Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burns...

Boolit Master

Burns...

How do ya all deal with burns?

I've got a nice one right now on the inside of my left wrist. Reached across the mold to pick something up and bam.

A couple of weeks ago I had three small healing burns on my left arm. Two from dropping sprues back into the pot and one from my fluxing spoon spitting at me.

I wish I could wear long sleeves but I run REALLY hot. If it's 50° in the garage I'm in shorts and a tee shirt and likely a fan turned on.

I do wear a full body apron that covers me from neck to ankles, that's one of the things that warms me up.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Wear gloves.
    It works for me.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

put it under cool running water if possible. Let it there for a while. probably will throb when taken out

pat dry with sterile pad.

I use 3-1 ointment from wally world--something like that is a must. then band aid or loose clean dressing.

burns take time to heal

BUT . . . if you can see your bone or it is a through and through you probably need to go to ER
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Super Moderator

Aloe Vera works well for first degree burns.

Neosporin with pain relief.

Boolit Master
    I wear a light weight leather palmed workmans glove on my right hand to operate the spure plate..
    Also wear a full clear face shield to protect my eyes..
    And I make sure my pant cuff covers the top of my boots/shoes..
    That's it..
    Yes every once in awhile I may touch something hot with bare skin, but that's my fault and except that as a lesson learnt, till next time..
    Long story short "get over it"..

Boolit Buddy
    Safety glasses, jeans. Everything else is negotiable. I just ignore minor burns. "Pain is just weakness leaving the body."

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Soak in really cold water for at least 30 minutes to draw out the fire. Then cover in some kind of salve like Aloe Vera to keep air off it . Works for me, james

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    put it under cool running water if possible. Let it there for a while. probably will throb when taken out

pat dry with sterile pad.

I use 3-1 ointment from wally world--something like that is a must. then band aid or loose clean dressing.

burns take time to heal

BUT . . . if you can see your bone or it is a through and through you probably need to go to ER
    !!!This!!! The first first aid is to cool it off. Cold running water, an ice cube, a towel soaked in cold water. The next thing is to avoid the burn by being aware of the things that cause burns.

Boolit Master
    I have two different pairs of welders gloves. I'll put on a pair when I go to dump my sprues and obviously bad boolits back into the pot. Little tiny splashes seldom bother me. I never cut my sprues and dump them directly into the pot. That makes things too exciting for my old self...... I cut the sprues into an old meatloaf pan.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Aloe Vera works well for first degree burns.
    Yep! Get a plant from a nursery and plant it outside the casting room. If you get a burn break off a leaf, split it open and smear the goo on the burn.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I'd start off with *cool* water, not *cold* water. You don't wanna shock the damaged area with even more extremes. I follow up with a generic neosporin and appropriately sized bandage.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

USMC 77, USRA 79

I keep silvadine ointment on hand in my med kit. But it is available by prescription only. But nothing works like it.. takes the heat of the wound away, and makes it all better. It is also an antibiotic. Next time you go to the doc for any reason, ask for a prescription for it to put in your home med kit.. it is a bit spendy, but simply the best.

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

If the burn is superficial, such as only a reddened area or blister, you should remove the remains of dead skin and clean with soap and water.
    Then apply a cream (plenty) that has silver sulfadiazine, vitamin A and lidocaine. Here in Argentina there are a couple of creams that come prepared like this. Lidocaine will act as an analgesic, sulfadiazine as an antibiotic and vitamin A as a regenerator.
    Then wrap the wound with self-adhesive nylon, the one used in the kitchen, transparent that sticks with itself. Whether it is an arm or a leg is very easy. Make sure the cream is in contact with the burn. Take an analgesic and wait for it to heal. Each time that healing is disarmed, wash the burn and cure again. It's the fastest way I saw in my patients and in me.

Boolit Bub
    Have had great luck with a product made by a company called California Tan. It's called Insurance burn relief. Unfortunately they quit making it. Every so often I find it on eBay. But I've used it on some bad burns and this stuff just takes the pain away.

Boolit Master

Silver Nitrate 0.5% solution is the right stuff. I was burned over 25% of my body. the silver nitrate was antibiotic, light absorbing (to preclude induced pieldbaldism), and an analgesic.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Silver Nitrate 0.5% solution is the right stuff. I was burned over 25% of my body. the silver nitrate was antibiotic, light absorbing (to preclude induced pieldbaldism), and an analgesic.
    They also used silver nitrate to stop bleeding in olden days. But yes it does wonders on burns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

I like the "Blue stuff" Aloe Vera they sell for sunburn relief with 2% Lidocaine in it.
    Takes the sting out right now. Also handy for older uses with Hemroids. First couple of times you use it you will get a little "blue glow" or blue fire. Tough it out.

Aloe toughens the skin, shrinks it. Exactly what you need to get those roids to shut up.

The above posts gives you all the R/X needed for your current burns so I'll give you some R/X for preventing burns in the future...works like a champ.

Burns heal and the pain goes away, however...bad habits in casting does not unless, you change your ways of doing things.
    Slow down for the moment...think about what caused the burn. It wasn't the hot mould or the splash of the lead from the pot, it was negligence...failure to abide by some personal set of rules that would prevent these burns in the first place.

Set the mould down if you want to cross arms to pick something up. If you constantly are reaching over for some reason...change the layout of your casting area and have left handed tools on the left and right handed tools on the right.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to grab multiple sprue cuts and place them into the pot...takes a minute longer but it doesn't splash hot lead...after a dozen sprues are in the pot you'll have solid lead on top for the moment, then you can dump or drop all you want in there.

The fluxing spoon spit at you? Moisture, ease the spoon into the melt slowly, then you can stir without sputter.

You like to cast with minimum protective gear?...me too, shorts & short sleeves or a tank top...the secret here is to use extreme caution. Extreme caution becomes 'good habits'...habits you don't have to think about, you just automatically do that.

One of the worst habits I see in this community these days is people that are always in a hurry to get their loading & casting tasks done quickly. Where does it ever say in our manuals that we need to hurry up and get done?

A quote from 'Crossfire Trail', 2001...

Joe Gill: (sees J.T. working on a horse's hoof) "Better slow down there, young fella."

J.T. Langston: "What difference does it make?"

Joe Gill: "Well, see, if you take your time... you get a more harmonious outcome."
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Aloevera - straight from the living plant itself. I learned it from an old man I worked for nearly 50 years ago. He kept a couple of plants at the shop and taught me to use it on burns, cuts and abrasions. I'm a believer.

jd

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast