Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Marlin .44-40

Boolit Mold

Early Marlin .44-40

So I finally got a chance to work up some loads for my old Marlin 1894 .44-40 Carbine.

This rifle was dated by the Marlin Firearms Collector's Association as being made in late 1921 or early 1922.

The bore slugged at a rather snug .425" on the grooves and .419" on the lands, so a 200gr .427" boolit with a BHN of 16 cast by CJN Casting was chosen for my trials.

Cases are new Starline, primers are CCI 200 Large Pistol and, seeing as I have several pounds of it, Unique powder was selected.

My goal was 1350fps and no leading, so I used Lyman's #50 manual as my primary guide.

Now, Lyman divides .44-40 rifle loads into 2 groups... Group 1 is for weaker actions like the Winchester 1873,
    while Group 2 is for stronger actions, of which the Marlin Model 1894 and even the earlier Model 1889 (black powder) is listed.

So, under group 2, using a 205gr boolit (5grs heavier than mine), they show a starting load of 9.5grs of Unique, and a max charge of 10.5grs, with a velocity of 1410fps from a 24" barrel.

I started at a very conservative 7.0grs, working up in 1gr increments to 10.0grs (.5grs below published max).

My results were kinda surprising. 7grs gave me 1150fps from my gun's 20" barrel, and 4" groups 6" left of point of aim @ 50yards.

8grs bumped velocity to 1230fps and shrunk groups to 3".

9grs went 1360fps, and while group size remained @ 3", point of impact shifted 3" closer to point of aim.

10grs resulted in a group of 1.5" right at point of aim (it was beautiful! Lol), but velocity went to 1470fps... 60fps faster than the published load, using 5% less powder and 4" less barrel.

So... should I be concerned with the extra unexpected velocity? My thoughts are the snug bore and throat may play a role by boosting pressure, though the boolit seems to be sized to match.

A peek down the mirror-like bore shows zero leading, though only 12 total rounds were fired.

I know modern 1894's are good to about 37,000 psi, which this load is far below (Lyman lists their 10.5gr /205gr Max load @ 19,700 CUP), but this carbine is nearly 100 years old.

As I am undecided, I'm just wondering if folks think all's well, or if I should back er down a fuzz?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190401_111412.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	239030

Name:	20190401_111540.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	239032

Name:	20190327_113242.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	239031
    Last edited by Rustyjunk73; 05-12-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Great Shooting!!!!!
    That's one nice looking rifle too.

You should be fine!

The greater velocity could be due to the smaller .425 bore, which can also increase chamber pressures. I would certainly stick to .427 bullets if you plan on shooting the Group II loads as I do with my Marlin 1889 made in 1891 although mine is .429

(Magma Engineering Company) http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/BBOct132008b.pdf

10gr's of Unique that I have tested with a 200gr .429 Magma "Cowboy" gave me 14,000psi but so did original 1880's unheadstamped Semi-balloonhead black powder cartridges with Swiss FFG and Lyman's 205gr 427098.

Boolit Grand Master

Good evening
    Your rifle is the best gauge of the load.
    Does the brass freely eject or are they "sticky" ?
    After 24 hours can they nearly be thumb pushed back into a clean chamber ? Do they just slide in freely ? Does the brass resize easily ?
    Are the primers backing out of the case ?
    Any leading at the chamber area and the first couple inches of the barrel from the chamber?
    Is the load accurate ? That you already answered.

So those are factors I look at in my firearms. Yours would easily be different than mine. So feed it what it likes.

But I will add.. on the simple basis or longevity maybe I might drop to 9 grains for everyday shooting and save that 10 grain load for corn crunchers, yotes, pigs and other critters I want to "thwap" with authority.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good evening
    Your rifle is the best gauge of the load.
    Does the brass freely eject or are they "sticky" ?
    After 24 hours can they nearly be thumb pushed back into a clean chamber ? Do they just slide in freely ? Does the brass resize easily ?
    Are the primers backing out of the case ?
    Any leading at the chamber area and the first couple inches of the barrel from the chamber?
    Is the load accurate ? That you already answered.

So those are factors I look at in my firearms. Yours would easily be different than mine. So feed it what it likes.

But I will add.. on the simple basis or longevity maybe I might drop to 9 grains for everyday shooting and save that 10 grain load for corn crunchers, yotes, pigs and other critters I want to "thwap" with authority.
    Mike in Peru
    Excellent information Mike.

Food for thought

1 1/4" dia. RIFLE Barrel : I have tested 23,000psi loads...could be approx. 27,000cup and no "sticky" cases. primers are evident to flattening.....but no different than Winchester and Lyman's Group II rifle 22,000cup loads. I can assure that a shooter will break a 44-40 caliber firearm long before excessive high pressures signs are seen....especially revolvers. There is a chance one could experience sticky brass in a thin walled revolver cylinder but odds are, because the 44-40 cases are thin anyway, that a shooter will break one first. I have shot Group II 18,000psi (22,000cup) loads in my 44 Magnum framed SAA with a 44-40 cylinder with tad thicker cylinder walls than the cattleman with no problems but is very unpleasant. I don't even like shooting light 44 magnum loads! I certainly would not try such loads in a standard Cattleman frame.

My experience with backing out primers are only with light loads in revolvers.

I have never had leading with rifle powders, only faster burning pistol powders....

although your mileage may very in all examples!!!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks folks. Negative on sticky extraction or flattened primers. Actually, the primer's edges are just as round after firing as they were before being loaded. Fired empties will drop right into the chamber with no fuss.

I inspected every inch of the bore with my naked eyeball (no access to a bore scope), and can see no trace of leading, though as stated above, only 12 total shots of varying intensities were fired during this session.

I'm guessing I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill. It's just that I'm not accustomed to seeing velocities from my guns registering higher than published loads that were measured in ideal lab conditions from longer pressure barrels.

I suppose it could be the different boolit designs that would create the anomaly, but who knows.

I have only loaded the .44-40 in modern Marlins made with modern alloys and .429" bores. My main concern here was stressing a classic carbine with a load it apperantly loves, but I can not find any sign of stressful pressures anywhere along this journey.

I may revisit the 9gr load again, and maybe try to split the difference with 9.5grs and see where that leads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjunk73 View Post
    I suppose it could be the different boolit designs that would create the anomaly, but who knows.

I have only loaded the .44-40 in modern Marlins made with modern alloys and .429" bores. My main concern here was stressing a classic carbine with a load it apperantly loves, but I can not find any sign of stressful pressures anywhere along this journey.

I may revisit the 9gr load again, and maybe try to split the difference with 9.5grs and see where that leads.
    Bullet hardness does make a difference. Hard cast bullets may have less resistance than soft cast. This is stressed on Buffalo Bore's website

Reposted with previous written permission....

Buffalo Bore Full Power Black Powder Equivalent 44-40 (44WCF) Ammunition
    For nearly two decades, as of this writing, (12-20-17) our customers have been requesting some full power 44-40 loads. Because of the antiquity of this cartridge (It was first developed as a black powder only cartridge in the mid-1800’s), there are numerous potential issues with making modern full power loads, as I will describe below.

Original 200gr. lead (not hard cast, but lead) bullets achieved around 1,000 fps from 7.5-inch barreled revolvers of the day and 1,300+ fps from rifles. Our new loads do that and a bit more with smokeless powders while staying within the black powder pressures of 13,000 CUP as a maximum average pressure.

Back in the 1800’s, there was no way for the gun/ammo industry to standardize pressures or firearm dimensions, hence my hesitancy to produce modern ammo designed for specific firearm dimensions of today. Allow me to give you an example of just one set of dynamics that are problematic. Early Colt revolvers specified a bore diameter of .427 inch, (44 SPL and 44 Mag. utilize .429 inch bore diameters) but some of those revolvers used a chamber throat of .423-.424 inch. This was done to raise pressures with black powder and get uniform ignition and higher velocity from revolvers (this is not an issue with rifles) by forcing that soft, pure lead bullet of around .427-.428 diameter into the smaller chamber throat and forcing that chamber throat to size down the bullet………...then, when that soft bullet would hit the .427 bore, it was soft enough to “slug up” to .427, seal the bore, shoot accurately and at high velocity. So, here’s one of the problems in making modern ammo……. if someone is negligent enough to fire modern ammo featuring HARD CAST bullets through an old revolver with such undersized chamber throats……hard cast bullets are much harder than pure lead and if you try to force a very hard bullet through a grossly undersized chamber throat, that hard bullet will not easily size down like pure lead and would, therefore, raise pressures higher than the old iron (not steel, but iron) revolvers can withstand. To avoid this type of issue, please do not shoot this modern 44-40 ammo through any revolver made before 1900. By 1900, the steel used for these revolvers, was actually steel, not iron.

But (there has to be a but) another issue is that there are many old revolvers that are in very poor shooting condition and it is risky to shoot them with any ammo……so, I’m asking each shooter to be responsible and have any questionable revolvers checked by a competent gunsmith (not all gunsmiths are very competent) before firing them with any ammo. In America, folks are quite careless and thoughtless about what they do with firearms (believe me) and then when they make a mistake and hurt themselves or others, they simply sue……. never mind that they neglected to be responsible for their actions in the first place………this is modern America, where nobody accepts responsibility for educating themselves before they start shooting or involving themselves in many activities.

Frankly, I would not fire any ammo from any firearm that was made of steel for black powder use. The 1894 Winchester, chambered in 30-30 was the very first American firearm for civilians with barrel steel designed to contain the higher pressures of smokeless powder. By 1900 most gun makers were getting on board with higher pressure cylinder and barrel steel for smokeless powder. This would be a great place to ask you to read my essay on aging firearms.

THE DANGERS OF NOT AGING YOUR FIREARM, VERSUS THE ADVENT OF“HIGH-PRESSURE STEEL” FOR USE WITH SMOKELESS POWDER

If I sound jaundiced at the irresponsible and unaccountable generation of Americans we have raised, I am. Far too many of them are still living in their single mom’s basement while in their 20’s or 30’s and all they have to do is turn 21 and they can buy a handgun and ammo and start blasting away…………when they negligently make a mistake, their mommy tells them it is not their fault, which is what she’s been doing since they were little boys. Then they go searching for an attorney. This generation of “do nothing”, wait for handouts from our government or mommy, irresponsible Americans is deeply disturbing to me. The idea of such folks buying and handling firearms is spooky at best and the idea of them buying my ammo, using it carelessly and then suing me, is always on my mind. I get daily emails from customers who demonstrate they are careless and foolish with firearms and ammo and whatever mistake they happen to make, is not their fault, just ask them! Rant over.

You can see the list of firearms (and their corresponding velocities) I used to develop these modern 44-40 loads. We use real world firearms to generate our advertised velocities. We believe it is an industry-wide duplicitous practice to use laboratory barrels to produce advertised velocities, which real-world firearms will never achieve.

Accuracy with both new BBA 44-40 loads was good to excellent in all the firearms listed below.

Item # 44-40 200 HC, features a 15 BHN hard cast bullet. (Pure lead is 4-5 BHN) This bullet will not expand when impacting living mammalian tissues at 1,300 fps or less. It will act as a “solid” and therefore penetrate quite deeply (at least three feet+, depending on what bones are struck). The flat nose will do a great deal of terminal damage when compared to a round nose bullet.
    The bullet is sized .428 inch and fits wonderfully into .427 through .429 bores.
    We are also using a flash suppressed powder to avoid blinding muzzle flash in the event you are forced to drop the hammer in low light when the criminal element and when wild animals are most active.
    We do not intend to make a jacketed bullet load in 44-40 as jacketed bullets, in general, are not as slick as hard cast bullets and raise pressures far too much. We would have to load a jacketed bullet about 200-250 fps slower than a hard cast bullet to stay within the SAAMI max. average pressure spec. of 13,000 CUP.
    ➤ 1,350 fps -- Winchester model 1892, 20-inch barrel, circa 1916
    ➤ 1,353 fps -- Uberti model 1873, 19-inch barrel, circa 1997
    ➤ 1,034 fps -- Ruger Vaquero (large frame), 7.5-inch barrel, circa 2003
    ➤ 1,036 fps -- Colt New Service, 7.5-inch barrel, circa 1905
    ➤ 980 fps -- S&W model 544, 5.5-inch barrel, circa 1980’s
    ➤ ??? fps -- Custom (Brian Pearce made) SAA replica, 5.5-inch barrel, circa 2017
    ➤ 949 fps -- Ruger converted 357 Mag. flat top (by Jack Huntington), circa 1959, 4.75-inch barrel
    Item # 44-40 185 HP utilizes a much softer (hollow nose) bullet than our 200gr. load. This bullet is designed to expand and is roughly 8-9 BHN in hardness. It will expand on impact at handgun velocities on living flesh and bone and will expand radically on such tissues at rifle velocities. Expect about 18 to 24 inches of penetration in living mammalian tissues, depending on impact velocity and what bones, if any, are struck. Again, we are using a flash suppressed powder. This bullet is sized .428 inch and works great in bores of .427 to .430 inch. This bullet is soft enough to “slug up” under pressure, to fill/seal bores as large as .431 inch.
    ➤ 1,471 fps -- Winchester model 1892, 20-inch barrel, circa 1916
    ➤ 1,470 fps -- Uberti model 1873, 19-inch barrel, circa 1997
    ➤ 1,171 fps -- Ruger Vaquero (large frame), 7.5-inch barrel, circa 2003
    ➤ 1,199 fps -- Colt New Service, 7.5-inch barrel, circa 1905---
    ➤ 1,073 fps -- S&W Model 544, 5.5-inch barrel, circa 1980’s
    ➤ ??? fps -- Custom (Brian Pearce made) SAA replica, 5.5-inch barrel, circa 2017
    ➤ 1,101 fps -- Ruger converted 357 Mag. flat top, (by Jack Huntington) 4.75-inch barrel, circa 1959
    I hope you enjoy this powerful and useful 44-40 ammo. I hope that you are responsible and thoughtful about which firearms you choose to fire it in. It will only take one irresponsible user of this ammo, to sue me for their own negligence and I will have to remove it from the market. Good shooting and God bless.

Tim
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=513
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 04-02-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Sounds like you have a winner! Keep playing and it will get better. Trying different boolits and powders could get you there also. I've had good luck with IMR 4227, maybe try 18grs to start. Alliant 2400 is a good one too, start at 16.5grs. Unique is a fine one, and I have tried it in both 44 and 38wcf, but my neck area and throats are liking a little slower powders. Theyre a bit pitted.

Boolit Buddy
    Savvy,, this is what "Ken Waters " wrote back in Sept. 1984,about the 44/40,, seems to hold true today. I Like the article and I'v been loading my 44/40 & 40/60 based on this ( Buffalo Arms & Ken Waters )type thinking.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    Savvy,, this is what "Ken Waters " wrote back in Sept. 1984,about the 44/40,, seems to hold true today. I Like the article and I'v been loading my 44/40 & 40/60 based on this ( Buffalo Arms & Ken Waters )type thinking.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.
    I like the way Ken thinks!! Scroll down to page 32 at the link. https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi...142partial.pdf

A fast accurate Barrel is a very good thing to have. I would go with 9 grs also as a gesture of respect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

And realize that even changing your lube and bullet hardness can cause that much of a velocity change.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Mold
    So the weather (and my schedule) finally cleared up enough to re-visit this .44-40 carbine. I loaded up some of the fired cases from my 1st range time (fully prepped and resized of course) and duplicated the 9gr load that had delivered 1360fps last month. I wanted to see if the 3" group I experienced was just sloppy shooting on my part, or if it would remain consistant.

This time, I used a lead sled and really buckled down on my sight picture and trigger.

The results were exactly the same... 3" group, 3" left. Now it was about 30 degrees warmer than it was during my initial trip to the range, and I seen velocities climb a tick to an average of 1397fps, but that was the only change I witnessed.

One thing I didn't mention in my 1st post is, upon chambering a cartridge, it would take a bit of a squeeze on the lever to get the cartridge and bolt into battery. I 1st marked this up to new, unfired Starline cases. But these were all full-length sized, once-fired brass from this very rifle, and the squeeze was still required. Nothing astronomical, but a light required squeeze nonetheless. I am now wondering if the chamber itself is just as far on the snug side as the bore.

The resized cases will drop into the chamber without issue, so I'm thinking even the smallish .427" boolits might be a fuzz too large... especially with Starline's slightly thicker case walls.

Thinking I may get a .426" boolit sizing die and see what that offers in chambering and overall velocity.

What are your folks thoughts?

So the weather (and my schedule) finally cleared up enough to re-visit this .44-40 carbine. I loaded up some of the fired cases from my 1st range time (fully prepped and resized of course) and duplicated the 9gr load that had delivered 1360fps last month. I wanted to see if the 3" group I experienced was just sloppy shooting on my part, or if it would remain consistant.

This time, I used a lead sled and really buckled down on my sight picture and trigger.

The results were exactly the same... 3" group, 3" left. Now it was about 30 degrees warmer than it was during my initial trip to the range, and I seen velocities climb a tick to an average of 1397fps, but that was the only change I witnessed.

One thing I didn't mention in my 1st post is, upon chambering a cartridge, it would take a bit of a squeeze on the lever to get the cartridge and bolt into battery. I 1st marked this up to new, unfired Starline cases. But these were all full-length sized, once-fired brass from this very rifle, and the squeeze was still required. Nothing astronomical, but a light required squeeze nonetheless. I am now wondering if the chamber itself is just as far on the snug side as the bore.

The resized cases will drop into the chamber without issue, so I'm thinking even the smallish .427" boolits might be a fuzz too large... especially with Starline's slightly thicker case walls.

Thinking I may get a .426" boolit sizing die and see what that offers in chambering and overall velocity.

What are your folks thoughts?
    What style bullet are you using? If there is any driving band forward of the case mouth, your bullet is hitting the rifling in the chamber. After you chamber a round, eject it and see if there are marks like in the below photo. If the bullet is touching the rifling, it can cause an increase in chamber pressures.
    Attachment 241529
    Attachment 241530

This is why the 44-40 bullet has a particular "ogive profile" such as the Winchester JSP and the Lyman 427098 for these early rifles. Left cartridge will not chamber, right cartridge has a soft lead bullet and will chamber. Using a .426 bullet can help.
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 05-12-2019 at 09:52 AM.

What could the "little squeeze" mean? I'm certain that it doesn't mean that the chamber is slightly resizing the brass. To me it would indicate that the rifle is still nice and tight with relatively little wear, and that a little squeeze is required to lock up the action. I'd take it as a good sign. Of course there's less effort required to close the bolt on an empty chamber, because the bolt isn't being pushed against the rear of the cartridge and there's no resistance. Far better to have a good tight seal than to have it be loosey-goosey with sparks flying out of the breech when it's fired.

Boolit Mold
    Well I'll be. My boolits are commercial 200gr .44-40 pills, offered by CNJ Casting out of NJ. As I am not set up to cast my own, Carl was recommended to me by some of the fine folks here.

Anyway, I did exactly what Savvy Jack said, chambered and ejected one of my loaded cartridges and gave it the once over.

Guess what I found???

This is disappointing, as CNJ was one of the few commercial casters that offered a boolit sized to .427". I already have em seated to the top of the crimp groove, so I'm not sure what else to do but start over and try to find another .427" boolit with the proper profile.

Fresh cartridge vs one that was chambered (with the slight lever squeeze added). Can't beleive I missed this.

Views:	19 
ID:	241533

Name:	20190512_101951.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	241534

Well I'll be. My boolits are commercial 200gr .44-40 pills, offered by CNJ Casting out of NJ. As I am not set up to cast my own, Carl was recommended to me by some of the fine folks here.

Anyway, I did exactly what Savvy Jack said, chambered and ejected one of my loaded cartridges and gave it the once over.

Guess what I found???

This is disappointing, as CNJ was one of the few commercial casters that offered a boolit sized to .427". I already have em seated to the top of the crimp groove, so I'm not sure what else to do but start over and try to find another .427" boolit with the proper profile.

Fresh cartridge vs one that was chambered (with the slight lever squeeze added). Can't beleive I missed this.

Views:	19 
ID:	241533

Name:	20190512_101951.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	241534
    Looking at my notes, 9gr of Unique with Oregon Trail's hard cast "Lazer Cast" ".429 Magma" (Typical modern 44-40 commercial design) gave me 1,305fps @ 12,654psi. That is slightly higher than SAAMI's map 11,000psi max. Perfectly fine for even older Marlins in great shape. I do not remember how much pressures increase when the bullets touch the rifling but it could be close to 22,000cup (approx. 18,000psi). Ironically 22,000cup is what Winchester's High Velocity loads produced and were perfectly fine for the Marlin 89's, 94's as well as Winchester's 92's.

According to my notes, 10gr of the same produced 1,419fps @ 14,007psi while 10.5gr with a soft 427098 produced 1,469fps @ 17,837psi

I think you where using a Marlin but I would not be too keen on using 14,000psi loads regularly in a Winchester 73' even though my early BP replications produced 14,285psi.

I used 20gr of IMR-4227 in my 1889 Marlin made in 1891 which loads produced 12,250psi in my MGM barrel. Those cartridges touched the rifling in the Marlin so I no longer use them regularly. I have used as much as 26gr of IMR-4227 in the Marlin with 1,733fps @ 20,913psi and did not like it (I got scared) so I only use that load in my modern Marlin 1894CB. Been there done that, prooved a point.....ain't gonna do it no more

Oh Rusty, that "flat" part of the bullet just in front of the case mouth is the forward driving band....I am sure you already know that....just wanted to make sure we were on the same line of thinking. That driving band is not part of a true 44-40 bullet although it is very common on anything not a Lyman 427098. Since most modern manufactures use 44 magnum barrels, the chambers and forcing cones are cut for .429-.430 bullets as well as for use with smokeless powders.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Oh Rusty, that "flat" part of the bullet just in front of the case mouth is the forward driving band....I am sure you already know that....just wanted to make sure we were on the same line of thinking. That driving band is not part of a true 44-40 bullet although it is very common on anything not a Lyman 427098. Since most modern manufactures use 44 magnum barrels, the chambers and forcing cones are cut for .429-.430 bullets as well as for use with smokeless powders.
    Yup. Early Marlin 1894 Carbine made around 1921-1922.
    I knew it was the forward driving band. Did not know it wasn't incorporated into the original .44-40 design. As I'm already to the top of the crimp groove, what is the general consensus of crimping directly into that driving band?

Of course, I'd have to start load development over, due to seating the boolit further into the case, reducing case capacity.

I'd like to salvage the remaining boolits (about 230 of 'em), and I know they shoot, as witnessed with the 10gr Unique load.

Boolit Mold
    Here is the actual boolit.

Name:	20190512_132650.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	241543

Crimping that bullet deeper does two things. It increases chamber pressures and increases the chance of the bullet "telescoping" down even further from the pressure of the mag tube spring tension. That you have is a hard cast bullet. Crimping on the driving band is fine and is the method with the Lyman 427098. With soft lead, a crimp is forced into the lead....but hard lead could cause problems.

Since the chamber pressures can increase with what you already have or with seating the bullet deeper, I'd leave it like it is.

There is actually a third method....trimming the case...but that too can increase chamber pressures. I doubt it will be enough to hurt the Marlin BUT we all have to make our own decisions and create our own comfort zones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast