WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: .44mag case length

Boolit Mold

.44mag case length

Hi all,
    Ok here’s the problem.... I’ve finally exhausted my supplies of Magtech .44mag brass which I’ve loaded many,many times. So I purchase new brass from Starline, Hornady and Jagemann. About 700 pieces total. Here’s my quandary....almost all of them measure less than 1.280” (trim to length). Most measuring between 1.2680”-1.270”. Is this the new norm?? Are they even safe to load especially at magnum pressures?? Btw, I load 19gr of 2400 with either Keith 255gr or LBT 260gr. Thanks

Boolit Master
    I actually contacted starline regarding this. I was told they are well within acceptable tolerances and that they would be to trim length in 1-2 firings. I have shot thousands of them uneventfully in multiple calibers, my approach is to stay with my same COAL, which of course means that bullets are seated out more.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Not a problem as above post stated they will be right size in a few firings.

Boolit Grand Master

Dunno about the fellers above, but my 44 Magnum brass does not grow in length from firing, mebbe a bit during sizing. My 5, 44 Magnums all have "normal" chambers, meaning none need excess sizing from large chambers so my revolver brass does not grow...

Of all my revolver handloads, 44 Magnum is the only one I've measured (and for the last 25 years or so that is rare). I just seat bullets to the crimp groove and disregard book OAL. Unless a case varies +/-.010" there is no noticeable difference in accuracy/performance...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    I haven't trimmed a straight walled handgun case in the last thirty years. It only grows after sizing...which is pretty normal. In any event, your cases are safe to use. Here's a thought: size one and see what happens. I know you don't have to in order to use it, but just see if it changes at all. It might.

Banned
    I've found that revolver case lengths only matter with getting uniform crimps

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the information. This is the first time I’ve had this problem...ive always had to trim everything. Thought I’d ask because it didn’t seem safe being .012”-.015” short of trim-to length. Does anyone know why manufacturers are making them so short?

Banned
    Your talking about commercially bought ammo, some of that brass (as you have found) are way under SAMII specs, anything to save a penny or two.

Boolit Master
    Next time you think of it. Measure some ammo that is factory made & see what those cases measure as compared to what is being sold to reloading folks as "new".

I wonder if those "factory cases" are shorter, now that this is being discussed.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I have the LEE case trimmer dies and it trims my 44 mag cases on the normal setting to 1.271". So, that's what I trim to.
    I find that if I shoot Unique loads (med) or Trailboss loads that my cases do not grow. BUT they do grow when I shoot heavy A2400 or W296 loads.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

The last lot of 44 magnum brass I bought I did nothing to them except size them and load them.
    My accurate shooting ability has diminished over the last few years, I don't prep them as well as I have in the past.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

One other thing, I load my ammo for the occasion, if I'm shooting paper, full velocity loads are not need nor necessary!
    My hunting loads are always 5% less than maximum, it really don't take a lot to kill a deer. And its easier on the gun.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    One other thing, I load my ammo for the occasion, if I'm shooting paper, full velocity loads are not need nor necessary!
    My hunting loads are always 5% less than maximum, it really don't take a lot to kill a deer. And its easier on the gun.
    I really like 44 magnum. I love shooting full house rounds and I also enjoy shooting my "medium" or "lite" rounds.
    One of my favorite things I like to do when explaining to people why I like to reload is to load my Ruger Redhawk with three rounds.
    I only shoot one style of boolit and it is the Accurate 43-240 (A/AG) so your loads may vary.
    First one is Trailboss.
    Second is 8.5 grain of unique
    Third is 23.5 grain of W296

At 15 or 20 yards the POI is the same with all three loads in that gun and I get about 850 fps in the trailboss loads, about 1100 fps in the unique loads and 1450-1500 fps in the W296 loads. But the experience is cool. It goes: *poof*, *bang*, *BOOM*
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Used to trim FED cases, .44Mag & .357Mag. When I was loading REAL HOT.
    Now I don't Load but a box of each hot load the a year, and it's the same box for each time after time. I trim about every 3rd time now, REMINGTON Brass.
    Hate starline, too hard, too inconsistent length, WAY Too Hard.

Remington, Winchester, Federal. They all work fine for me too.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy

The trim to length is not the minimum length, it is usually in the middle of SAAMI specs.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master

I have experienced some real short .44 mag in Hornady brass. I have to separate it and adjust the crimp.

Banned
    I'm in the camp with NSB and Conitor22.
    I can't remember the last time I needed to trim straight walled / rimmed handgun brass.
    AND
    Assuming the variances are minor, It's only an issue when you're trying to get very uniform roll crimps.

Boolit Grand Master

When I first started relaoding for my first 44 Magnum, I had a full blown case of "Magnumitis". Nearly every load I assembled was near max. and occasionally maximum. I enjoyed the muzzle blast and recoil and actually they did not bother me or harm my "accuracy". With near max loads of 2400, I had no cases grow that I remember, and after a while I quit measuring, having not trimmed any. My loads, like me, have gotten much milder now and upper/max. 44 Special load levels are more the norm. I have a box of Federal nickel plated brass that I have kept for heavy loads (upper loads of WC 820 under a 265 gr. LRNP) and whilr I haven't measured any, the Redding Profile crimps are very uniform and accuracy more than I can usually hold...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quick answer--Don't worry about case length of .44 mag cases. I've loaded for this caliber since 1963 and have NEVER seen the need to trim any brass or worry about brass length. The only issue you may run into is that extremely short brass may not get "belled" enuf to not shave lead alloy boolits.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!