WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Value of a Ruger security six

Boolit Master

Got mine in the 80s. If I tried to sell it, my wife would shoot me! That's HER revolver!

Boolit Master
    Bought mine in the early 70's after I got out of the Army. 6 " blued for less than $200.00. Colts and Smiths were too expensive at the time. I have since bought a 27-2 and a Python for a lot more money than I spent on the Ruger. In the mid 80's I would take both sons to a local range. Would turn #1son loose with the Ruger and a 3lb coffe can full of 148gr WCs #2son ( 2yearsyounger) spent time on the adjacent bench with me and a Browning 22 automatic. We would shoot until #1 ran out of ammo. A 3 lb can holds a lot of WCs. Both sons are into shooting and hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Bought mine in the early 70's after I got out of the Army. 6 " blued for less than $200.00. Colts and Smiths were too expensive at the time. I have since bought a 27-2 and a Python for a lot more money than I spent on the Ruger. In the mid 80's I would take both sons to a local range. Would turn #1son loose with the Ruger and a 3lb coffe can full of 148gr WCs #2son ( 2yearsyounger) spent time on the adjacent bench with me and a Browning 22 automatic. We would shoot until #1 ran out of ammo. A 3 lb can holds a lot of WCs. Both sons are into shooting and hunting.
    That sounds like a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I’m very fond of mine. It’s a 6”, .357, in stainless. I’ve had it for 13 years. I Bought it at a garage sale for $200. The guy I bought it from was living with his elderly parents, and going through a divorce. He needed money and was asking for $250. I only had the wife’s “authorization” to spent $200. Times where tight back then. Back then I tried to keep some cash hid away for rainy days. She and I had to drive back home to get the “fun” money that I had stashed away. I raced back to that garage sale because I knew that it was a great deal.
    I live in Washington state, and these days with the new laws buying and selling at a garage sale could get you put in jail.

Banned
    SO ????

Range Report ??

Sweet piece man, congrats. I'd love one with a 4" barrel.

Concerning the abusing of the security six at the armory school, in addition to throwing it down range many times, they also threw it against a block wall a few times and peeled out on it a couple times with a truck. Each person at the course that day got their chance to abuse it. Other than taping the grips together the gun continued to function.

I finally made all the connections and picked up the Ruger yesterday(long story).
    I got to the range and ran a number of different loads through it. Function was perfect. I was getting 3 inch groups at ten yards shooting offhand which is about as good as I can do unless I am having a really good day which I was not.
    It shot the same size groups with nearly everything except a full wadcutter target load I had on hand. That one was tighter.
    My big issue was the factory grips don't let me control the weapon as well as I feel I should. The wood grips allow the gun to turn in my hand in a funny way that is hard to describe. It isn't a consistent movement. I need to get a larger grip for it. Big issue there is it is a 150 prefix lowback design. Hard to find grips for. I am in the process of finding a set of grip that fit it. Not a simple task.
    I think it will be even more accurate than what I was able to do with it on the first trip after I find a set of grips for it.
    The trigger pull was smooth and about the same as my S&W 686. Sights were easy to see and use so no problems there. I am looking forward to working with it to see what the best it has to offer will be.

Banned
    The factory grips are not great. BUT, if you can find a larger set of grips for that 150 prefix Security Six, I think you'll be very happy.

Boolit Master
    I have owned two of those beauties both stainless 4 inch and I let them both get away. The last one was the heavy barrel one. Thay memory is the most pain full. I paid .$250 for it. I think the other one was around $150.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Got mine in the 80s. If I tried to sell it, my wife would shoot me! That's HER revolver!
    Yea, mine is my wifes favorite firearm that I own, she took her concealed carry class with it, 3 people, including the instructor, tried to buy it from her... Um, no. I did have nice light 38's loaded for it.

Boolit Master
    Tazman, I just had a look on Numrich. Looks like there’s a pair of Pachmar Presentation grips for it right now. Hope you find a grip that fits you better. It’s a good gun, but only if you can hold on to it well. Shoes that don’t fit don’t do much good either.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Another option to improve the handeling http://www.t-grips.com/

I bought one to carry on duty in the early 80's. loved it. Shot in the high 97% qualifying when I had to back then. Carried it till I got a 1911 later on. Still got it, rather holster worn, but still shoots well. The only problem I ever had with it was the extractor rod kind of shoots lose. Can't tighten it up enough to keep it tight. It's a 6" blued model that I've changed out the grips to Packmires. Still shoot some mild loads in it and it's still fun. Pry have it till I hand it over to the kids.

Rob

Most of the places I looked for grips, they are all for 151 prefix and higher instead of the older ones that I need.
    Many have no idea that there are two different frame sizes. I can understand that because I didn't know until I bought this one.

Shooting on a shoestring---- I looked at Numrich. The only grips they had seemed to be for the newer frame size. Others didn't have them marked for the different size. Unless they have pictures of the inside of the grip panel, it is hard to tell which ones they are. Some of the Pachmayr boxes are marked that they fit all models of SS6 and Speed6 but they don't.

[QUOTE=Petrol & Powder;4624617]Little pricey but how about these:

I have those saved in my account. I really don't want to spend that much on something I can't hold in my hand first. Lot of money for grips even if they are wood.
    I have contacted several of the people on that site about getting info on which they fit. Most don't have any idea there are two different frames.
    Last edited by Pressman; 04-13-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: eBay link

Banned
    Agreed

Can you take a Dremel tool, rasp or sandpaper to a set of regular wood grips and make them work ?

Banned

how would a ruger security six compare with the gp100's of today?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    The GP-100 design is heavily influenced by the Security/Service/Speed Six design. The GP-100 has some major differences such as the peg style grip frame, the crane locking system, the non-rotating ejector rod and the trigger return spring is different. The overall dimensions of the GP-100 are larger than the DA Six's (cylinder width, top strap thickness, etc.) but most of those differences are minor. The peg style grip frame saves a little weight but most of the GP-100's have full under lugged barrels, so that might be a wash.

The basic designs are very similar between the DA Six's and the GP-100. They both lack removable side plates, they both have trigger groups that hold most of the lock work, they have similar hammer, strut and hammer spring arrangements. Both the GP-100 and the DA Six's are incredibly strong. Both are capable of producing outstanding groups. The GP-100 is not only strong but surprisingly accurate.

There are differences in the lock work. The GP-100 has a cylinder bolt that is part of the trigger group where the DA Six's have a separate cylinder bolt that is powered by a spring and plunger in the center of the crane pivot. The DA Six's have a different style trigger return spring. The DA Six's have cylinders and ejector rods that are closer to the S&W design than the GP-100. The DA-Six's have a lug and a detent under the barrel that locks the forward end of the ejector rod when the cylinder is closed like the S&W system. Ruger abandoned that system with the GP-100 and SP101 and I think that was wise.

Both the GP-100 and the DA Six's respond VERY well to cleaning up the action, added shims as needed and sometimes the replacement of springs.

My biggest complaint about the GP-100 is that it is the equivalent of a S&W L-frame in terms of size and weight, where the DA Six's are very close to the overall size of comparable S&W K-frames.

In the end - the GP-100 and the DA Six's are both AWESOME guns !

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    The Security Six compares to the GP100 like the Model 19 S&W compares to the 586. GP100 is larger, heavier, and stronger.
    The Security Six is more a direct comparison to the Model 19 S&W than anything else. I don't have a model 19 so can't do a physical or photo comparison for you.
    Unlike the model 19 S&W, the Security Six can withstand the stress from full magnum loads for extended periods of use without problems.
    I seems to be such a good gun that I really don't know why Ruger discontinued it. I guess it happened because of the police going to semi auto pistols.

Petrol & Powder posted while I was typing(slowly). His comparison is more detailed than mine by a lot.

Banned
    Ruger made about 1.2 million DA Six's from the early 1970's to 1988.

The GP-100 was introduced in 1985, so there was a little overlap before the DA Six's were discontinued but Ruger clearly didn't want to compete against himself. Many Ruger fans, including me, wish Ruger had continued to make the DA Six's but it just wasn't meant to be.

The L-frame S&W guns were introduced in 1981 IIRC (maybe 1980? going from memory here) and the GP-100 is clearly a L-frame competitor. However, the LE switch from revolvers to pistols was well under way by the mid to late 1980's. The days of LE revolvers were just about over when the Ruger and S&W both introduced excellent .357 magnum revolvers. That's just the way it goes sometimes. The public did get two outstanding revolvers in the process. Unfortunately of the 4 L-frame variants that S&W introduced, only the 686 really made it. The 581, 681 are gone from production. The 586 is hanging on just barely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast