Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TCP let me down as wild dogs were running towards me

Banned
    +1 on HiPoint
    Look into a Tokarev or Makarov these are "bulletproof" ( in my experience and from what I've read and seen) IF you have good ammo, they'll always go bang.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Yep. Commies don't mess around when it comes to weapons!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Hi points new design on the 9mm looks interesting. It's still not available though.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

A friend was showing me a couple pistols he had inherited a few years back. On the phone he had told me that one was a U.S. military revolver, and the other was an automatic of some kind. It turned out that the revolver was marked "US" on the grips, because it was made by "US Revolver Co", a pre-WWI, very low quality, cheap gun. The Automatic was a cheap .25acp of some kind. He said it didn't seem like it functioned right. It turned out it just had decades of grime and dried oil gumming up the works. He told me later that his wife threw them away because she didn't think he should have guns.

Maybe I missed it, but do you know exactly what the malfunction was with the TCP? I have one that has worked well for me, but I don't carry it.

Banner Sponsor

I have an East German Makarov and absolutely love it. It is very well finished and has a smooth action. I liked it so much that I got rid of my Walther PP in 32acp.

Boolit Master
    I would just like to mention, since I did not earlier, but while I also liked the HiPoint idea, I would certainly not want anyone to think I meant to get rid of the TCP.

On the contrary, I think the TCP should be checked for what caused the issues, be it the pistol or the ammo & STILL get a HiPoint, if nothing else, just to have one for some fun shooting & even as a tool..

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Not to say this was the case, but this thread is a good opportunity to mention re installing factory springs in a carry gun if you have previously swapped them out for range use.

Boolit Master
    High Point....stake your life on...don't think so... Had two students with them... First day with one the slide broke in half and lunched itself down range...

The second student's gun ran fine for the first session...about 100+ rounds or so... Halfway through the second session it started FTF and would never run right again...

Both got better guns....

If you can afford a 4-wheeler and a S&W 329 get a Glock for your saddle bag... a good LE trade-in in 9mm or 40 S&W will last a lifetime and "should" go bang every time....

Bob

Boolit Master

I had my 380's out today. I had 2 click no bangs with 2 different guns. CCI primers. Tried a restrike on both no go.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Banned

the OP has exhibited a classic reason for a civilian carrying a revolver, preferably a snubby, too.

USMC 77, USRA 79

My lady is completely the opposite.. she loves her slide guns and has them in 25acp and her Sig 9mm and doesn’t leave home without both of them. I take my 44 wheeler.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    It's been raining pretty steadily out here since I wrote this, but you can bet, as soon as I can, I'm gonna put that TCP thru it's paces with that "ammo that functions in the TCP" and see what happens.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

My Kel-Tec P32 looks pretty rough. It's hot in Florida and I sweat a lot even in shorts. It hasn't always been cleaned as often as it should and when it goes to the range it goes before being cleaned. I use the ammo and mag that were in it for carry. It has never failed, even though cleaning it afterward I discover enough pocket lint that it should have caught fire.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    It's been raining pretty steadily out here since I wrote this, but you can bet, as soon as I can, I'm gonna put that TCP thru it's paces with that "ammo that functions in the TCP" and see what happens.
    if it was me and my gun failed when I needed it I would never trust it unless it was my fault my reloads or not clean full of pocket lint
    my carry guns get cleaned and lubed once a month if it needs it or not
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    I had my 380's out today. I had 2 click no bangs with 2 different guns. CCI primers. Tried a restrike on both no go.
    I DO NOT trust CCI or Remington pistol primers for ammo that I may use to protect myself. Too many hard ones encountered in firearms that run perfectly with Winchester and Federal primers or factory ammo. They are relegated to practice use only and I won't buy anymore of them if possible.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I had a close encounter with a pack of wild dogs around 40 years ago. I was fortunate that they never caught wind of me and I didn't need to shoot.
    There were eight of the dirtiest, mangiest looking dogs you ever saw. I climbed a tree and the dogs never knew I was there.
    It could have been a problem since I was out alone and only had five bullets with me.
    At that time, there were many reports of dog packs running wild in the area. Many of the farmers were having problems with them.
    I never saw them again so I expect they got cleaned out by an irate farmer.

I have never had an issue with any American made primers as far as going bang. That said, I never lighten the springs that drive the firing mechanism in my handguns. I like reliability.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I DO NOT trust CCI or Remington pistol primers for ammo that I may use to protect myself. Too many hard ones encountered in firearms that run perfectly with Winchester and Federal primers or factory ammo. They are relegated to practice use only and I won't buy anymore of them if possible.
    I have used winchester primers and they all fired. Going to go back to them. Thanks.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Remington 1 1/2 pistol primers have extremely soft material and are the easiest to indent of any small pistol primer. That said, due to their softness they are not appropriate for loads exceeding much over 25-30,000 psi as they will pierce. If your gun cannot indent 1 1/2s there is something seriously wrong with it.

Glad it wasn’t worse. I won’t bash the gun brand, but always test a lot before trusting your life with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Worrying about such a thing when you take care of the gun, avoid doubtful things like light spring replacements and assemble good ammo with a good track record is pointless.

Just mind what matters, do what matters and get on with life. Learn from experience and endeavor not to repeat mistakes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast