RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Security Six Low Back vs High Back

Boolit Master

Security Six Low Back vs High Back

I thought I’d post a pic here showing the two types of Ruger Security Sixes side by side. I didn’t know there was a difference until I bought my Low Back.

The Low Back types have serial numbers starting with 150-xxxxx and we’re the first ones made from 1972 - 1974. They’re also referred to as the 150 series. The High Back types started with serial number 151-xxxxx and we’re made to the end of production in 1988.

The difference can be seen on the corner of the frames at the top of the stocks.

I’ve heard the rationale for the change was to keep the revolver from rolling down in your hand when shooting rapid fire in double action. Personally I find that portion of the frame doesn’t contact my hand, so for me it’s a moot point. I suppose for others there could be some advantage. It certainly doesn’t hurt anything to have the frame corner slightly higher.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41D9E4D9-B22B-4048-94CF-5BE0A43EBE12.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	239254
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E09618EE-5D67-4C23-9ABA-5E53317A0D51.jpg  
    Last edited by shooting on a shoestring; 04-05-2019 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Pic posted upside down.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

You are correct from everything I could find out in a short time yesterday.
    I wasn't aware of this until yesterday when I started looking for grips for a newly purchased 150 series.
    I haven't ever fired one before so I can't say how much, if any, difference it will make.

Boolit Grand Master

The collective knowledge is once again expanded. Thank you for the side by side photos.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I've had several of each style. For me there just wasn't enough grip and grip frame to make shooting the smaller ones comfortable. I did search out a set of Herrett Shooting Star after market stocks for the 150 series. The Herretts made a tremendous difference. I no longer own a 150 series gun but I do have a NIB later 6" blue and it has both styles of Ruger stocks, service and target; and I do have a very late model 4" blue.

Boolit Master
    I have seen the low back but have never had a chance to shoot one. a friend had one and never had any problem shooting his.

I doubt I will have a problem shooting it either since I seldom shoot rapid fire.
    My issue with the grips will be getting my middle finger knuckle out of the way of the trigger guard. I tend to get smacked on the knuckle with the standard wooden grips. They put my knuckle right up against the trigger guard.
    Not much fun shooting when your fingers hurt after every shot.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info. Now I know... my 158xxx is a high back.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I learn something(s) every day. I like the SS but have never owned one, being a S&W fan myself. I am familiar with what was involved in making Ruger revolvers of that era with the casting process, so they must have considered the change in frame to be significantly worthwhile to make new molds.