WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Effects of Recoil on Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If you want to work on recoil management then try a long barrel muzzle loader with 400+ gn bullets and large dose of powder. Bullet stays in the barrel a while

And, yes, I find that it is better when I do not try to 'manage' the recoil. Just a good, repeatable shooting position.
    Not to be picky.....but recoil control is the name of the game.

I once tried to "manage" recoil in my 26" CVA shooting ~500+ grain boolits. They were from a Lee mold that was meant for a 50-70cal. I was shooting 90gr of Pyro P in it. I called it my 50-90 project. I thought it would be easier to sight in the gun on a primose group therapy rest. Not quite like a lead sled, but ended up providing too much resistance.

What happened was I would get groups ALL over the place. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Finally, I realized(by way of some members on here) the recoil was too much to trap in a contraption like that. I forget the exact comments, but it was along the lines of too much rearward resistance will make the barrel recoil elsewhere, which in turn would send bullets off in different directions.

I did not put two and two together back then to realize what was going on. I simply took it out of the rest and sighted it in off bags. That worked perfectly and I did not give the barrel jumping around much thought after that.

Maybe its the little things like that over time which have finally put the puzzle together for me. To control the recoil straight back is the best, and at the very least the same direction each time, that way the bullet leaves the same place each time and is not directed elsewhere.

Boolit Master
    Yep, you stopped trying to 'manage' the recoil too much. Good shooting position is the best way to approach the problem, which is what you did.

Funny thing happened at the range the other day. Marlin 22lr semi. Shoots good. So I'm watching and trying to control trigger pull. Dang, I'm moving the rifle BEFORE IT GOES BANG! Fore-end rested on bag (bore is 2 1/2" above pivot), stock on rear bag & shoulder. Wrist/finger action (muscle flex) when pressing trigger rotates the rifle! Other problem when higher recoil cals, hard to get square to bore line with most range benches. Not square and the butt slips on the shoulder 'pocket' and bingo - horiz. stringing.
    Another example, SIL & I friendly bet. His 336 in 308MX and mine in 30/30- 100 yds off the same lead sled. He clover-leaf'd 3 shots, my group was larger. Both Hornady FTX. I put my hand on the pistol grip to fire, he just used thumb and forefinger. For same load, rifle barrel whip will be approx. the same if the gun is any good. It's the shooter that is different.
    Last edited by popper; 05-10-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    Whatever!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I still say the best way to get recoil under control is have a couple dummy rounds and let someone else load your gun for you at the range. If range is crowded this works better after you flinch a couple times when the gun doesn't go off and look the fool you will stop doing it in short order. It works this is how i learned to control recoil.

It works this is how i learned to control recoil. Control recoil or realize the problem? I realize it when looking through the scope, I'm not seeing POI. Flinch? You don't see the intended POI when pulling the trigger. Real flinch occurs BEFORE trigger pull. Called anticipation! Only way to beat it is concentration DURING the shot. Extra ear protection does help - IMHO noise causes the flinch, not pain or recoil. Watch your pet's reaction to a sudden loud noise vs a swift 'kick'.
    The other thing I learned from field & shotgun shooting. Shoulder drop! Your muscles are tensed up (hunched) when aiming but at the bang, they relax and your shoulder will drop slightly. Your trigger side elbow will drop too. Even happens on the bench. Causes me to hit the 'bird' on the left side or miss left. Most of what we call recoil problems are our reaction, not the gun thump.
    Last edited by popper; 05-10-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    Whatever!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456