Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOCOM or Bushmaster ?

Banned

Question SOCOM or Bushmaster ?

Looking at a 45 caliber AR upper. Pro and cons of 458 SOCOM vs 450 Bushmaster ?

Banned

They are both good.
    I went with SOCOM as it can use standard mags in a pinch.
    The Bushmaster has more juice
    The SOCOM has a bigger diameter and you can go up to around 600 grain bullets.
    There is more load data for the Bushmaster and it has a SAAMI spec
    I am happy with the SOCOM, but I would probably be happy with the Bushmaster.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I went bushmaster. But both are goood with much overlapping amenities.

For me with J bullets I had more of the smaller 45. Plus I did not always “need” all its horse power and wanted to be able to shoot the lighter weights. Cant easily do that with the 458. (I traded off a 454 rifle to get the 450.)

If I wanted the heavies the 458 would be a hands down choice.

Good news you probably cant make a bad choice!

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 04-01-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I went with the Bushmaster as more stores are selling ammunition for it. You have to buy the SOCOM ammo off the internet and or reload for it. the Bushmaster round is also quite popular in those states that allow only a straight sided cartridge of a certain max length for hunting too. There are now single shot and bolt action rifles chambered for the Bushmaster too. I think that the 450 Bushmaster was released into the public domain but the 458 SOCOM is proprietary. The Bushmaster is sort of a light 45-70 whereas the 458 SOCOM is more like the 45-70. But then its really splitting hairs between them. So whichever one you go with would be good.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 04-01-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: typo

Banned

Good article. Does not discuss the magazine modification necessary for the .450
    The .458 can run in unmodified magazines. I like big slow bullets. A 600 grain bullet has barely slowed down at 100 yards. Best choice, the Lancer WarFighter magazines. I never see the SOCOM being more popular than the Bushmaster, but I doubt it will ever go away. Same with the Blackout, supersonic to subsonic. More my style.

Boolit Buddy
    "One of the biggest arguments for the .458 SOCOM is the ability to handle up to 600-grain. The .450 Bushmaster can’t handle even half of that."

I bet Federal will be surprised to hear that. They have 300gr in power-shok and fusion for the 450.

I went with the 450BM because I was interested in <300 gr and my 45 molds are .452.

Boolit Master

I agree. I shoot mostly 300g in my bushmaster. It shoots it well in J & Cast.

Why the limit?? The rifle stabulizes it very well.

We are not peaking subsonic. At least I am not.

CW

Boolit Master
    Bushmaster, brass, brass life, bullets and boolits, recoil and point blank range.

Boolit Buddy
    when faced with such a decision (like 6.5 Grendel vs 6.5 creedmoor) I typically cover all bases and go with both.

Boolit Master
    If I remember right some people did use 400 grain and maybe heavier bullets with the 450 Bushmaster. But the case may taper back and get more thick as you seat the bullet more deeply. So that would need to be addressed. You do lose propellant capacity so the performance would be less but better than say a 44 Magnum though. Lyman's reloading book shows using up to 325 grain cast bullets with it.
    This fellow in this thread used up to 415 grain bullets. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...450-Bushmaster
    Oh yeah, going subsonic with 500 grain bullets here too http://450bushmaster.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16120

Boolit Mold
    458, 500gr cast with suppressor. ��

Boolit Master
    I went with 458 Socom,found my Tromix very reliable and accurate with some bullets. Cast accuracy didn't happen to me though.

But I sold it last week. Being a longtime 45-70 shooter,458 Socom always felt sort of undergunned,shooting the same bullets much slower than with my Marlin. I was pushing 458 Socom safety with my loads as well...

But they both are good if you like. Many 458 bullets do not expand at Socom velocities, 350 Hornady was shooting cloverleafs @ 75 meters but the bullet design is for 458 Win velocities so...

Boolit Master

Thats another reason I choose the Bushmaster Partender.

NEVER a worry about the bullets as the vast majority ifbthem are designed for LESS velocity than I can attain. In my case over thirty years experience with smaller 45’s killing Deer. I KNOW i dont need all the power avalible.

As for accuracy, that was exceptional accuracy. But both of these cartridges can shoot better than many folks shooting them.

CW

Banned
    bushmaster. Scares the **** out of people who see deer hit with it.

Only negative I find is no good source for FMJ round nose in the 260-300 grain weight

I went with the bushmaster for simple reason that .452 bullets are plentiful, easy to find and priced reasonably. There are also plenty of different bullet weights to choose from, even if they weren’t designed for it they can still be loaded on the light side for plinking ammo.

I built a .458 SOCOM and like it , lot of bullets are available for it because of the 45/70, brass is easy to get from starline, I am getting best results from the Hornady flex tip bullet,

as for the 450 bushmaster thinking about building one because I have molds for the 454 Cassull and 460 S&W Mag, I think some of these would preform well in it , what would not be to love about a 260 Gr, HP moving at that speed

Banned

More time with the 458 SOCOM
    Has proven its worth
    If you want a true plug-and-play round
    458 SOCOM is the only option
    Getting a 500 grain mold from Accurate to go with a 350 grain mold
    Versatile, just like the BO
    Super to subsonic
    With zero modifications
    .223, .300 BO, and 458 SOCOM cover it all
    The only real gap is a sniper round for past 500 yards
    Thinking about a 50 BMG which has nothing to do with this thread

Vendor Sponsor

If you have thoughts you want to shoot suppressed go Socom.
    If you like the idea of shooting 425-600 grain bullets ( the pointed 500 gr less shoots real well) go Socom
    If just pig/deer target either will go fine
    I love my socom with 300 - 325 gr for deer and 500 suppressed is a blast with little noise
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoDominant View Post
    bushmaster. Scares the **** out of people who see deer hit with it.

Only negative I find is no good source for FMJ round nose in the 260-300 grain weight
    Just curious- what use would a fmj round nose serve that a cast bullet wouldn't do better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast