Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Can the Ideal Tool resize ?

Can the Ideal Tool resize ?

Can it resize or is it the only thing it can't do? I have one for a Winchester and it does everything, except resizing after I shoot the cartridges. And cartridges that haven't been resized dont chamber once reloaded.
    I feel like im missing something.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The ideal tong tool has a "muzzle resizer" which neck sizes only. The expander plug has a flaring cone to enable seating cast bullets. You must neck size brass which has been fired in the gun you intend to use them in.

If you have range brass, you will need to FL resize it in a correct die and in a more sturdy press.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

The nutcracker tong tools generally neck size only. Lyman sold cylindrical full size dies designed for use in a bench vise.

So the one in the picture does not do it? Its the only thing it doesnt do.

Boolit Master
    The one illustrated with the nonadjustable chamber doesn't resize at all. It crimps the mouth of the fired and reloaded shell around the boolit as it seats it. It is set up for the boolit cast from the attached mould; not likely to seat or crimp other boolit designs in the right place. It also helps to have a full charge of black powder in the shell to keep the boolit in place.

Generally, at black powder pressures, a fair number of reloadings could be done on a shell, as long as it was fired in the same rifle. Eventually, though, it would get sticky and have to be driven or squeezed into and out of an Ideal hand full-length sizing die.

Are your shells the proper length? Asking just on the off-chance that the crimp is bulging the shell somewhere, just enough to not go in. You might try the Sharpie trick to see where your shell is rubbing in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    The one illustrated with the nonadjustable chamber doesn't resize at all. It crimps the mouth of the fired and reloaded shell around the boolit as it seats it. It is set up for the boolit cast from the attached mould; not likely to seat or crimp other boolit designs in the right place. It also helps to have a full charge of black powder in the shell to keep the boolit in place.

Generally, at black powder pressures, a fair number of reloadings could be done on a shell, as long as it was fired in the same rifle. Eventually, though, it would get sticky and have to be driven or squeezed into and out of an Ideal hand full-length sizing die.

Are your shells the proper length? Asking just on the off-chance that the crimp is bulging the shell somewhere, just enough to not go in. You might try the Sharpie trick to see where your shell is rubbing in the chamber.
    My shells are fine. Its for 40-82. A very complicated cartridge to reload for. I have an extremely long thread in the leverguns section about it.

Long story short, It shoots fine now. I was just wondering if I could resize since its required after being fired. I carry the tool around if I ever need to make new cartridges at the cottage or in the woods. I guess il carry empty resized brass then! Thanks though.

They dont make anything that could resize it? Id need to buy a lyman reloading tool and screw my resizing die in right?

Boolit Master
    Ideal (and later, Lyman) made a drive-in-and-out sizing die as a companion to the nutcracker tools. They’re obsolete, but still all over the place on E-Bay and at gun shows. I typically see them going for $5 to $15, still in the box, at the shows, depending on the caliber and the optimism of the seller. Some patience and maybe a WTB ad or two ought to get you one.

Boolit Grand Master
    You're not real likely to encounter a Lyman/Ideal push-in sizer in 40-82... in fact, I'm a little surprised you would need one, but with lever actions, I guess it's possible. If all else fails, you (or a friend if you don't have a lathe yourself) can take a piece of round stock of sufficient diameter, bore it to groove diameter then use a 40-82 chambering reamer to make your own push in sizer. You can even use this "in the field" by driving the (lubed) case into the die with a wooden mallet or something similar and back out with a punch of appropriatel diameter drill rod. That's the "old fashioned" way!

Froggie

PS What lever action uses that big long thing? I would expect to see it in a Ballard or Winchester single shot.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    You're not real likely to encounter a Lyman/Ideal push-in sizer in 40-82... in fact, I'm a little surprised you would need one, but with lever actions, I guess it's possible. If all else fails, you (or a friend if you don't have a lathe yourself) can take a piece of round stock of sufficient diameter, bore it to groove diameter then use a 40-82 chambering reamer to make your own push in sizer. You can even use this "in the field" by driving the (lubed) case into the die with a wooden mallet or something similar and back out with a punch of appropriatel diameter drill rod. That's the "old fashioned" way!

Froggie

PS What lever action uses that big long thing? I would expect to see it in a Ballard or Winchester single shot.
    Its for an 1886. They make a modern version of the Ideal reloading that requires dies to be screwed in. Im pretty sure lyman makes it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Its for an 1886. They make a modern version of the Ideal reloading that requires dies to be screwed in. Im pretty sure lyman makes it.
    The biggest currently produced Lyman die sets of which I’m aware are 45-70 and 40-65. I have never seen a 40-82 die set of any vintage, and although they were listed 75+ years ago, I don’t think they were common back then. You might check with the 310 Shoppe, but I’m not too hopeful.

Froggie

The biggest currently produced Lyman die sets of which I’m aware are 45-70 and 40-65. I have never seen a 40-82 die set of any vintage, and although they were listed 75+ years ago, I don’t think they were common back then. You might check with the 310 Shoppe, but I’m not too hopeful.

Froggie
    I already have the dies. I need the tool.

I just checked and they take specific dies. I only have the dies in my press. Too bad.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now I’m confused... do you have a set of Ideal small diameter dies for the 40-82 cartridge? If yes, they may or may not work with a standard set of “large” handles. There was also an odd group of larger diameter sets of “small” dies... made for the larger diameter cases and requiring a special, larger set of handles. As I speculate on what can be done, I’m probably guessing wrong about what you are asking for.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Do your fired shells eject easily and fit back into the chamber? If not, where are they hanging up? Do they only stick when reloaded in the tong tool?

A 310 die set (or a #3 with the full set of attachments) will only neck size and expand. This may or may not help your problem, depending on the results of the above inquiries. The drive-in-and-out FLS die will bring the shell back to factory size (or even below, if you get a bad one). Your FLS press die performs the same function, with less labor.

I have .38-40s that I FL resize and expand in press dies and then prime and seat the boolit with a Winchester tong tool. I cast the boolits in a Winchester mould. All the old-timey nostalgia minus any teeth-gritting frustration. Whatever works.

Now I’m confused... do you have a set of Ideal small diameter dies for the 40-82 cartridge? If yes, they may or may not work with a standard set of “large” handles. There was also an odd group of larger diameter sets of “small” dies... made for the larger diameter cases and requiring a special, larger set of handles. As I speculate on what can be done, I’m probably guessing wrong about what you are asking for.

Froggie
    I dont have any special ideal dies. I only have the dies I use in my press.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    Do your fired shells eject easily and fit back into the chamber? If not, where are they hanging up? Do they only stick when reloaded in the tong tool?

A 310 die set (or a #3 with the full set of attachments) will only neck size and expand. This may or may not help your problem, depending on the results of the above inquiries. The drive-in-and-out FLS die will bring the shell back to factory size (or even below, if you get a bad one). Your FLS press die performs the same function, with less labor.

I have .38-40s that I FL resize and expand in press dies and then prime and seat the boolit with a Winchester tong tool. I cast the boolits in a Winchester mould. All the old-timey nostalgia minus any teeth-gritting frustration. Whatever works.
    I pretty much reload the same way. I do most the work on the press and then use the tool to cast the boolits. The chambers are extremely tight on 40-82's. They are known for inconsistencies. I need to file down the outer case diameter on the cases I fired alot. I recently started cutting them to length since I fired them so much. I need to also pass the boolits in the tool resizer to get exactly .406 diameter. .408 and it wont chamber.
    I too, like the old timey stuff!