RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about AR lowers or Why 80% lowers

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever

Question A question about AR lowers or Why 80% lowers

This looks like the place to ask.
    First a little background. I am putting together another AR lower. I am going to use an Anderson unit as I have found them to be well made and consistent as well as low priced. (under 50 bucks in my area.)

There are many options to choose from. Colors, special engraving ect. (none of which I have an interest in.) Another option is/are the 80 % lowers.

Now for the question:

Why would anyone go with a 80% receiver? They cost more. You have to do a certain amount of machine work in order that they function correctly. When you are done, you have a functional gun that you can't sell, even at cost. You can't trade it to a dealer(the ones that I have talked to will not trade in guns made after 1968 that aren't numbered) And we all know that at some point in the next few decades there will be no transfer without going through a FFL (whether we like it or not, it only takes one election cycle!).

The two reasons I can think of are:
    1. To see if I can actually do the work to make the thing work.
    2. Reasoning of the Bubbas in my area: I don't want the gubmint to know I have firearms. Which we all know doesn't hold water.

What am I missing here?

If I have gotten to political or stepped on toes, my sincere apology but I have been wondering about this for some time.

Banner Sponsor

The wife and I put an 80% gun together. We were watching the news and they had a segment on "Ghost Guns". So the wife says that if she can build one, then maybe they have something to worry about...
    It sounded like a fun project to me, so I ordered the kit and a jig. She did everything except the machining the pocket for the trigger, hammer and safety. She wanted to do that part, but I got started just to see how it would go and before I knew it, I was done and she was tapping her foot at me.
    It all went together without a hitch. There was one small problem with the hole for the safety. The jig must have slipped or something because the safety selector doesn't line up at an exact 90deg. Everything functions correctly, and it will hold 1" ish groups.

With lowers being that cheap, I'd probably just go with a completed one instead.

The 39 dollar Anderson lowers are much cheaper once you figure in the price of the jig and bits and all especially if you can find one local.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I wouldn’t waste your time. It’s meant to have an illegal, unregistered firearm. You have to buy a jig and a lot of screwing around to find out you messed up or it doesn't function properly. Kinda throwing money way imo. I’d spend another $30 and buy a completed one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I wouldn’t waste your time. It’s meant to have an illegal, unregistered firearm. You have to buy a jig and a lot of screwing around to find out you messed up or it doesn't function properly. Kinda throwing money way imo. I’d spend another $30 and buy a completed one.
    There is nothing illegal about it. A person can manufacture a firearm for their own use. If you strike the "illegal" from your response, I'd agree 100%

I've heard of folks doing it so they don't raise suspicion having a larger quantity of firearms than most folks do. Heard of folks having hundreds of guns and more ammo than can be hauled in a pickup truck bed. While it ain't illegal here that I know of to have that kind of stockpile. If you went down and bought 2 ARs every month and a case of ammo, it'd get you noticed. And while the government ain't supposed to be watching firearms sales, I've heard of them checking out such activities on an "anonymous" tip.

Folks figuring that if it hits they'll supply the resistance.

Boolit Master
    Awe come on, its AMERICA!!!! Land of the FREE! Narrow mindedness needs to be in europe!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

When they were first fielded, they had a place, besides the "I made this" reason. It was indeed to have an off the books rifle/pistol, and at the time relatively inexpensive. Due to the availability and popularity of ARs, you couldn't find one for private sale. Now, with so many inexpensive lowers available and many option for private sale they dont make sense unless you just want to DIY.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Depending on where you live they are cheaper. When I was stationed in California 6 years ago an 80% lower was cheaper. So you could save some money by group buying the tooling and building a bunch with friends. Also have the "i built this" factor. It is perfectly legal to manufacture your own gun. I am stationed in Florida now and they are pretty cheap here. Now it is done for the "I built this factor" and spite by legally circumventing the law. I for one dont like the government knowing what I buy. I sure didnt trust California know what i had.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I would say the biggest draw is the diy aspect. I can get a “ghost” gun thru private sales.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Thanks for the replies! Good to know that I am not to far afield.

Boolit Master
    Was a time not long ago when even Anderson was $250, those 80% sure were alot cheaper. Yea a $40 lower seems cheaper, but you still gotta do the transfer. Not seen to many places doing them for less than $50, so now its $90. And I can get a billet lower for that price. The jig was the big cost hurdle to do one. I split the cost with a friend he did a couple, I did a couple.

As for the idea its illegal or stupid, whatever. If one is capable of following directions, sort of like reloading, its hard to screw up an 80% lower.

Boolit Master

Not only ARs but nowadays you can DIY build Glocks, Sigs, 1911s...& I'm not talking 3D printing yet

Boolit Buddy
    There's also the ability to order them through the mail. And no waiting a week because some guy has a similar name.
    If you've built up a collection of uppers and now decided you want each to have it's own lower, it's not a bad idea.

If you're in no hurry, you can do better than $50 from time to time. While buying the tools to mill one lower may not make the best financial sense, making 10ish would offset the cost pretty well.

Also, I believe you can sell them (just like any other gun) if you have them engraved with caliber ("multi-cal" is fine) and a serial number. There are height and depth requirements. You just can't manufacture with the intent to sell.

If you have them engraved, it's easiest to do so before milling. Anyone can do it at this point. Afterwards probably nobody but a gunsmith will touch it. And you either have to stand there the whole time or they get documented and you basically get treated like a new sale, defeating the purpose of all your efforts.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I'd consider an 80% lower, just because I like doing/building things with my own hands. I didn't get into metal shop in school, but I sure wish I would have, and wood shop has some fond memories. Everything in life COSTS something, weather it be effort or money or time, most likely all of the above. I just need to decide how to proportion it all.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Moderator Emeritus

Had the same discussion with my LGS and basically came to the same conclusion. Just not worth it as my LGS charges $25 for a transfer up to four per transaction. He had gotten a few really cheap. When he went back for more the price had doubled.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Guess your right....

Quote...

“While it is 100% legal to complete and build your own AR 15 on an 80% lower receiver without any type of serialization or registration, one should be aware of a few facts.

First, your firearm cannot be traced in the event it is lost or stolen.

Second,

you may be called into question about the possession of such a firearm if your vehicle or home is ever searched by law enforcement. Although 100% legal, make sure you know the law and be even more certain you can defend your right of non-registration adequately.”

I’d still buy one that’s been manufactured for $40 more. Guess it’s OK to own but can’t legally sell I with out registering it and getting a serial number etched in it. Which we all know would never happen.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    Was a time not long ago when even Anderson was $250, those 80% sure were alot cheaper. Yea a $40 lower seems cheaper, but you still gotta do the transfer. Not seen to many places doing them for less than $50, so now its $90. And I can get a billet lower for that price. The jig was the big cost hurdle to do one. I split the cost with a friend he did a couple, I did a couple.

As for the idea its illegal or stupid, whatever. If one is capable of following directions, sort of like reloading, its hard to screw up an 80% lower.
    I have bought an Anderson stripped lower for the $50 and the 4473 didn't cost anything. I think other states charge for the background check but Michigan doesn't so far. Right after I bought the one I got they had a sale and were letting them go for $40. That was Gander Outdoors, this was true in Saginaw and Kalamazoo that I know of personally.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

If you look at the dates of the post and the prices they state it let you know why now is a good time to buy stripped lowers at 50 bucks each. Warning when you have a few lowers laying in the safe all naked you will start buying uppers. It kind of like you get one lower and swap uppers yea right those two pins will be to much trouble you think and well you figure it out.

Oh this may be the time you look back at and say man I wished I knew what I know now I got everything I could afford then. I have added to my collection for that reason and the price so when the price is up I just coast along without regret.
    Last edited by RP; 04-06-2019 at 12:15 AM. Reason: added
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Warning when you have a few lowers laying in the safe all naked you will start buying uppers.
    Spare parts are just new gun seeds.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast