Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners

Thread: 5mm rimfire?

5mm rimfire?

I always thought this was pretty much obsolete. Cost a fortune at gunshows in the past when you came across it.
    Maybe I've just been out of the loop.
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...on/rimfire/5mm
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I wanted one real bad in the mid 70s, glad I never got it! 26$ for 50 still seems a fortune! Maybe it will make a comeback.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have one or two of those hens teeth that are actually tie pins. Made by the manufacturer and given out as promo's. Got them from a guy's estate that was an expert marksman and a Savage sales rep.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    I was in Darwin Australia with the Army in early 1975 cleaning up after Cyclone Tracy which devastated that town, a mate and I found a gun shop which had an Anschutz 22 magnum which I purchased and my mate purchased a lovely Remington 5mm RF and one box of ammo, that was the last box of ammo he ever got as it was unavailable when we returned to our Brisbane base. It was a nice cartridge and I can not understand why it never gained the following of the magnum. Regards Stephen

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Still have a 5mm Remington rifle ,the bolt action , but the bolt is missing .Belonged to a mate of mine who passed away , never found the bolt , but he had 1000 rounds of remington ammunition for it .Unfortunately the ammo went missing when the police secured his house and firearms when he was found dead in his house .The firearms were returned to his family but the ammunition never was .Suspect one of the cops knew how rare the ammo was and moved it on for a profit .

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Remington 591 and got rid of it when ammo was discontinued. It was a fun gun that gave the .22 Mag a run for it's money.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I saw an old 5m/m rifle and new boxes of ammo at the show today . I'm still happy with the .22 magnum .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I suspect that is the cause of it’s demise. In that time, just as good as an existing round was not going to generate enough interest for survival. Practical use on critters they were fraternal twins. Not many people just went to the range to shoot at targets like today. I thought it was cool, but not enough better than the 22lr for the cost. But then I think the same of 22Mag and the 17 mags, 22hornet covers that range for me.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned
    I just looked those up on Wikipedia. Very interesting. It looks like the cases are thicker brass than a 22WMR. So the 22WMR cases probably could not be necked down to reload them. But maybe. If anyone has any empty cases and would like to send me a couple I will see if I can reload them or neck down 22 WMR to make them. If so, the cartridges could be reloaded for about a penny per.
    Last edited by Traffer; 04-07-2019 at 07:06 PM.

I looked it up on Midway and Aguilla makes ammunition for it and is available at $28 per 50. High priced but cheaper than a lot of centerfire stuff.

It was a great idea, but did not have quite the hype the 17's had when it came out. As I remember it was a short lived run. It was a good little rimfire but I will admit Remington had a talent for messing up a good cartridge introduction. The 244/6mm was a very good cartridge but was not properly offered. The 260 should have been more popular but was not available in a standard sporter. They had short mags in the ventilated rib carbines but they are also dead.

DEP

Boolit Master
    If memory serves, the base diameter of the 5mm is larger than the 22WMR. Someone was doing cf conversions to the 591 and selling turned cases and dies. If I could find a cheap 591, it would become a 32swl!

I bought two boxes a month or so ago. It hurt, but had to be done. I wanted some and missed it the last time a round some years back. They did a run then stopped because it didn't sell. So this time I'm buying, painful as it is. next time I order stuff I'll grab another box or two.
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Master
    I remember wanting to get one ages ago, but I wasn't in any hurry though. But it was discontinued while I was still thinking about it. I think I read about it in a gun magazine, and shortly after that it was discontinued. I didn't own a 22 WMR rifle at the time, so it would have been a good fit then. But I think that Remington was trying real hard to create a competitor for the 22 WMR at the time. Unfortunately for them the 22 WMR was pretty well entrenched and fairly popular too. It may well have been able to catch on if they didn't so quickly give up on it and discontinue it. That was way back before the internet and news spread slowly back then. Most people did not read gun magazines anyway. Gun stores would have been slow or reluctant to order the guns in to sell. So basically people didn't really know about it.

Boolit Master
    Wouldn't it be nice if Aquila made enough of a run of .32 long rimfire to satisfy the need? I'll bet it would sell quickly, as would a run of .32 Long Colt if sold at a reasonable price.