Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Burns...

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds funny, but cold mustard will draw the heat from a burn.

Boolit Master

Keep 'em clean, keep 'em soft. You REALLY don't want one to get infected!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    The best thing by a huge margin I have ever used is Emu oil, absolutely magical healing properties. Bit of a tricky thing for most to get their hands on though.
    Livestock supply stores usually have it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    The above posts gives you all the R/X needed for your current burns so I'll give you some R/X for preventing burns in the future...works like a champ.

Burns heal and the pain goes away, however...bad habits in casting does not unless, you change your ways of doing things.
    Slow down for the moment...think about what caused the burn. It wasn't the hot mould or the splash of the lead from the pot, it was negligence...failure to abide by some personal set of rules that would prevent these burns in the first place.

Set the mould down if you want to cross arms to pick something up. If you constantly are reaching over for some reason...change the layout of your casting area and have left handed tools on the left and right handed tools on the right.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to grab multiple sprue cuts and place them into the pot...takes a minute longer but it doesn't splash hot lead...after a dozen sprues are in the pot you'll have solid lead on top for the moment, then you can dump or drop all you want in there.

The fluxing spoon spit at you? Moisture, ease the spoon into the melt slowly, then you can stir without sputter.

You like to cast with minimum protective gear?...me too, shorts & short sleeves or a tank top...the secret here is to use extreme caution. Extreme caution becomes 'good habits'...habits you don't have to think about, you just automatically do that.

One of the worst habits I see in this community these days is people that are always in a hurry to get their loading & casting tasks done quickly. Where does it ever say in our manuals that we need to hurry up and get done?

A quote from 'Crossfire Trail', 2001...

Joe Gill: (sees J.T. working on a horse's hoof) "Better slow down there, young fella."

J.T. Langston: "What difference does it make?"

Joe Gill: "Well, see, if you take your time... you get a more harmonious outcome."
    You can't get much better advice than this. The only thing I have to say about safety, is always wear gloves and eye protection. I am never to hot to wear blue genes and a long sleeve shirt when casting, and I live in Arizona.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    You can't get much better advice than this. The only thing I have to say about safety, is always wear gloves and eye protection. I am never to hot to wear blue genes and a long sleeve shirt when casting, and I live in Arizona.
    Different metabolism. If I was wearing blue jeans and a long sleeve shirt in the summer here I'd get heat stroke and dehydrate. On the other hand when it's 40° out I'm very comfortable in shorts and a tee shirt.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    I was a pipefitter in a tire plant for 38 years. Not construction but installation and maintenance of process piping so i was down in the trenches working around some very hot valves and piping. We always kept Foille first aid spray in our toolboxes. If you touched bare skin to one of those lines (200# steam = 388°) you made a beeline to the toolbox and sprayed that on the burn. We found that if applied immediately after being burned that it would usually prevent blistering. if you waited until later to apply it it was less helpful. We discovered this stuff because the company initially stocked it in the first aid kits. Later they removed most of the first aid kits to allow tracking of first aid injuries (OSHA).

https://www.medshopexpress.com/foill...-spray-3-25-oz

Edit: I just noticed that this shows out of stock and I do not see the spray available any where else. There is a creme version available but I have not personally used that.

Banned
    A momentary lapse two days ago and I got a glob of molten lead on my left hand. Slathered it with pure processed aloe gel and covered it loosely with a bandaid.
    now you can barely see it (in the center of the picture).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234