Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Micro 380 slide stuck open

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Kimber Micro 380 slide stuck open

Well, had my first serious problem with the Micro today. Was shooting my standard 3.1 grains Bullseye/Lee 356-102-2R and,after a few flawless mags, the slide suddenly locked halfway open. I can pull the slide back but it gets stuck halfway closed. Feels like the slide is running into something, the slide release is pressed down and doesnt appear to be broken. I haven't had a chance to get into it yet, will do so tonight. Any ideas about what it could be?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I think a round trip to Kimber might be in order.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong but that sounds like a bulged Barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I sincerely hope I'm wrong but that sounds like a bulged Barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    My thinking also, had a friend hand me his .380 with the slide stuck halfway, long story short he had shot old ammo that came with the gun (no idea how stored or how old) 3 shots when the slide got stuck, what I figured the second shot was weak and got wedged halfway down, the third went into battery and blew the second bullet out when fired along with bulging the barrel, I still have the barrel which has 2 splits from the pressure.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

It does sound like a bulged barrel issue.

Boolit Master

As someone who has bulged a barrel it does sound like a bulged barrel.

Good luck.
    NRA Benefactor.

Looks like a chunk of slide came off and has wedged itself between the feed ramp and slide. Yep, going back to Kimber. Tried to upload pics but its not cooperating.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I had a Springer 1911 Mil Spec do that last year. Just a fluke!

BTW, my TLE 380 is doing awesome! Kimber will take care of it for you.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Took the Micro to the gunsmith after work, I figured I would let her look it over before sending it back. Turns out the rear plate on the slide had slipped down and was catching the hammer! Snapped it back in place and everything seems to function perfectly. Field stripped the pistol and found no damage of any sort.

I'm still going to let her give it a good inspection and test fire. This has never happened before and I sure wouldnt want it to happen when my life depends on it!

Boolit Master

Do you think it’s from the recoil of your loads?

I put an extra power recoil spring in all my 1911 types. And my 380s especially! Makes it harder to cycle the slide, but easier on the frame.

Boolit Master

if the firing pin retaining plate fell down once, it'll more than likely do it again. lightly peen the edges or backside of it, to give a tighter fit in the slide.

Thanks. I have also read that an extra power firing pin spring can solve this problem.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Thanks. I have also read that an extra power firing pin spring can solve this problem.
    That can invite other issues.

I’d get a new firing pin stop and have it fitted. Or send it back. Either way.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I would call Yonkers and tell them about it. I would want them to look it over.

I left it at the gunsmith's shop, she is going to inspect it and test fire. Other than this and a defective mag release that Kimber replaced, the Micro has been totally reliable. I think I am going to save up and get a Sig P238 and let the Micro be my wife's gun. She wont shoot it much and doesnt carry, so it should never give her any problems.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I left it at the gunsmith's shop, she is going to inspect it and test fire. Other than this and a defective mag release that Kimber replaced, the Micro has been totally reliable. I think I am going to save up and get a Sig P238 and let the Micro be my wife's gun. She wont shoot it much and doesnt carry, so it should never give her any problems.
    The Sig is a great pistol too, but I don’t see it as stronger than the Micro. Just bulkier.
    And magazines are expensive, but I think they will take the Metalform magazines, so might be a wash.

If I don’t have my TLE, I think I would get the Colt Mustang XSP. It’s a polymer lower, and can have sights replaced. I loved mine! My favorite niece got it. Haven’t found another locally since.

Kimber must of had a batch of bad mag releases cause I had problems with a couple on an Ultra and Micro 9. And heard of several others, about a year ago. All have been since.

Lefty

Thanks. Everything I have read indicates that Sig, Colt, and Kimber .380's all use the same mags. I'm going to tell the gunsmith to go ahead and send it back to Kimber. They will probably just replace a bunch of parts under warranty, which is fine.

Boolit Master

My SA 911 wouldn’t take Kimber mags nor the Metalform ones. I got rid of it because it’s just not built to the quality that the Sig/Kimber/Colts are. The barrel looked like it was from Kel Tec! Very accurate though and great trigger on it.

Seems like that is SOP for several manufacturers when something comes back, just change everything out to be safe.

Lefty

Hmm, that's strange. Never buy the first generation of anything!

Boolit Master
    Just curious - will they honor a warranty if they know that reloads were used?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast