Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Another reason to powder coat with bright colors

Boolit Buddy

Another reason to powder coat with bright colors

Cleaned out my bullet catcher today, those bright colors are easy to spot in the dark rubber mulch. This catcher is right out my basement doors so I can test loads and make modifications to powder or what ever need to be done. This is for hand guns only. The jacketed hollow points were full of wood where they went through the 1/2 plywood and did not expand at all, may need to up the powder charge to make them mushroom.

I am still working to get mine to mushroom. This year I will try adding more pure lead to get the hardness down. I also PC so I am not to worried about leading. I will keep an eye out for it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Cleaned out my bullet catcher today, those bright colors are easy to spot in the dark rubber mulch. This catcher is right out my basement doors so I can test loads and make modifications to powder or what ever need to be done. This is for hand guns only. The jacketed hollow points were full of wood where they went through the 1/2 plywood and did not expand at all, may need to up the powder charge to make them mushroom.
    I doubt you'll ever get hollow points to expand by shooting them through wood.

The wood has a bad habit of plugging the hollow point.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy

Wouldn't shooting through clothes or hitting a bone in a body do the same thing?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I tried some Accoww with 2%pewter added out of my 2” barreled 44 mag with trail boss into some pallets. They started to mushroom and not fragment with the low velocity. One hp swallowed a piece of wood. All were found within inches of laying on the ground next to the the two pallets I had stacked together. I have pics on my home page of the red pc expanded pallet shot boolits if you want to check them out. A Softer alloy is the answer to expansion.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Wouldn't shooting through clothes or hitting a bone in a body do the same thing?
    You're starting to get it.

It's why the FBI has the barrier test. Clothing can plug a hollow point. Bone, nope, it's too hard.
    NRA Benefactor.

Vendor Sponsor

softer lead is the answer to expansion .. with PC you can go softer and still avoid most if not all leading issues ..
    do small casting and shooting batches adding more and more pure PB to confirm
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    You're starting to get it.

It's why the FBI has the barrier test. Clothing can plug a hollow point. Bone, nope, it's too hard.
    Is bone harder denser than plywood? One of the old standards for the Army was 68 ft/lbs of force to be considered to cause a fatal wound. They used 1" pine boards, not sure if white pine or yellow pine, yellow pine has high tensil strength mechanical properties. These were jacketed hollow points that were recovered after going through 1/2" plywood,1/4" rubber mud flap and another 1/2" plywood board, can't remember what revolver they were shot out of maybe a Ruger sercuity six with 6 in barrel.
    Last edited by owejia; 04-04-2019 at 03:48 PM.