MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

View Poll Results: What kind of press to load boolits on?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single Stage

63 36.42%
  • Turret

88 50.87%
  • Progressive

74 42.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: To turret or not to turret?

My first press was a little Lyman AA (I think), that I bought in the early ‘70’s. I’ve used turrets ever since. I can’t fathom constantly change dies for each reloading step, and every caliber! memtb

Boolit Master
    I've used a Rock Chucker for most of the 25 years or so I've been loading. Had a Dillon SDB that I loaded 45 acp on and it was a real work horse too. But I was able to locate a Lee Classic Turret online a couple nights ago. Also got an Auto disc, riser and 9mm, .38 & .44 powder through expander dies for it. I will continue to size and deprime on my APP and hand prime. The Rock Chucker will be doing my rifle loads.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've never had access to a turret press, went from single stage to an Auto Champ when I was assisting in classes and shooting mass rounds every weekend. Could try one tho

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've always stuck with a single stage press. The majority of kablooeys I know of were the result of a progressive. As far as a turret press goes, I have no problem with those.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    I've never used a turret as an advance. Maybe I should.

I have a pair of single stage presses next to each other that I use for a lot of my pistol loading.

I do volumetric powder - scooping. So I do the resize and deprime in large batches when I prep. then I prime off the press. I just have the powder/expanding and the seat/crimp set up in two presses next to each other.

Maybe I should try making the turret do the advance thing and see if I can improve my speed. and maybe figure out the autodisk.
    --
    Shoot more!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345