using door handle for stability, and puts a foot on it to get to terra firma. Like I wrote -- it sounds funky -- but it does in fact work. And, Fred maintains if it (plastic) breaks, he can just spend another five dollars and replace it. The vehicle value is in no way altered, nor is there any major out-of-pocket expense to implement this. Just a thought. Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Retractable power running boards about$1700+- ! You can have the vehicle ride height lowered, but it needs to be done by a reputable 4x4 shop to maintain your alignment. Look for a set of two stage retractable steps, but they probably are pricey. Good luck whichever way ya go!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Getting old is the pits, but the alternative is worse!

My father was tired of climbing up into a GMC Jimmy (full size Blazer) so he ditched the taller tires and wheels and went to smaller lower profile ones then he added running boards. I find myself struggling with either too tall or too close to the ground depending on what it is now days.

It is mighty aggravating feeling challenged by things you did not think twice about just a few years ago! And I recall the folks older than me who used to grunt and groan and struggle I was working with and thinking that I was sure glad I would not end up THAT WAY!

Look how that worked out!

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

We had the seats modified for my mother. It gave her the mobility to stay on the road for another 4 years. Company was called Mobility works and they are nation wide. It extended out, rotated and lowered. We had both the driver and passenger seats modified so she didn't always have to drive. file:///C:/Users/Dell/Desktop/banner-2.jpg

https://www.mobilityworks.com//image...vo-banner2.jpg

Boolit Master
    The same with my Jeep. Gettin' old ain't for sissys.

Boolit Grand Master

I have trouble getting around but so far the running boards on my Super Duty still allow me to step up and get in.

Boolit Master

Not all have the oppertunity to get old.
    I work part time at a funeral home Today we had a 4 year old and her dad
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Ha. My son made a real off road Rubicon that I can't get into. Gave up the 4runner for an Edge that I can get into. Power running boards sounds like the best idea.An option on some of the factory chevys.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    running boards are your friend
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    The ups and downs of getting in an SUV or Truck as we get older
    We have a 2018 4x4 Yukon.

Can it be lowered and not kill the warranty.

How much can it be lowered

Maybe I should have gotten a non-4x4

Last it sucks to get old!!
    You are definitely preaching to the choir!!!!!!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

If your in a snow and ice area. running boards may fill and freeze up. Dad had a set of the sliding steps on a truck and coming home from work in heavy slush snow they would get stiff making it almost impossible to open doors when he got home.

I've had a couple sets of the step tubes and they don't fill pack with snow slush. One set I made a simple set of plates to lower them another 2".

Boolit Master
    I've increased my lardage which has caused the truck to sag a little to the drivers side. Much more better getting in and out. You just need to increase your seefood intake.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast