Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
PBcastcoLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Star die o ring size

Boolit Buddy

Star die o ring size

Anyone have an idea of what size o ring fits a star die.

3/4" ID x 15/16" OD x 3/16" thick

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

These dies are supposed to have an O-ring? Would it cause problems with the bullet lube not filling the groove?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    These dies are supposed to have an O-ring? Would it cause problems with the bullet lube not filling the groove?
    Not on any of mine. The O-ring is usually chewed off by the third or fourth die changing. The dies are machined so closely that none of mine leak any lube around them even without any O-ring. And any used ones I have bought never had one still on them and they worked perfectly too.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I have lots of Star dies an none have an O-ring. Did the early Stars need an O-ring?

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, some Star dies have the O-ring. I make my own Star dies and I don't use O-rings. I have no leakage problems.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

It's the later Magma machines that use O-rings, one at the top of the die and one at the bottom. There's a groove machined in the wall of the hole where the die goes into the machine. You can usually get away without using the bottom O-ring, but the without the top one, lube leaks pretty bad around the die.

I have 10 Star Sizers, and 1 Magma Sizer (the tall commercial model that holds 3 sticks of lube). The Stars don't require the O-ring, but the Magma does. I just put some grease on the O-ring when I install the die and it slips right in.

If you have a Star machine that is a chronic leaker around the top of the die, you can put a couple wraps of Teflon thread tape around it and trim off the excess once the die is seated. It works "most" of the time.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlmck View Post
    Yeah, I have lots of Star dies an none have an O-ring. Did the early Stars need an O-ring?
    I have seven dies for my Star, none of them have O-rings and none of them leak.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to all.

Boolit Master
    Reloader Fred, 10 Stars? I just lucked into my second for about $110.00 u.s. , and I feel rich.

Yes, I own ten Star sizers, but three of them are on "lifetime loan" to really, really good friends. I have one sitting idle at the moment, but as soon as I finish rebuilding the heater base that had been in a bucket of water for who knows how long, I'll put it to work, too.