Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My casting shed

Camper64 is absolutely correct. It has everything to do with building code. If I had built the shed on a foundation I would need to buy a permit and get inspections. It would be a permanent structure. The construction of the shed would never pass code not that it's bad. I would also need to spend more money than I have on a shed. There are people on here that have much more money than I. The area we live in requires you to dig 3' down to place a footing and then a foundation wall. I would have to hire an excavator to dig for me. I'm to old the do it by hand. Then pour a slab and or build on top of the foundation. An 8' span would require 2X8 floor joists.

"Those 2 little 2x4s between the floor joists and pad" are pressure treated lumber. The same sill plates you put between the concrete foundation and the floor system of your house. If they rot away I can just jack the shed up and place new ones. The concrete pad has a slope so any water will drain off, plus the wind here blows almost constantly drying anything under there out. It's a dry climate here we get less then 12" of rain a year.

If you drive around your area neighbourhood you will see construction where the floor cantilevers past the bearing wall and does just fine.

I am a professional I worked as a carpenter for thirty years. I have built everything from dog houses for rich people to mansions for people that have way more money than I do.

Finally if I ever move I can take it with me it is only a shed after all.
    Last edited by MaLar; 04-02-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

USMC 77, USRA 79

What the heck is all this code talk..?? No “code” except a code of ethics where I live... I guess I should try to live in the “real” world sometime..lol

Just funnin guys.. I do know what code is.. just dont need to worry about that sort of nonsense here thank the Lord.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Looks like a good sized pad. Sounds like you are well past due for a loading room.
    Your pics are making me home sick.
    Looks almost like Soda Springs area.
    Pocatello.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Using MX Linux 21

Sorry for being critical of your build. It would never last around here and most places are getting wetter not dryer. When I had my big barn kit built by Home Depot the only thing that was inspected was the footer for the block foundation. It threw the builders a curve as they had never built one on a block foundation, they had 6x8 treated beams that they built off of that sat on the ground. The floor joices and floor plywood is all treated, all the floor joices [upstairs too] are on 1 ft centers. It will outlast my house. Love my barn. Had weather damage on the double doors so I repaired them and built the ‘eyebrow’ over them last year. I also built the lower deck and corner. Attachment 239075 Hope you get yours weathered in before the rain.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 04-03-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    It’s looking good it’s moving along at a nice pace. Setting on that slab should make it last a lot longer no pooling under no vegetation close to wood.
    I built one with the shed the same size as the pad and sometimes would find Bermuda runners 3’ long inside that were sneaking in under the siding.
    Live and learn.

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MaLar View Post
    Pocatello.
    I grew up in Pocatello. My folks live up mink Creek Rd. Small world

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Looks like osb on the roof... don’t want that wet I don’t think time for a tarp until you get some tin up there.
    OSB (oriented strand board) will be fine in the weather for a short time
    "Allowing OSB to get wet is not a wonderful idea but it's done all the time. Most of the time there is very little harm and the material doesn't loose strength or any of its integrity. Under the best circumstances, the OSB sheathing is delivered to the site, installed and covered within a few days."

I would suggest anchoring the shed to the slab at the corners if you get any high winds in your area.

You got a lot done, It'll be nice to have an area/building just for reloading

Awe...who cares about all the details? What I want to know is...did you put a window on the back side so you can enjoy all that pretty countryside before they fill it up with houses?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

USMC 77, USRA 79

Lol... once on my way to twin falls to visit my father, I was driving down the highway past Pocatello around 55 mph, and a tumble weed passed me on the left... you bet they get wind...lol
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    A non-permit shed can't be any bigger than 8'x8' (64sqft) here, anything bigger needs to have a permit & plans. Anything over 200sqft is considered a garage and needs Architects plans. Any shed over 8'x8' would be taxed. Pre-build sheds get set on gravel or slab. No need to use a raised platform here. All the under framing here would be pressure treated lumber. I've built a couple of kit sheds for people all were built on a gravel base except one went on a slab. I spent some time in eastern North Carolina, we built everything high about 8ft off the ground as the house was on the Pamlico Sound. Good luck on your shed.

Boolit Master

Codes stink.

Helped my daughter buid her home. She had a plumber put water and drains in the slab, I did the rest and the wiring. Plumbing and electrical had to meet code, 2 inspections on plumbing, 3 on electrical. My wife had a very low opinion of the third inspector and his comments. Had to use tamper proof outlets that cost about 5 times as much as standard outlets and you can hardly get a plug in them. Found out later that my cousin was part of the national board or whatever it was that put that in the code. Told him very plainly what I thought about those outlets.

Currently building a house and shop where I do not have to meet any codes, though the water company does require a static pressure test of the drains before I can get water hooked up to the house and shop. Doing my own wiring or the state would require it to be done to code. Everything I am doing would meet code except for the outlets and the absence of any arc fault breakers, which were 8 to 10 time higher than standard breakers when I priced them a couple of years ago.

MaLar, congrats on getting your shed started. Looks good and hope you enjoy it.

Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I did my own wiring on my barn after my retirement. Must have done it right. Ran everything through conduit to keep it neat. Plenty of outlets over my workbenches and even in the ceiling. Automatic exhaust fan in the eave over the window. The next big project will be a central vac system. My power supply is off a meter that was installed by fema when we had a fema mini trailer put on the property after Irene. It was a ‘temporary’ pole but the county inspector [had to have all the wiring ripped out of the house from the wall recepticals down] [new footer, new foundation, new wiring of course had to be county inspected] didn’t specify how long temporary was, wink wink, nod nod. Now it supplies my shop and I get 2 bills from the Duke Power.

Got the metal roofing today hope to have it on this weekend. Wohooo!

Using MX Linux 21

Well the weather has been **** here plus my work hours have limited my time to work on the shed.
    I have all but the ridge metal on the roof.

Does any one have an idea on how much ventilation I'll need when casting?
    I use a turkey fryer for heat and cast from a cast iron pot that holds 30-40 Lbs.

I have found a fan that will do 240 CFPM and I have a stove hood I'm going to place close over the pot.
    If I put these together will I get enough air moved if I duct it outside?

Using MX Linux 21

Boolit Master
    A concern for clearing the fumes - smoke from inside is getting your exhaust far enough from any openings that you don’t pull it right back in.
    Running the vent hood exhaust straight out the roof a foot or two above the peak of your building may be best. Hopefully one of our member engineers can give you an educated answer.

Boolit Buddy
    I miss that Gal that had that Coffee Shed that sat on the corner where The Green T used to be. She made excellent coffee. I think there is a Cael's Jr. or something there now. Cant park a Semi there anymore either.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

MaLar, did you ever finish your shed and start casting?

I have the roof finished and started insulation and sheet rock inside.
    Built a riser for the turkey fryer I use to melt and cast from, it was to low.

I have been busy with plumbing the house and getting ready for the electrician.
    We're having an on demand water heater installed.

We have an older home and there's hardly any water flow through the old corroded pipes. I'm replacing all with PEX.

Using MX Linux 21

Boolit Master
    That sounds unreasonable to me , are you saying you and your family picked running water and a hot shower over a bunch of new boolits......so sad...

Fraid so no family just wife and I. She is kinda the boss!

Using MX Linux 21

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast