RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Need to know rough value Win M70

Boolit Grand Master

Need to know rough value Win M70

A Winchester Model 70 in 25-06 with a serial #G12888xx in NRA Very Good condition - which generation and what general value am I looking at?

No, I'm not going to buy it, my pastor has it and is thinking of selling it. He is taking it to our Men's retreat in two weeks (range there) to let anyone interested shoot it. He has no idea of value, and I would like a fair exchange.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Serial catalog lists it in the 1978ish range. Push feeds aren't highly collectible, but if you like how it looks and it shoots straight, one in pretty good condition could fetch ~500.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master

In my opinion... for what it’s worth, I’d much rather have one of these older steel and wood rifles than any of the less expensive modern day plastic bolt guns. That in itself is a selling point!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Some people get caught up in the bidding war.

http://www.horstauction.com/guns.html

R 104. Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight. Serial # G1743967. .25-06 Rem. caliber bolt action rifle. 22” barrel. The blue finish on the metal is in excellent condition with no wear. The satin finished, checkered walnut stock is in excellent condition also showing no wear. Red Winchester butt pad. The gun is new in the box and unfired. Includes the original box, instructions, and papers. Sold For 900.00

Used $500 is good. Current model new is $754. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...90608/redirect

Boolit Master
    Yes, there is a group of individuals who still like flat bottomed receivers with metal parts and really safe open simple triggers. Almost seventy years and the controlled feed lore rolls on. Let's see, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M-16, who would trust a push feed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Yes, there is a group of individuals who still like flat bottomed receivers with metal parts and really safe open simple triggers. Almost seventy years and the controlled feed lore rolls on. Let's see, M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M-16, who would trust a push feed?
    I'm not commenting on the reliability, merely the relative collectible value. Shrug.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Moderator Emeritus

While I don't know too much about M70 value for specific and/or rare calibers, I had a Minty M70 in 243win (that looked like the XTR Featherweight in the photo in post #4, in fact the wood almost looks identical). I was told the gun was bought new in the late 1970s or early 1980s. It looked unfired when I acquired it(around 2010). I did shoot it some, it sold at my 2015 auction for about $600.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

350-500 all dependent on condition.

Boolit Master

For what ever reason CRF ( 1936 to 1964 and 1993 up ) sells for more than Push Feed (1964 to 1993 ). It just is. $500 tops. You can buy a new CRF for $840.

They shoot just the same. But if a rabid squirrel attacks you, do you really want to trust your life to a Push Feed?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Those featherweights are nice rifles and well worth $500 if in nice condition. So are the other walnut stocked variants from then.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Around here, it's hard to get more than $500.00 for any push feed 70 unless it's NIB or custom shop. The .25-06 chambering would probably make it harder to sell unless the buyer is looking for that cartridge specifically. Based on what I have seen at my local dealer (who actually puts real world prices on his tags) I would say $400.00.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

$400-$500 is my gut call. The post-64's are good utilitarian rifles, but they are the Model 70 that nobody deliberately goes looking for. The .25-06 is a good utilitarian cartridge, but it's a round that very few deliberately go looking for. If Pop is on a budget, Junior needs a deer rifle, and that's on the used rack, well. . .it'll do. That price puts you between the ultra cheap, modern day "cookie cutter" rifles and the classic Winchesters - which is rightfully where that gun belongs.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.