Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early Marlin .44-40

Here is some more information on seating depths.

https://curtisshawk21.wixsite.com/44...t-history-pt-1

Boolit Bub
    I had the same problem with my 94 marlin this a later one 400xxx serial number. It was chambering rounds hard. you had make sure the lever was closed all the way. I bought a lee crimp die & That solved the problem . They chamber like they should now. My question is does increase chamber pressure & if so a person quit this practice? I have not noticed any problems with fired cases & accuracy seems the same.

Here is an example of increased pressures with the bullets touching the rifling.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=18

Boolit Buddy
    If you park your car's front wheels against a 8" curb and accelerate forward until the car jumps over the curb ,, or park back 8" from the curb and accelerate until the car moves forward and jumps over the curb ,, which method will take less power ( pressure ) ?

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Crimping that bullet deeper does two things. It increases chamber pressures and increases the chance of the bullet "telescoping" down even further from the pressure of the mag tube spring tension. That you have is a hard cast bullet. Crimping on the driving band is fine and is the method with the Lyman 427098. With soft lead, a crimp is forced into the lead....but hard lead could cause problems.

Since the chamber pressures can increase with what you already have or with seating the bullet deeper, I'd leave it like it is.

There is actually a third method....trimming the case...but that too can increase chamber pressures. I doubt it will be enough to hurt the Marlin BUT we all have to make our own decisions and create our own comfort zones.
    Thanks Savvy. I knew seating the boolit deeper would spike pressures a bit, hense my saying I'd have to start over with the load development.
    Think I may load 10 dummies, seat past the crimp groove and give it a solid crimp toward the upper half of that front driving band. Load and cycle em over and over again and look for any boolit setback.
    To me, seating the boolit a fuzz deep feels more controlable than jamming the thing into the lands, which seems more likely to possibly set the boolit into the case further without knowing it as well, actually causing a double-whammy in the pressure increase department.

I suppose the only real proper way would be to abandon these boolits completely and find some with the correct .44-40 profile though, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjunk73 View Post
    I suppose the only real proper way would be to abandon these boolits completely and find some with the correct .44-40 profile though, huh?
    Yeap,

Here are some commercially cast 427098's https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...8-205gr-fn-pb/

If you do decide to seat those Magma's a bit deeper to crimp on the driving band, you might want to back off the charge a grain and check. Also, load the magazine full a few times and eject all of them and check to make sure they are crimped good. A Lee factory Crimp die would probably work best in that application.

Boolit Bub
    Seat it deeper and shoot No way it can be a problem with your loads that’s what I do. I also have a marlin 94 older than yours.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruts View Post
    Seat it deeper and shoot No way it can be a problem with your loads that’s what I do. I also have a marlin 94 older than yours.
    Your Marlin give you the same issue with the Magma profile?

I have never used the Lyman 427666 so....Make sure I am correct here:

Lyman lists the Lyman 427098 bullet with 10.5gr max of Unique for Group II rifles. The 098 seats deeper than the 200gr Magma. Although I have not tested any myself, seating the Magma to the same depth as the 098 should not be a problem BUT.........(insert disclaimer here)!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjunk73 View Post
    Your Marlin give you the same issue with the Magma profile?
    Yes doesn’t everyone with a 44 40 find out you can’t have full diameter bullet sticking out the case mouth? I had some with a bit of lever squeeze and some that wouldn’t chamber before I figured it out. Also with my marlin I had Hornady jacketed .430bullets going 1650 FPS in my .421 bore because I had read that if you can chamber it it’s not too big. That was before I drove a .427 bullet down the bore and measured it at .421lands.Now I don’t use the .430 jacketed because I think the pressure may be high although there were no signs.but maybe that advise is true my evidence says so but I will proceed with caution anyway. My takeaway from this is the 44 40 is forgiving with group 2 guns
    Last edited by Ruts; 05-22-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Actually I am not familiar with a magma but I have seated bullets out too far.

Yes doesn’t everyone with a 44 40 find out you can’t have full diameter bullet sticking out the case mouth?
    Only in some rifles like early Marlin 1894s like my 1889 made in 1891

Also with my marlin I had Hornady jacketed .430bullets going 1650 FPS in my .421 bore because I had read that if you can chamber it it’s not too big. That was before I drove a .427 bullet down the bore and measured it at .421 lands. Now I don’t use the .430 jacketed because I think the pressure may be high
    Yes, jacketed .430's down a .421 bore will create high chamber pressures.

although there were no signs.but maybe that advise is true my evidence says so but I will proceed with caution anyway.
    You will not see cartridge case high pressure signs in a 44-40 until it's too late.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190523_104641.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	242281heres i pic of my load of 7.5 gr tinstar in the nickle cases and the jacketed bullets with 20 gr. N110 in the brass. The tinstar loads have bigger firing pin strikes

My 21,000psi loads just start to flatten the primers. Since the max psi is 11,000 for Group I rifles.......

Boolit Bub
    Yes you can only tell in the pic the pressure difference by the primer strikes the primer perimeters look the same

Yes you can only tell in the pic the pressure difference by the primer strikes the primer perimeters look the same
    exactly!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12