WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Bubba gun lube

Banned

Another Bubba gun lube

Last week while on vacation from Castboolits (ahem) I was reading some posts somewhere that were about a "new super gun lube" that a guy was marketing as "hobo oil". (Pardon me if you are that guy). The posts reminded me of some lubricant I recently purchased off the clearance rack at Walmart. The stuff I got was bicycle chain lube. The big thing...It DRIES. does not pick up grit etc., For a buck a bottle I bought 4.
    I had it sitting and didn't really test it on anything until I read the hobo oil thread. Made me think "I wonder if this guy is repackaging some type of bike chain oil?" They described his stuff as Purple. My stuff is not purple but I did check the ol google monster and found there is a "Purple chain oil" on the market.
    Since the folks were very impressed with this hobo oil ...especially on rifle bolts, I decided to get my guns out and give my buck a bottle stuff a try. SHAZAWWWWWOM. That stuff really works. I tried on several guns including my Norinco 213 Chinese version of a Tokarev in 9MM. It has a pretty stiff slide. After the magic bike chain oil lube...it appears to be exactly 47.332% easier to rack. Then it was on to my old single action Forehand Arms 38 S&W Revolver. It has a 146 lb trigger pull in single action and stiffer as a double action. Not as much Shazawwwwom but some...Approximately 34.41% lighter trigger pull.
    All joking aside...it does seem to work really well. The name of the stuff I got was "white lightening" chain oil. I think it has ptfe powder in it and a fast evaporating carrier. But hey? if it works... (I double checked this post for bad language and found none)

Boolit Master

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I will give it a try but if it doesn't at least make it 47.333% easier not sure it will be worth it.

I don’t usually believe marketing claims but you have 3 numbers after the decimal!!!!

Banned

Marketing claims must be true ........right?
    They aren't allowed to lie ..........right???????

All jokes aside, when it comes to firearms; everyone has their own favorite magic oil or grease.

I learned a long time ago that's it's not as complicated and critical as some folks insist. I've seen guns that lasted a lifetime that had the actions oiled only with 3 in 1 oil and the bores cleaned only with kerosene.

When I was young and lacked funds, ATF was my universal gun lubricant and it worked just fine.

I no longer use ATF as a firearms lubricant but I know that if I needed to, I could return to that oil without problems.

The wiz-bang, super-duper, modern extraordinary magical gun care products are heavy on marketing.

Hoppes #9, Kroil, RIG, Clenzoil and maybe some white lithium grease will take care of everything and you could get by with just the Clenzoil in a pinch.

Attachment 239064

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T_McD View Post
    I don’t usually believe marketing claims but you have 3 numbers after the decimal!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Yes they make several different flavors. Mine says Off road or something like that. I think they are all basically the same.

Boolit Master
    Sure, glad it is Apr. 2nd when this was posted. Heard some doozies yesterday.

I might try this, if I remember the next time I am in a Wallyworld. I do not go there often. Just out of curiosity.

I like using Ed's Red for cleaning & lube. It works for me on the ones I shoot regular, since then I clean them regular. Stored ones get a bit more lube for long term protection.

I would like to try this other stuff to see if it actually makes trigger pull change for me. I have a few firearms that I may try it on just for ****s & giggles.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Im in the Ed's red camp too. And i like 5-w30 synthetic for oil purposes. I did find that PB Blaster is great for lead fouled barrels.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

White Lightning [bike chain lubes] are easily found in, wait for it, bike shops, but there are different kinds of WL lubes. Also, you can also get teflon + carrier lube by 3 in 1 and sometimes Dupont in Lowes, Home Depot, etc. It's cheaper than White Lightning, but works as well. And yes, I do use the latter two on my bike chains.

P.S. My wife & I happened by Dick' Sports today and saw two version of White Lightning dry lubes in the bike dept.: $8.99 for either v. $4.99 for the 3 in 1 and Dupont versions.
    Last edited by Maven; 04-02-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    LOL. Don't have too many "bike shops" out here in my rural country town. We do have a "bike trail" though. Have to hit a bigger town or a city for something like a specialty bike shop, I reckon.

I am more likely to check out one of the local hardware stores & spend locally, than drive 25 miles one way to a wally world.

If I still rode motorcycle, I might try it there, since I never had one of the more modern belt drives, but once again, not gonna make a special trip for it.

Again, just out of curiosity I might try it though. I can always give it to the oldest son for them & the grandboys, if I find "it doesn't cut the mustard", for me.

Thanks for the where to find it tips, though.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master
    PB blasters great for stuck stuff , handle bar switches on motor cycles that have quit switching can often be revived , some really good bike mechanics got me hooked on it.
    I have started useing on guns and gear you can flood something with it and blow it out with an air hose and it barely leaves a trace.

Neat, thanks for sharing. I'll try bout anything if I can get it cheap. I normally use 3in1 or hoppes oil though cause that's what's handy.

JB, you might have an interest in this story.
    I have been trying different things for the sear engagement on my savage 110. Regular gun oil, cleaned with lighter fluid and no oil, grease. Nothing gave me consistent results. So what happens is I clean and lube it and I got a pretty decent and crisp trigger. Then after it sets a while unloaded, instead of checking it when I pick it up, I handle as loaded and take it out to the range without checking it so I can dry fire without disturbing the sear. Simulating the first shot in hunting. I have a creep adjustment but I don't want to make the engagement less if I can avoid it. So that first shot is creepy and inconsistent. Then all the rest are smooth.

Some research told me that moly grease is the thing to use but being stingy I wanted to try 1 more thing I had before buying anything. Liquid silicone for instruments. Found it in the neighbors trash sometime back. It was still in the pack, needle applicator and everything. CaiLube x-10S is the name, they changed the name but the stuff is still the same the website says. https://caig.com/product/deoxit-x10s-x10s-25c/ So much to my surprise it works great. It stays in place, don't evaporate, and after setting for several days undesturbed the trigger pull is as perfect and consistent as I want.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 04-02-2019 at 08:40 PM.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Neat, thanks for sharing. I'll try bout anything if I can get it cheap. I normally use 3in1 or hoppes oil though cause that's what's handy.

I have been trying different things for the sear engagement on my savage 110. Regular gun oil, cleaned with lighter fluid and no oil, grease. Nothing gave me consistent results. So what happens is I clean and lube it and I got a pretty decent and crisp trigger. Then after it sets a while unloaded, instead of checking it when I pick it up, I handle as loaded and take it out to the range without checking it so I can dry fire without disturbing the sear. Simulating the first shot in hunting. I have a creep adjustment but I don't want to make the engagement less if I can avoid it. So that first shot is creepy and inconsistent. Then all the rest are smooth.

Some research told me that moly grease is the thing to use but being stingy I wanted to try 1 more hung I had before buying anything. Liquid silicone for instrument. Found it in the neighbors trash sometime back. It was still in the pack, needle applicator and everything. CaiLube x-10S is the name, they changed the name but the stuff is still the same the website says. https://caig.com/product/deoxit-x10s-x10s-25c/ So much to my surprise it works great. It stays in place, don't evaporate, and after setting for several days undesturbed the trigger pull is as perfect and consistent as I want.
    Anything else of value did you find while `rooting` in his trash?Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Anything else of value did you find while `rooting` in his trash?Robert
    That particular visit I got 2 new cans of great stuff expanding foam and a couple cans of spray paint. Probably a few other odds and ends but I can't recall now.

Found a 3 piece cleaning rod from the 40s or 50s a while back in some trash. It was in with a bunch of women's clothes and shoes.

Banned
    I honestly was not trying to promote the stuff. It does work but as far as I am concerned not a real big deal. I purposely used outrageous numbers to give a air of lightheartedness to the post. Such as my revolver has 142 lb trigger pull. AND remember I only paid a buck a bottle for it on the clearance rack. With all that said it truly seems to make a noticeable difference in racking the slide and trigger pull.

Boolit Master
    My dad is a retired Maintence man, and he turned me on to something locksmiths use, it's called Houdini lock spray. It's pretty good stuff, I'd say better than G96! It's not a greasy film, and it stays were you put it! But if a man was on budget, a quart of 5w20 mobile 1 will last a lifetime, and Edds Red is fairly cheap to make a gallon of, and it will last a good while as well!

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    i like 5-w30 synthetic for oil purposes.
    I thought I was the only one that used motor oil on firearms.
    I've been using a quart of 5-20 for a couple of years.

People tell me I need the latest and greatest.
    I ask them if that oil lasts several thousand miles in a car engine,
    what requirements will a firearm ask of it that it can't handle between cleanings?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Sounds like a great idea , but I think I'll hold off buying some until I use the last four cans of military brown rifle grease I have .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post

Some research told me that moly grease is the thing to use but being stingy I wanted to try 1 more hung I had before buying anything. Liquid silicone for instrument. Found it in the neighbors trash sometime back. It was still in the pack, needle applicator and everything. CaiLube x-10S is the name, they changed the name but the stuff is still the same the website says. https://caig.com/product/deoxit-x10s-x10s-25c/ So much to my surprise it works great. It stays in place, don't evaporate, and after setting for several days undesturbed the trigger pull is as perfect and consistent as I want.
    Thanks Bazoo!
    '

I do not have that particular product, but I do have some silicone products & will do a little checking & see what happens. Always looking for new ways to accomplish goals economically & efficiently. Particularly when it is something I already have, but sometimes one has to 'explore" other possibilities, right?

If I can't get some of those others to work, perhaps I will order up & try some of that lube you mention. I am always finding uses for different things to solve issues when they happen. just another "tool in the toolbox", I reckon.

Thanks again!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast