Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Browning a Frizzen

Boolit Master

Browning a Frizzen

Recently picked up a used custom FL. Rifle is not perfect but suits my needs. It looks as if the frizzen is a replacement as it does match the browning on the rest of the lock and barrel, in fact looks like it was never browned, just left to darken with age. Would like to brown it but am concerned as the products I am familiar with require heating and I don't want to alter the temper on the frizzen. Anyone know of any products that work without heating?

Boolit Master
    I do not think that the heat required to Brown a part , will not effect or Un Case harden the Frizzen.
    You would have to be over 650 degrees to have any effect on tempering or hardening.

Boolit Master
    Tracks Tried and True browning solution /NO HEAT at Track of the Wolf /Try it you"ll like it ,I do Ed

In Remembrance
    I have used a couple of different browning solutions. B-C Tru Brown was used on a heated area with a propane torch so the solution barely sizzled when applied. Not hot enough to anneal a frizzen. I think most solutions work a little better when heated a bit.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Uric acid, especially from stallions. Clean the metal and dip in the uric acid. Suspend the frizzen in a sealed container with a damp paper towel in the bottom. Put in a warm place. In my larger browning box I put a 25 watt light bulb in for warmth. In 24 hours a brown coating should appear on most of the metal. Wearing rubber gloves use a piece of soft plastic to rub the loose coating off. Don't scrub. Dip and repeat every 24 hours. When it is the color you want, soak it in a solution of baking soda, dry and oil.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have browned a number of locks - including frizzens with Plum Brown which requires heat. You aren't going to need to heat it hot enough to take out the hardness of the frizzen.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Uric acid, especially from stallions. Clean the metal and dip in the uric acid. Suspend the frizzen in a sealed container with a damp paper towel in the bottom. Put in a warm place. In my larger browning box I put a 25 watt light bulb in for warmth. In 24 hours a brown coating should appear on most of the metal. Wearing rubber gloves use a piece of soft plastic to rub the loose coating off. Don't scrub. Dip and repeat every 24 hours. When it is the color you want, soak it in a solution of baking soda, dry and oil.
    Piss on it.

I find that to be simultaneously ingenious and amusing.

Boolit Master
    "Uric acid, especially from stallions" Sorry, have to ask. Do you know the guy that we could get this from? Makes me wonder and speculate if a collection sample was taken the morning after a little too much Crown, that washed down a steak, tators and asparagus be Uric enough? Never mind, at fifty eight probably not enough Stallion in me.

Gtek - secret information = show horses have to be tested for drugs. I get mine from a vet who collects the samples.
    I don't ask questions to which I don't want to know the answers.

Boolit Grand Master

Parts that were originally case hardened do not brown well same for french grey. This is why a lot of old rifle locks were left in the white. Rust brown from Track works well on bare steel.

Boolit Master
    Moot point, rifle turned out to be a 40, not a 45 and I sent it back.