Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Luger P08 Range Report

Boolit Buddy

Luger P08 Range Report

Thanks to some consideration from you fine folks, I was able to pick up my first P08. A 1915 DWM all matching #’s (minus mag) from Simpson’s LTD. Took it home and tore it all down for a deep cleaning and replaced the extractor and firing pin with replacements. Incase the original parts broke I didn’t want to break the serialized matching parts. All springs were replaced with new Wolff springs. And anyone who wants to replace the mainspring, putting the new one in is PITA! The bore is fairly pitted with some rifling left, but not a lot.

Ammo was my own cast reloads with recycled range lead MP 130grain RN over 4 grains of Win231 with Winchester small pistol primers. Out of 100 rounds, I had 6 failure to feeds. Four of them I just had to tap the top of the toggle for them to fully feed. They other two were nose jams into the chamber requiring dropping the mag and cycling the toggle. It’s not for home defense and it’s 104 years old. I’m ok with it.

At 7 yards off hand, it shoots about 2” high and right. The small circle targets are aimed right at the center. The two square targets and main middle are aimed 2” low and left. This gun is perfect for flinchers! If you can see the tiny green dots, they were my POA for each target.

The sights are diminutive and for a thumbs high and forward 1911 shooter like myself, the pistol wore the skin off my right thumb knuckle joint in only 100 rounds.

I won’t be shooting this that much but it’s a cool piece of history to have sitting in my safe. Completely happy to scratch this off my bucket list.

Next to my 1918 Colt/Rand 1911 from CMP

Boolit Master
    I like very nice

Beautiful pistols I’m jealous!
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

That's a handsome handgun and I love the straw on the safety, trigger and bits. My 1920 commercial has Straw and rust bluing like the pistol in the photo. A 6:00 o'clock hold would put you right on. Nice 1911, you don't see the Remington Rands every day...
    Last edited by gnostic; 04-02-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. Gnostic: I agree with the 6oclock hold. But it’ll still be off to the right. Research online says the front sight is prone to peening, so I’m pretty hesitant to try to correct this.

Quote Originally Posted by EMR View Post
    Thanks guys. Gnostic: I agree with the 6oclock hold. But it’ll still be off to the right. Research online says the front sight is prone to peening, so I’m pretty hesitant to try to correct this.
    Get a device called Wyoming Sight Drifter. I believe Buffalo Arms sells them. his will let you make careful adjustments of dovetailed sights with no peening or finish damage.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by EMR View Post
    Try changing the amount of finger tip you apply to the trigger, that will change the windage. I wouldn't beat on it no matter what...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Get a device called Wyoming Sight Drifter. I believe Buffalo Arms sells them. his will let you make careful adjustments of dovetailed sights with no peening or finish damage.
    This could really come in handy in the future. I’ll have to really consider this. Thanks for the tip!

Boolit Grand Master
    I shall have to give mine a day at the races. Those sights are not the thing for tired, old eyes, but Georg Luger's pistole can shoot surprisingly well.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    Try changing the amount of finger tip you apply to the trigger, that will change the windage. I wouldn't beat on it no matter what...
    High and right means you 'milked it.' That's squeezing the grip rather than putting pressure on the trigger. Try working on your hold. The Luger has a different feel and extreme grip angle. The slow lock time and mushy trigger allows lots of time for bad things to happen...

Beautiful pistol. I have a 1917 double-date (1920). Not anywhere near the condition yours is in. Its a lot of fun to shoot and mine is finicky as well for ammo. You have to make sure not to use to large of a boolit. Mine definitely shoots jacketed better than straight lead and I believe it to be boolit diameter that is the culprit. I have to tap the top toggle on mine too at times to get them to chamber fully.

Anyway...nice piece of history you have there...enjoy.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    High and right means you 'milked it.' That's squeezing the grip rather than putting pressure on the trigger. Try working on your hold. The Luger has a different feel and extreme grip angle. The slow lock time and mushy trigger allows lots of time for bad things to happen...
    I understand what you’re saying. But as a NRA cert pistol instructor,I’m comfortable with the basics. I can guarantee you there’s not much milking going on here.

These are my usual groups off hand at 7yards.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Beautiful pistol. I have a 1917 double-date (1920). Not anywhere near the condition yours is in. Its a lot of fun to shoot and mine is finicky as well for ammo. You have to make sure not to use to large of a boolit. Mine definitely shoots jacketed better than straight lead and I believe it to be boolit diameter that is the culprit. I have to tap the top toggle on mine too at times to get them to chamber fully.

Anyway...nice piece of history you have there...enjoy.

redhawk
    Interesting that you bring up the size of the bullet being an issue. In my head I chalked it up to my main spring. I picked up a new mainspring from Numrich as well as a new one from a full set from Wolff. I ended up going with Wolff which was a good 1/2” shorter than the original and the numrich one.