Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: New to me Ruger 1911 9mm, range report!

Boolit Master

New to me Ruger 1911 9mm, range report!

Today I traded into a new Ruger SR1911, 9mm. Everything is right and tight in all the right places. The trigger was super slick, and after a short takeup, broke consistently at around#2! It has the commander size frame, bobbed hammer and beavertail safety, with an aluminum frame, 3dot sights.

Now for the shooting, I could only get 7 rounds in one clip, the other took all 9 without a hitch. I put a box up against my fence, paced off a little over 17 yds, and took aim at a USPS blue sticker, about 1 1/2 inches square. I did not see the first two shots so I walked up to the target, and saw them touching each other, right in the center of the blue box! I walked back, shot 2 more, each touching a corner of the blue sticker, with 5 round left, I only had2 rounds out of the blue sticker, one high, and one low, both within half an inch of the sticker. I was pretty impressed, because honestly, my handgun shooting has been off since having a hip replaced 8 weeks ago, but have been shooting one almost daily last 3 weeks. I put the clip in with 7 rounds and shot a bullet hole off to itself and started shooting at the hole, aim small, miss small. Four of the rounds cut a hole about an inch long, and the other3 were right besides it. The magazine did not catch on the last shot, several times. I then reloaded both clips, and picked out some cow patties in the field at 100yds, give or take. Now these were big flops, about a foot long and 5-6 inches tall. On the first shot, I held a little high, and shot over, the second one did the same, but the next four all went into it, and the last and the last 3 all cut the edge, one side or the other. Now this is shooting off hand,but as I said before, I shoot at this distance a lot, have a 150 yd range out of my carport. I put the clip in that would only take 7, and hit another cow flop, a little smaller, 5 out of 7, and those two were probably because I was getting a little excited about how this pistol shot, it was making me look good. Then the cows came over to see what was going on with their flops exploding, and I had to stop shooting. I am well impressed with this firearm, and after cleaning it, I called Ruger to complain about the mag, and they stated they would send me a new one out, with a labeled envelope to send the old one back, postage pre paid. Now that is good service, even though it sucked to have a new mag and pistol not function correctly, or should I say the mag only because the pistol never hiccupped. I was shooting 115gr fmj Federals, the 100 round box you can get at wally world, but I will soon be loading some Lee 124gr tumble lube slugs and see how they do. Just thought I would share.
    Last edited by koger; 04-05-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Sounds like you got a good 'un! A keeper. I've never yet heard/read a bad report about the Ruger 1911s.

I have the SR1911 Officer Model in 9mm & really like it.

Initially I was having some magazine problems (one was about impossible to fully load & the other wasn't easy). Like you the AAA class customer service of Ruger had me 2 magazines + a prepaid label for the return of the difficult ones coming to me pronto. While the magazines were on their way I shot the gun quite a bit & when the replacement magazines arrives, the 2 original mags had healed themselves.

I paid Ruger for the 2 extra mags & I'm happy happy happy.

Henry

Boolit Master

I have the SR1911 too and love it it shoots great as far a magazines I use these and the run great https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod84195.aspx
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy

I have a Ruger SR1911 in 9mm as well and so far it's been a pleasure to shoot. I ran some 115gr LRN through mine and some 115 fmj. Very tight right out of the box and very accurate. Can't wait to get it back out to the range again!