MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: 'Nother 310 thread

Boolit Buddy

'Nother 310 thread

I have 2 new die sets. One is 45LC the other is 45-70 I'd really like to use them. I think the 45 LC uses small handles and the 45-70, the large ones. I don't have those. I do have an Ideal, steel tool that is marked 30.06. Are the tools caliber specific or will other dies work with them? I know the square root of zero about the 310. I'd like to find the correct handles. Any help would be appreciated.
    Ask an American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did for his lands and his way of life. Then, think about your children's and grandchildren's future.

This is hard to answer exactly without some more information. There were several generations of these tools, starting with the really old ones that had a bullet mold on the front and a seating die that was part of the tool; followed by a generation that were marked for specific cartridges, used screw in dies, and might work for two or three cartridges; followed eventually by tools that had almost universal use, some steel, some aluminum, divided basically into large and small handles. Same with the dies. What do you mean "new die sets"? Newly manufactured, or new to you? The older dies, those specifically made to use in the handles, were neck size only. Later Lyman developed a bench press and a new generation of dies that would full length resize. They weren't made to be used with the handles, but often can be if the decapping pin is removed. You should be able to find tiny numbers on the dies which relate to a chart that will tell you a little more about them. If your handles have a removable shell holder you might be able to use it for similar sized cases (actually they're called adapters). Some photos and numbers would help identify what you've got.

Boolit Master

Steel handles marked 30-06 will usually work only with cases that are in the 30-06 case family (There are may in that family). If your die sets came in orange plastic boxes and have a small adapter ring that is meant to screw into the handles, Then you are going to need handles that were meant to have the ring screwed into place. Those handles are usually made of alloy and painted black. Steel handles that take the adapter rings were only made for a couple of years at most, and command a higher price. You are most likely gonna need a large set and a small set for your dies.
    Last edited by square butte; 04-06-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome to the World of Things 310, jgh4445. Currently, Lyman makes so-called "Universal" handles in Large and Small spigot size to allow for longer or shorter cases. What makes them universal is the adaptor ring that screws into the inside of the threaded hole that also holds the various dies. The inside diameter of that ring is gauged to accept the various calibers... your die sets, if late enough, may even have the rings included.

The matter gets complicated with the older, caliber marked tools. These have a hole bored through from the inside specific for a cartridge or family of cartridges of similar body diameter. You will need handles that accept the correct adaptor rings to make your dies functional or to find older, steel handles marked for the cartridges you have. BTW, you may be able to get the 45 Colt dies to actually work with Large handles... no guarantees, but stranger things have happened and it doesn't cost anything to try.

Drop me a PM if you want to discuss the finer points or have specific questions.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you. I'll try to get some pictures of what I have this afternoon and maybe you can help sort it out.
    Ask an American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did for his lands and his way of life. Then, think about your children's and grandchildren's future.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to Green Frog, I understand better what I have now. My alloy set will work for my 45Colt, but alas, the nickel steel 30-06 dedicated tool would have to be reamed to make the 45-70 die fit. Not opposed to having the reamoing done if I can find someone who can do it, but I'll continue to look for a large handle tool. Both my die sets are new " in the orange box" Lyman sets. Both include screw in adaptors. The steel 310 tool I have, does not have threads in the adaptor hole, nor does it have a hole for a set screw to hold the adaptor in. The search will continue.

If no one on here replies to a want to trade or want to buy post, then try Ebay. I have found most of what I have on there.
    Leo