Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Bubba gun lube

Boolit Master
    Use the bubba lubes if you want.
    But you appear to be happy wasting your time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    So decimal points with three digits following do not impress you? How about four. This post is 32.3472% more accurate than posts without decimal points?
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Actually they test well enough that makers of multimillion dollar machine tools use Mobil Vactra to protect the machine warranty.
    I have worked in and traveled to dozens of high tech CNC shops in the US, Singapore, China, Germany and UK. Machining centers in those shop have dozens to hundreds of machines. Some of those machines cost several million dollars. Most of the time Mobil Vactra oil is the lube recommended by the machine tool manufacturer to protect the warranty.
    Use anything you want but there are multibillion dollar aircraft plants using equipment most of you can't imagine. They don't use Amsoil or Lucas.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    EDG: But do they test to 3 decimal places? I don't believe they do,,,

which makes our in house testing far superior.

Traffer: Make sure you get the Amsoil 20-50 "Racing Oil" as it is different than the regular Amsoil 20/50 synthetic oil.

I have never changed to oil but once in my Shop Compressor in 20 + years after the first oil change. I check it monthly, and it is still Red in color and looks new. This IR Compressor came with synthetic oil from the factory but rusty water showed immediately. I changed to the 20/50 Racing Oil and it was gone by the next tank drain which was less than one week later. This is the third compressor I have done this to, I have a 20 gallon 2HP Campbell Backup Compressor which has always had this oil in it and the tank is still clean after 30 years.

All my machines are over 30 years old and some more than 60 years old. All show no wear on the guide ways. I am not an Amsoil Distributor, and I wouldn't spend time talking on this subject if the stuff didn't work exceptionally well.

It really works that well!

Randy
    EDG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Actually they test well enough that makers of multimillion dollar machine tools use Mobil Vactra to protect the machine warranty.
    I have worked in and traveled to dozens of high tech CNC shops in the US, Singapore, China, Germany and UK. Machining centers in those shop have dozens to hundreds of machines. Some of those machines cost several million dollars. Most of the time Mobil Vactra oil is the lube recommended by the machine tool manufacturer to protect the warranty.
    Use anything you want but there are multibillion dollar aircraft plants using equipment most of you can't imagine. They don't use Amsoil or Lucas.
    Dear EDG, The OP was about discovering that someone else's "gun lube" was actually just bike chain oil. I stated that I bought some for a buck a bottle. When I tried it I was somewhat surprised to see that it actually made my guns rack a bit more easily. BUT THE WHOLE POST HAS BEEN MOSTLY TONGUE AND CHEEK. That is why I deliberately made up such ludicrous numbers. ALL IN FUN. Not intended to cause angst.

EDG: just because my Hardinge Chucker has a data plate that says the Recommended lube is Mobil Vactra Oil doesn't mean that is the only thing that works. Mobil Vactra oil is sticky stuff, so is the Amsoil. It is also not that readily available. My local Mobil Dealer wanted $240 for a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff and another $150 to ship it in from LA,(which was ridiculous!!!) and the last time I checked with him was 25 years ago! There are no smaller quantities. A Quart of Amsoil lasts me for many many years.

Mind you I don't use this stuff in my cars or Jeep. Just the machine tools. I do have an Amsoil Oil Filtration System on my Cummins powered Jeep engine, and their filters are as good as it gets. But I run whatever the dealerships put in in my two cars. I think they use Castrol Synthetic.

I used to run Mobilgard 1 SHC which is Synthetic Boat Motor Oil in my Cummins Powered Truck with a 20K change interval but that same distributor did the same thing to it with the $250 for 5 gallons and $150 shipping from LA. It is 60 miles to the Mobil distributor in LA from Oxnard!

I now use Mobil 1 15/50 I buy from Walmart which is $22.88 for 5 quarts. My truck engine takes two of them.

I have been using the Mobil Racing Oil in my machines for 30+ years and they all look pretty much like new. My Chucker was made in 1962! My old mill was made in 1956 and I rebuilt it completely. My new mill was bought at Westec in 1992 and has always had it. The chrome ways aren't even polished yet.

When I took my Chucker Carriage apart to replace some parts I had to literally drill the oil passages out to get the Black Solidified Vactra Oil out of them. It actually looked like the stuff was burnt. This machine came from Statham Industries in Oxnard and was well maintained and had always had Vactra oil in it. Now when you pull on the oil pump, oil actually flows to the carriage and ways.

I never did like that stuff. The only reason why it is recommended by Machine Tool Mfg's is because it is the only oil that says it is specifically for way lubrication. I think it is essentially non detergent 30 wt Motor oil.

YMMV

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

For those that are interested Amsoil produces specifically produces for, firearm care, air tool & compressor oils, Hydraulic, gear lube and greases. I have very limited experience with their products so this is not Amsoil specific. Based on many years machine rebuilding and having to deal with the sludge Randy is referring from natural oils I will only use synthetic oil for any application that has a sump or a tank.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    For AR Carriers and all bolt lugs I am using Phil Wood Tenacious Oil http://www.philwood.com/products/gohc/oilngrease.php . It's a chain oil.

http://www.6mmar.com/Info_Page.html
    "On lubrication, about 95% of all "gun" lubricants out there are not appropriate for an AR. For the bolt lugs in particular you need a very high viscosity sticky lubricant because the lugs are a "severe duty" application in that they open fast under pressure and get very hard use otherwise. Most greases are no good because they don't stay around. The best lubricant I have found is Phil Wood Tenacious Oil (it's like a sticky 90 wt. gear oil) and you can buy it for $8 or so at your local bicycle shop or on the internet in its own applicator bottle. I have built up a lot of AR's over the years and seen others come back for re-barreling or other work. Some have an enormous amount of bolt wear (and a corresponding dramatic increase in head space) because inadequate lubricant was used. The owners thought they were using a good product, but it was not. A lot of the favorites are no good either (and I am not going to name names)."
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit of a oil nut. I've got dozens of bottles of different oils scattered around the shop and in my lube tray. I decided to get some of this oil you linked to.

It's amazing stuff. Sticky and stringy. Slick as all get out. I like it.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123