RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Winchester X-150 - 300gr Speer Gold Dots

Banned

Winchester X-150 - 300gr Speer Gold Dots

What the hell! I felt like making some smoke with the ol Winchester X-150 today.

Trying out a new hotter load with the 300gr Speer Gold Dot sabots. I use Traditions EZ Load sabots with the .451" bullets. CCI Magnum Primers were also used as they are all I have left and do a fantastic job without leaving much crud behind in the bore. 100gr Alliant Black MZ Powder was used and the sabot was firmly seated on top.

My first shot on a fresh bore was high as usual. This really sucks for hunting, but maybe I can figure out a way to tame it down.

All shooting was done from 50 yards.

Next 3 shots were right in the bullseye and grouping great! OR SO I THOUGHT!

Next, I decided to do what I hate the most... Swab between shots... I just aimed at the corner edge of the orange and took my first shot, then used that as my aiming point from then on. First 3 shots, Swabbed

5 Swabbed Shots total,

Banned
    Got out to 100 yards today. It was a little breezy at times, but still an overall great day to go shooting.

All shooting was done off the Birchwood Casey Nest Rest shooting rest.

Same load, 100gr Alliant Black MZ, Traditions EZ Load sabots, .300gr Speer Gold Dots, CCI 209M primers.

I did swab between each shot with a damp patch. There were 2 occasions however, and these 2 shots will show up easily on the target, where I actually ran 2 wet patches down the bore to really clean it out well. It did not like this at all and threw both shots out of the group. After that, I wet a patch and squeezed the living heck out of it until it was just damp.

Black MZ is very sensitive to bore condition, especially on a completely cleaned bore.

Today I swabbed the bore with a new cleaner/patch lube I am working on, it removed the slight crud ring at the bottom of the bore with ease and I completely cleaned the rifle at the end of the day with the stuff!

Looking through my Nikon Buckmasters II 4-12x40 scope from 100 yards you can see my first 2 shots.

The large hole contains 7 shots, the other 2 shots, one high, one low, were the shots where I fully cleaned the bore of fouling and these are the results.

Overall, One hell of a day! Maybe tomorrow I can get out and try the 300gr Hornady XTP Mags. Although I do have some Thors sitting in the closet.....Hmmmmm.

Great post and great shooting! Hmm i wonder why ur grouping was better after your first shot. Does the added fouling aid in your accuracy? Do you get the same results with black powder? Perhaps making a better gas seal? I have tried alliant black mz and i like it although ive only used it in my .36 navies...but i like it so far. Anyways...great post!