Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: AR15 80% Lower Jig Longevity

Boolit Mold

AR15 80% Lower Jig Longevity

I am wondering how many AR15 80% lowers can be finished with an average jig. I bought 10 80% lowers today and am hoping to buy either a couple used jigs or a new one that will be able to finish them all. The lowers I bought were polymer, so I am hoping I will be able to tell if I touch the jig while drilling.

What is your experience with the longevity of these? If you have any that are your favorite or that you would not recommend, please elaborate.

Boolit Master
    If you got one of the jigs that use a trim router probably a long time if you take care of your tool.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

depends on the jig. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and they run the gamut of cheap maybe not even single use plastic ones to top end replaceable bushings and router guides. mine is rated at 20+ by the manufacture and after 5 I think thats way on the low side, I am thinking its going to be good for 50+. probably going to sell mine after a few more, only need just so many and its a very dark gray area doing them for others.

mine was the 5d tactical and its very easy to use and very accurate, the pockets look as good as the factory lowers I have.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    The jig I have has made 10 lowers, hard to tell its been used. But did finally wear out a 25yo router cutting them.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I have looked at the various types, but wanted some real world reviews I could trust. I bought 10 lowers last week, and want something robust enough to do them all.

Boolit Buddy
    In your experience what is the best 80% lower to start with?

Boolit Master
    I really doubt you will find some huge difference on lowers. Not like there are good ones then pot metal wal mart ones. All made of the same chunk of aluminum. I built a billet one, my first one, came out really well. Sold as a blem for $38 vs $90, never did see the flaw. Eventually a billet side charging upper on it. Built a dedicated 9mm one, works fine. And then a regular mil spec forged lower for a 450 bushmaster. All 3 from different sources, none any different than the others in quality.

80% usually it comes down to price or features. Places now doing custom engraving. I do not care if the lower is even marked so won't shell out the extra cash. And some places now are using a screw to hold the spring for the rear take down in, vs having to keep track of it if you take the stock off.