Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burns...

Boolit Buddy
    When I lived in Az my Mexican friends turned me on to the medicinal qualities of Aloe Vera. I found it to be one of the best healing agents available and it's free. For many yrs I had Aloe plants in my yard and used it often on skin wounds, abrasions and burns. It worked better than most prescription salves. I only used fresh cuttings so can't speak to the commercial salves that contain Aloe. I had a little Jack Russel Terrier that was plagued with severe allergies during spring pollen season. Aloe Vera helped him when everything the vet prescribed did nothing to help. I was even talked into drinking an Aloe "shake" for some internal problem that I don't recall if it worked or not. That was pretty vile tasting so don't want to do that again. Was my leg being pulled about drinking it or has anybody else tried it? I now live where the winters are below freezing will Aloe plants survive cold winters, I doubt it? I really miss having it available.

Boolit Master

I have been a welder for nearly twenty years... You haven't been (really) burnt casting, unless the molten lead falls on skin.

Try welding upside down 20-30' off the ground where you cannot move to avoid a burn. You have to let it hit and roll down/off/away. I have permanent burns on my throat, shoulders, inside elbows and ankles. (Most spots where there is a place to catch molten steel.) All from drops that burned thru clothing and sat on me burning. If you move you screw up the beade...

Vaseline is what I keep in the truck. Glop a lil on and wrap it and back to work.

Poppa always said if your gonna be stupid, ya best be tough.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Aloe Vera works well for first degree burns.
    Aloe Vera works wonders! Gloves and learn from our mistakes!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mohavedog View Post
    When I lived in Az my Mexican friends turned me on to the medicinal qualities of Aloe Vera. I found it to be one of the best healing agents available and it's free. For many yrs I had Aloe plants in my yard and used it often on skin wounds, abrasions and burns. It worked better than most prescription salves. I only used fresh cuttings so can't speak to the commercial salves that contain Aloe. I had a little Jack Russel Terrier that was plagued with severe allergies during spring pollen season. Aloe Vera helped him when everything the vet prescribed did nothing to help. I was even talked into drinking an Aloe "shake" for some internal problem that I don't recall if it worked or not. That was pretty vile tasting so don't want to do that again. Was my leg being pulled about drinking it or has anybody else tried it? I now live where the winters are below freezing will Aloe plants survive cold winters, I doubt it? I really miss having it available.
    Listen to what Mohavedog is saying
    The living aloe vera is a miracle wonder drug and you can grow it for free !
    I have used it on some nasty second degree burns...they didn't blister , healed in 48 hours with no scar.....that's truly amazing ! Used it more than once.
    Foot itch , toe fungus, scrapes , abrasions and poison ivy itch. The stuff works.
    Grows in South Louisiana like a weed. Anyone who hasn't tried it is missing the boat !
    I have swished some of the slimey juice around in my mouth...gum infection...it's sorta gross. But it helped clear up the infection .
    I don't think I could/would swallow the slimey stuff...I gonna say keep it on the outside
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    C O M M O N S E N S E

You're working with molten lead . . . not hot cookies on a cookie sheet.

Gloves that cover the wrists . . . long sleeves . . . long pants and safety glasses . . .

if a kid touches a hot stove just once . . . he or she will learn their lesson . . . .

Accidents happen . . . that's why you take protective measures to prevent injury. Do you pour in shorts and shoes with no socks too? I once made a rescue run on a guy who was pouring aluminum and thought he didn't need gloves or leggings to protect his lower legs with the usual protective leather leggings . . . he had the tinsel fairy visit and as a result, ended up with a big splash of molten aluminum on his ankle and it ran inside the toe - same thing can happen with lead . . . BTW . . . they had to amputate his foot.

Boolit Master

I wear socks...most of the time.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Tig welding gauntlet gloves. They will cover at least a third of the way up your arm, where most casting burns will occur. They are thin enough you dont lose much dexterity but thick enough to give you time to recognize HOT without burning.
    👍🏼

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Walmart carries gallons of aloe vera juice for around $15/gallon. Good thing to have in the shop.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Our Walmart only charges around $8/gallon.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    C O M M O N S E N S E

You're working with molten lead . . . not hot cookies on a cookie sheet.

Gloves that cover the wrists . . . long sleeves . . . long pants and safety glasses . . .

if a kid touches a hot stove just once . . . he or she will learn their lesson . . . .

Accidents happen . . . that's why you take protective measures to prevent injury. Do you pour in shorts and shoes with no socks too? I once made a rescue run on a guy who was pouring aluminum and thought he didn't need gloves or leggings to protect his lower legs with the usual protective leather leggings . . . he had the tinsel fairy visit and as a result, ended up with a big splash of molten aluminum on his ankle and it ran inside the toe - same thing can happen with lead . . . BTW . . . they had to amputate his foot.
    What fun is common sense ?

I take it your not going to compete in this year's " Naked Casting Competition" ....
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    After one explosion, two fires, ( refinery work in the ‘80’s and 90’s was some dangerous work, mix in stupid people and ya got a heck of a way to make a living) I have had enough of fire, I’ll tell ya!!! Put your safety stuff on, it’s pretty simple. And, for all of us older guys, it doesn’t heal up as fast as young guys do!!! Aloe Vera is your friend in burn cases. .................................. gwpercie, .............. naked casting competition? There are some things that never need to be seen. Just sayin’. CW, I have been there, done that!!! Got those nice little souvenirs. Take care and don’t burn yourselves, it’s not any fun.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
    Tig welding gauntlet gloves. They will cover at least a third of the way up your arm, where most casting burns will occur. They are thin enough you dont lose much dexterity but thick enough to give you time to recognize HOT without burning.
    I always liked the pigskin tig welding gloves as the heat did't make the pigskin hard and stiff as the heat did for the other leather gloves.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Walmart carries gallons of aloe vera juice for around $15/gallon. Good thing to have in the shop.
    Waksupi - Any info on how effective that juice is? My experience was that the fresher the aloe the better it worked. Juice might be worth a try since I don't have any plants now.

Moderator Emeritus

When welding in 100 F temps I still wore leathers and gloves. You go through a lot of fluid but I would never consider casting without long sleeves and gloves. Cast at night or whenever it's cooler but safety should take a priority. You wouldn't stay downrange when your partner shot targets would you?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I cuss and throw stuff, jump up and down, shake my hands like it gonna help. Sure don't take long to look at a hot ingot.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohavedog View Post
    Waksupi - Any info on how effective that juice is? My experience was that the fresher the aloe the better it worked. Juice might be worth a try since I don't have any plants now.
    I've always thought it worked pretty well. It takes the heat out quickly, and promotes healing. If you worry about it not working as well as it ages, just burn yourself more often, to keep a fresh batch on hand!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Ice, real butter, aloe, raw egg. The silver stuff works too - doc gave it to me for an electrical burn on both pointer fingers. Also gave me an EKG.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I asked my VA doc for a prescription for the silver cream. It's on the way.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    I wear gloves but otherwise often find myself casting in a wifebeater and shorts with no shoes. I see the occasional burn as something between the cost of doing business and learning a lesson. I've learned a few lessons, like when i forgot that I took my glove off and grabbed my steel handle ladle that had been sitting in the pot for five minutes with my bare hand (my fingerprints came back a few months later). When I do get burnt vaseline is the go to, and of course keeping the burn clean.

Boolit Buddy
    The best thing by a huge margin I have ever used is Emu oil, absolutely magical healing properties. Bit of a tricky thing for most to get their hands on though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast