WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Value of a Ruger security six

Value of a Ruger security six

I just found a Ruger security six with a six inch barrel at a local store. It is in excellent condition.
    What would be it’s value?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Condition is everything. Typical price range on GunBroker is from $350-$750 with LNIB guns and stainless models running more, and worn, but serviceable "shooter" grade ones less.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Those are robust, accurate revolvers. It would be tough to say "No" to such an example if pricing was reasonable.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

I still have my wifes 4" security six here its a solid robust revolver. I seldom shoot it but wont sell it for nostalgia reasons. It was purchased around 1984.

Boolit Grand Master
    25-30 dollars less than a comparable Smith in you area would sell for. If a Blued 19 would go for 600-650, then a similar Security Six would be 570-625. Hereabouts the 6 inchers tend to be cheaper than the more concealable 2 3/4 and 4 inch. A 4 inch Security Six is just about the perfect handgun for the one-gun-man: robust, concealable in a very good holster, powerful, accurate, it does many things well.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Taz

I picked up one a couple of years ago, 90% and box, for $450. It have seen then going for up to $500 in the save condition.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

$400 plus around here unless it's really ratty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    I don't know what they go for in your area but those are excellent guns.

I'm not a fan of 6" barreled revolvers (not against them, just not my favorites) but the Ruger DA Six series guns were, and still are, outstanding guns.
    The size of a S&W K-frame with the strength of a L-frame.

I also concur with rintinglen's statement that a 4" Security-Six may be the best gun for a "one gun man".

The DA six's aren't rare (Ruger made about 1.2 million) but the last one left the factory in 1988.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-06-2019 at 06:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    I bought my first one in 77. it is stamped made in the 200 th year. which means it was made in 1976. it is 4" ss. I carried it for years. I retired it 2 years ago. what replaced it? a ss 4" security-six made in 1988. paid $390 for it . I also have a 6" blue I got in 1982. paid $200 for that one. I used that one for falling plate. I think they are the best .357 da. pistols ever made.

Thank you all for responding. I haven't been keeping track of the value of these older Rugers. I didn't expect to see one at a local store and definitely not in this nice condition.
    They are asking $360. There will be tax and such but still not a bad price for a very nice gun.
    I have a thing for 6 inch barrels. I know how well the 4 inch guns balance but the 6 inch is almost a good and I shoot them better due to the extra sight radius.

Boolit Master
    at that price I would jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    at that price I would jump on it.
    As soon as they open up tomorrow!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That's the plan.

Good luck, send pics!

Banned
    Be there when they open with cash in hand !

Banned
    Taz, if you get that SS and want to change grips (I think the small factory grips are nearly impossible to live with) Pachmayr still makes the "Gripper" style grip for the square butt Six series (Security and Service Six). It is Pachmayr part #03175. The larger factory wooden, "target" grips offered by Ruger back in the day were a little easier to live with but you don't see those as often.
    Grips are a personal thing and what works for one person may not work for another but I find the Gripper style to be a pretty good all around grip.

The DA Six series disassemble in a similar fashion to the GP-100 but there are a few differences. I can walk you through that if you want.
    The big caution is, don't pull the trigger when the trigger group is out of the frame. If you pull the trigger when the trigger group is out of the frame you will launch some tiny parts to unknown locations !

Good Luck, let us know if you acquire that Security-Six.

Moderator Emeritus

A few years back I had a Ruger “Security-Six” 2 ¾”Bbl. .357Mag Stainless Revolver which was made in 1976, and reckoned if I had, ever, to reduce my wee collection to but one firearm -- this would be it! (Sadly -- as with many other dreams in life, this did not work out as planned -- and -- if I ever come across one...). Back to YOUR query: At a nearby LGS they sold one a few months back with a four-inch barrel (blued) having a $429.99 price tag on it. MY experience is the tag price is their "selling price" plus fifty dollars -- so I'd guess buyer could have gotten it for $379.99 + 8% tax. Or -- if I was the buyer, I would have offered ~ten dollars less, to hopefully leave shop, having given an even $400.00 for it. This firearm looked pretty beat, with holster wear, too, as a side-note. Had it been the short barrel length in stainless, I surely would have tried to make it mine.
    I will say that, at the range, my short-barreled Security Six rivaled my target semi-auto model 52 at the range.... an incredible revolver!
    Good luck!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Taz, if you get that SS and want to change grips (I think the small factory grips are nearly impossible to live with) Pachmayr still makes the "Gripper" style grip for the square butt Six series (Security and Service Six). It is Pachmayr part #03175. The larger factory wooden, "target" grips offered by Ruger back in the day were a little easier to live with but you don't see those as often.
    Grips are a personal thing and what works for one person may not work for another but I find the Gripper style to be a pretty good all around grip.

The DA Six series disassemble in a similar fashion to the GP-100 but there are a few differences. I can walk you through that if you want.
    The big caution is, don't pull the trigger when the trigger group is out of the frame. If you pull the trigger when the trigger group is out of the frame you will launch some tiny parts to unknown locations !

Good Luck, let us know if you acquire that Security-Six.
    Thanks for that information. I will almost certainly be looking for different grips for it. I can usually live with Gripper style.
    I doubt I will be taking the gun apart. That isn't something I normally get into.

Boolit Master
    We look forward to your new gun!

If you desire a set of NOS factory wood bigger (Target) grips,, I may still have a set.

Boolit Grand Master

Well.......you know we’re all waiting to see it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast