RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprue Plate opening jig prototype

Banned

Sprue Plate opening jig prototype

Sprue Plate opening jig prototype all wood easy to make, can't mar the mold
    I cut a groove in the base to
    adjust the base length for your mold size.
    next modification will be a piece of slotted angle iron attached to the bottom of the wood base so I can easily adjust depth according to mold size

For my NOE Molds

Easy modification for RCBS molds

Banned
    Modification for Lee 2 cavity molds, add a 1/2" piece of wood and cut a notch out where the sprue plate stop is.

seems I never get past the prototype stage, if the prototypes work so why make another one?

Boolit Master
    I'll be strait and up front! When I read the title I thought how lazy can you get and moved on. Later when I saw it again I thought maybe an injury? Think I'll look! When I looked I was impressed I thought Dam that's a great idea! I like it very much, good work!!

Aaron

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Thats kinda cool just not sure of the need.

Banned
    For older individuals and those who have brutalized their bodies/joints through their profession (me), this is an easier way to cast.
    I have a 4 oz leather mallet in one hand and the mold in the other, never having to set either down.

opening sprues with a gloved hand wears out gloves faster, requires you wear a thicker glove and is hard on My Wrist.

If it helps folks keep on casting then it is a good thing. Wonder if someone will invent a leather mold whacker at some point? I use a gloved hand and cheap gloves because as someone said it does wear the glove out. Doesn't really bother my hand but know exactly what they are talking about when it comes to wear and tear mileage on the body after the warranty expires.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    Roger, I have been using small leather mallets as "mold-wackers" for a long time. Makes it easier to hit the hing screw

Boolit Master

Like everything else, some will find it very useful and other will look at it as a rube-Goldberg contraption with little need. But as long as both parties are satisfied and casting to their own wishes and needs--more power to them. james

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Like everything else, some will find it very useful and other will look at it as a rube-Goldberg contraption with little need. But as long as both parties are satisfied and casting to their own wishes and needs--more power to them. james
    Ditto. "To Each their own.". Let each of us choose the path we walk & no one else should care if it doesn't stop them from walking their own path thru life...

I think it is a good idea for those who would need one. I don't yet, so I use the gloves. I also don't use a stick or a mallet. I "crack the 2 cavs on a chunk of 2x4 setting on the top of a #10 with the opening only partially covered by the 2x4 & the sprues drop into the can, then I finish with the glove. For the 6 cavs, it is gloves.

That works for "me", right now anyway.

Thanks for sharing your prototype!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I got some molds from an Estate once that the owner had welded a cheap screwdriver onto each sprue plate to open them. Apparently he was very happy with the solution because it looked as if he had done every mold he owned.
    Both ends WHAT a player

Hey if it works for you then great go for it. I to have been through the years and have arthritis in my hands and i may need something like this in the future. But for now just a piece of hickory ax handle works although there are times were i just can't cast as much as i would like.

Boolit Buddy
    That is nice and clever!
    And if it works for you, awesome!
    When I started casting I cut off a piece of closet rod and use that to whack the spruce plate. I have a ton of it.
    Love the ingenuity though.

Moderator Emeritus

Pretty ingenious, and looks to be a great addition. I like to KISS, and Keeping It Simple, I -- many years ago -- had a mould with a stubborn plate, and grabbed a long ball-end Allen wrench. I "caught" the spot at end of ball in the mould handle, and simply moved the Allen wrench -- using provided leverage to move the spru plate. had thought of grinding the short "L" off with A Dremel and, say, epoxying it in the handle of an old screwdriver, but -- again KISS -- as it works dandily now, why "improve" it? Just what works for me
    geo

I like it Jim...your just a natural born inventor!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

I think some one with a little arthritis in one wrist/hand/fingers might find this just the ticket to helping get a mould open. Holding the mould in one hand and whacking the sprue plate with a whacker takes two good hands...my hands are starting to get weak , especially the left...my whacking hand !
    What you are proposing just might make my weak handed casting easier ....OR ... Give the guy with one good hand a way to cast (bottom pour pot ) and then open moulds with one hand .
    The population is aging and there is a need for things like this... I see it every day in home design and construction . Lots of handicapped accessibility features going into homes now .
    Go past the prototype and make up a few for sale to us weak handers .... If not too costly , I'm interested in one for NOE 3 and 4 cavity moulds and a adapter for Lee 2 cavity moulds would be nice to have. Make them functional...just like in your photo's . I don't need pretty.
    Put my name down on the first group buy , if the cost isn't too high.
    I have a vice on the end of my bench right next to my lead melting pot ...perfect spot !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Thats kinda cool just not sure of the need.
    How old are you ?
    I'm on top of 70 and saw the need almost immediately... my age weakened hand said...whoa that's a good idea !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Well i could call you sir. I am only in my early 60's . I hope i will make it to upper 70's. I do have arthritis in fingers and back so i may need one soon but for now i can still manage. But if it works for you then god bless.

I like it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I think some one with a little arthritis in one wrist/hand/fingers might find this just the ticket to helping get a mould open. Holding the mould in one hand and whacking the sprue plate with a whacker takes two good hands...my hands are starting to get weak , especially the left...my whacking hand !
    What you are proposing just might make my weak handed casting easier ....OR ... Give the guy with one good hand a way to cast (bottom pour pot ) and then open moulds with one hand .
    The population is aging and there is a need for things like this... I see it every day in home design and construction . Lots of handicapped accessibility features going into homes now .
    Go past the prototype and make up a few for sale to us weak handers .... If not too costly , I'm interested in one for NOE 3 and 4 cavity moulds and a adapter for Lee 2 cavity moulds would be nice to have. Make them functional...just like in your photo's . I don't need pretty.
    Put my name down on the first group buy , if the cost isn't too high.
    I have a vice on the end of my bench right next to my lead melting pot ...perfect spot !
    Gary
    Mine is clamped into a vise.

Boolit Mold
    Well time for a progress report.

When I quit yesterday I whipped the mold down good with wd40. So carb cleaner and a brush again. First 30 or so were about like yesterday, so I stopped and smoked the mold. Way better. Actually got about 60 with barely a flaw and some frost on a few.

But I have more ?'s. The Sprew plate screw keeps getting lose. Tight for 2-5 then lose and if I let it go it will take 4 or 5 turns to snug it up. Snug is two hits to open and another two to close. That takes me to much time. How do you keep the screw snug, but not to snug? Really like the jig idea. may see if I can make one myself.
    2nd ?. lead was 850 degrees when I checked it once. Is that to hot to keep a pot?

I think it all comes down to getting a pattern down and not forgetting something. My right hand slows things down. I'd get 3 pretty good then have trouble with inserting the pin, or the sprew plate lead would stick or I'd have to tighten the screw. I did figure out if I left the new bullet in and then tighten the screw before I opened the mold that it worked better.

I'm learning and it's fun and frustrating at times making it all work fast enough. A mold with the hp pins that stay in like a Noe may be in the works later. Really like the jig idea.
    Anyway I did do a bunch better today. Thanks again for all the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast