Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: C&B Revolvers. . .Which One?

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    The barrel blanks used for the Pietta 1861 [.36 cal.] models are the same that they use for their 1860 .44 Colts, except with a different bore diameter.
    They're heavier than the Uberti 1861 which have a slightly different barrel taper.

And the Pietta 1861 [London model] has an 8 inch barrel compared to the Uberti 1861's 7.5 inch barrel.

The Pietta 1861 London model also has a steel grip frame and trigger guard as does one of the two Pietta 5.5" Sheriff 1861 models, while
    their other 5.5" Sheriff 1861 has a brass grip frame and brass trigger guard but at a lower price.

All 3 of the Pietta 1861 models are available from Dixie Gun Works.
    Another interesting feature they have is that according to Dixie, they all use #11 percussion caps instead of #10's.

As a side note, quite often the Pietta .36 models can use the factory swagged .375 balls while the Uberti .36's require .380 balls.
    But I'm not sure if the Pietta 1861's can also use the .375 balls or not, since the Dixie spec.'s indicate that their chamber diameter is .376.
    Do you by chance have the Pietta 1861?
    If you do, could you measure the chamber walls at their thinnest?

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Do you by chance have the Pietta 1861?
    If you do, could you measure the chamber walls at their thinnest?
    I don't own one.
    Perhaps someone else here does and can help obtain that measurement.

However, the Kirst Konverter [.38LC] gated conversion cylinder for the Pietta 1851 and 1861 are the exact same unit.
    And the Howell conversion cylinder is also the same for both models.

Boolit Master
    Be careful about using.380" diameter balls in a 61 because you can strip out the caming surface in the barrel. I learned that the hard way.

Boolit Buddy
    I much prefer the Remington (.36 s and .44 s)(Steel Frames). Really like the conversion cylinders in .38 Special and .45 Colt respectively. Hollow base RN lead or hollow base wadcutter lead for the .38 Special Conversion Cylinder. About any lead bullet, of the proper size for the .45 Colt Conversion Cylinder. Much easier for me to disassemble, clean, reassemble and load the Remingtons. Remingtons are more accurate (at least for me). Just one persons opinion.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Buddy
    I much prefer the Remington (.36 s and .44 s)(Steel Frames). Really like the conversion cylinders in .38 Special and .45 Colt respectively. Hollow base RN lead or hollow base wadcutter lead for the .38 Special Conversion Cylinder. About any lead bullet, of the proper size for the .45 Colt Conversion Cylinder. Much easier for me to disassemble, clean, reassemble and load the Remingtons. Remingtons are more accurate (at least for me). Just one persons opinion.
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Articap...dixies website is a typo for the chamber size...its actually .367-.368 ,i have one. I even called them up and spoke to the gunsmith about it bcuz i was hoping i got a gun whos chambers were a couple thousandths over groove diameter. But nope...the 6 and the 7 are just switched. I had a horrible issue buying that gun from dixie, they had mailed me old stock....a pietta with a date code of 2014 with a cylinder gap of almost an 8th of an inch. I had to getna replacement bcuz i wasnt going to accept a 5 year old gun with a huge gap. The replacement was no better...they mixed and matched it with a gun date code body of 2017 but barrel from 2015 and the arbor is slanted to the right so when i look down to aim u can clearly see its pointing to the right instead of dead on straight. Although both measured the standard pietta .367-.368 chamber measurement.

I've been making boolits for percussion revolvers since the seventies.
    Favorite way is to size a boolit on the back half or two-thirds so as to have it seat into the chamber and the front of the boolit shear off like a round ball. Pietta's chambers really make for some back room tinkering

Quote Originally Posted by TheOutlawKid View Post
    Articap...dixies website is a typo for the chamber size...its actually .367-.368 ,i have one. I even called them up and spoke to the gunsmith about it bcuz i was hoping i got a gun whos chambers were a couple thousandths over groove diameter. But nope...the 6 and the 7 are just switched. I had a horrible issue buying that gun from dixie, they had mailed me old stock....a pietta with a date code of 2014 with a cylinder gap of almost an 8th of an inch. I had to getna replacement bcuz i wasnt going to accept a 5 year old gun with a huge gap. The replacement was no better...they mixed and matched it with a gun date code body of 2017 but barrel from 2015 and the arbor is slanted to the right so when i look down to aim u can clearly see its pointing to the right instead of dead on straight. Although both measured the standard pietta .367-.368 chamber measurement.
    You could try Old South Firearms and see if their Traditions Pietta 1861's are any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    I've been making boolits for percussion revolvers since the seventies.
    Favorite way is to size a boolit on the back half or two-thirds so as to have it seat into the chamber and the front of the boolit shear off like a round ball. Pietta's chambers really make for some back room tinkering
    Good Cheer, what equipment do you use to re-size the rear half of a boolit?

< Bigslug - my apologies for the thread drift >
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Getting an education to be sure. . .

I'm liking the ratchet/pawl cam system on the rammer of the '60/'61 pattern guns. Extra leverage seems like a plus.

Also like the simplicity of the '51's brass pin front sight - easy to sort out your elevation issues.

I was mostly sleeping through it this morning, but I did get a kick out of Idris Elba's double-action, swing-out cylinder, .45 Colt-firing '58 Remingtons in The Dark Tower.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
    Good Cheer, what equipment do you use to re-size the rear half of a boolit?

< Bigslug - my apologies for the thread drift >
    A Lyman 450 press. I just don't push them all the way down into the sizer die.

Boolit Master
    Whew, I made it home from the show without giving in. A dealer had a palmetto copy of a colt 1862 pocket navy for 180.00 unfired and I was able to just walk away.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Hawlkeye??? How could you?? Lol
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Had it been a Uberti or second gen colt copy I would have picked it up but being a palmetto I just kept walkin. It seemed a little high to me for a palmetto. Up at Ft.Shenandoah during the nssa nationals most palmetto's are in the 130-150 range.

Boolit Master
    As for the clean-up/corrosion issue, I've been using American Pioneer Powder 3fg and have found that, unlike real BP, it is nicely compressible and very forgiving of a bit too much powder in the chamber. I'm not sure what the manufacturer says about compressing it a bit, but I've never had an issue with it. Clean-up is a snap with just plain water and I've never seen any evidence of corrosion, even a pistol that hasn't been cleaned in a week. Also, for those who modify modern boolits to be used in the undersize chambers, APP is not BP and lubes for smokeless present no problems. I lube my .36 conicals with Carnauba Red and they work just fine. No concrete-like encrustations in the bore or anywhere else. It doesn't tie up cylinder rotation as quickly as BP either. The one difference that is unfavorable for some folks is that velocities are somewhat less with APP, but they go through the paper just fine. YMMV. I've not heard what the possibilities are with a Dragoon or Walker with a fully charged cylinder, but maybe someone here can fill us in on that.

The strongest is the roa next is the 1858. The most powerful is the Walker the most comfortable is the 51 and the 60 colts. I wanted the roa for a long time but settled on a 1858 clone. Had to do a little action work but is a solid shooting gun I carry it as my defender against the 2 legged critters in town and for policing the woods I carry my 45-70s

Boolit Master
    One of the models I wanted but is no longer produced is the Rogers and Spencer .44. A very strong solid frame design for its time. Thick top strap. A fellow at a BP club I once belonged to got one and customized it for bullseye shooting. Full diameter chambers, refined sights, smoothed the action. Modern revolvers would have been hard pressed to do better than what he could with it. They still show up for sale now and then, sometimes new in box.

The primo Remington to get is the one produced for a year or two by Pedersoli. Forged frames, properly dimensioned chambers, match grade barrels. Good luck finding one. They go for quite a bit. Interesting. . . I just looked at their website and those Remingtons are still there. No price, though. Sure would like one of those, but maybe it's like a Maserati - if you have to ask how much it goes for, you can't afford it. No time to look into it further. . .
    Last edited by yeahbub; 04-18-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Once upon a time (1970's) there was a shooting type magazine article about the five shot .577 Webley manstopper.
    If somebody started making replicas I'd probably just have to go get one.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbub View Post
    One of the models I wanted but is no longer produced is the Rogers and Spencer .44. A very strong solid frame design for its time. Thick top strap. A fellow at a BP club I once belonged to got one and customized it for bullseye shooting. Full diameter chambers, refined sights, smoothed the action. Modern revolvers would have been hard pressed to do better than what he could with it. They still show up for sale now and then, sometimes new in box.

The primo Remington to get is the one produced for a year or two by Pedersoli. Forged frames, properly dimensioned chambers, match grade barrels. Good luck finding one. They go for quite a bit. Interesting. . . I just looked at their website and those Remingtons are still there. No price, though. Sure would like one of those, but maybe it's like a Maserati - if you have to ask how much it goes for, you can't afford it. No time to look into it further. . .
    The only thing I don't like about the Rodgers and Spencer is the cylinder pin which is the same as the roa other than that it is at the top of the list

With the various replica versions being made of revolvers that never existed you'd think maybe someone would come out with companion pieces for folks with rifles shooting .490/.495 and .530/.535 round ball. A double action five shot using .535 round ball...
    Oh yeah!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast