MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HG68/Bullseye load

Greg----I don't know what boolit you are using, but if the cartridge will chamber ok, it should work at that length. If you could supply a link to the boolit in question I might be able to make a better suggestion.
    I would suggest you start at the lowest suggested powder charge listed or that you intend to use, and work your way up to where everything functions well and shoots accurately.

Burnt Fingers----- I ran a few magazines of H&G68 clones over 4.1 of WST through my 1911 and XDm over my chrono today. The averages were 774fps for the 1911 and 784fps for the XDm(5.25 inch barrel). If I remember correctly, 4.0 of Bullseye gave nearly identical speed and the same accuracy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    ..... I ran a few magazines of H&G68 clones over 4.1 of WST through my 1911 and XDm over my chrono today. The averages were 774fps for the 1911 and 784fps for the XDm(5.25 inch barrel). If I remember correctly, 4.0 of Bullseye gave nearly identical speed and the same accuracy for me.
    What kind of extreme spread did you get? I'm asking because I ran 4.2gr of WST many years ago for some plate matches. I then switched to 4.5gr of W231 and found lower ES.
    I've now moved over to 3.6gr of Clays. (No chrono data, but 50yard accuracy was excellent).
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

This won't help directly, but I've settled on 4.5 grains of American Select with an H&G #68 clone. I believe 4.8 grains is the starting load in a couple books. On recommendation of another member, I tried 4.5, which shoots an average of 4" at 50 yards through my Sig P220. At 5 grains, groups open up to a little over 5". I seem to remember about 30 fps ES. I would say yes, it's worth loading under starting in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by slughammer View Post
    What kind of extreme spread did you get? I'm asking because I ran 4.2gr of WST many years ago for some plate matches. I then switched to 4.5gr of W231 and found lower ES.
    I've now moved over to 3.6gr of Clays. (No chrono data, but 50yard accuracy was excellent).
    Extreme spreads were 33 fps. I was using mixed brass so the testing won't be as good as if I was using the same headstamp.

Tazman

the boolit is a Lee group by ran by Catshooter, it's a H&G 68 flat base, at 198 grains in ww alloy. I loaded a few with 4.5grs WST at an estimated 840 fps. probably less in the 3.3" XDS barrel. shoulder is about even with case mouth at 1.225" OAL
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Tazman

the boolit is a Lee group by ran by Catshooter, it's a H&G 68 flat base, at 198 grains in ww alloy. I loaded a few with 4.5grs WST at an estimated 840 fps. probably less in the 3.3" XDS barrel. shoulder is about even with case mouth at 1.225" OAL
    Ok. The boolit should have just a few thousandths of the front drive band showing in front of the case mouth. Any further out and you may have trouble with it hitting the rifling.
    I have no way to check what that particular OAL would be.

1.250 has worked very well for me with HG68 (tens of thousands). I have run longer, but loaded rounds would hang up in the ejection port.

45acp mixed brass lengths are all over the place. The shoulder on HG68 provides headspace.

Check your barrel in the slide with the barrel bushing (no springs or frame). Check for fwd-aft play and see how much space there is to your barrel hood.

Plunk test some rounds into your barrel and see if they are flush with your hood. You can even take up a little of that fwd-aft play sometimes.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by slughammer View Post
    1.250 has worked very well for me with HG68 (tens of thousands). I have run longer, but loaded rounds would hang up in the ejection port.

45acp mixed brass lengths are all over the place. The shoulder on HG68 provides headspace.

Check your barrel in the slide with the barrel bushing (no springs or frame). Check for fwd-aft play and see how much space there is to your barrel hood.

Plunk test some rounds into your barrel and see if they are flush with your hood. You can even take up a little of that fwd-aft play sometimes.
    Now that is a concept that had never entered my mind before. It should work just fine if a person's reloading process is precise enough.

Boolit Master

4 Grains of Bullseye for several thousand rounds, more accurate than I am on most days. So far 2 new 1911s with that load worked with no FTE or FTF...I had problems once when my die loosened, but found the problem when doing my quality testing/ Plunk test

I always PLUNK test my ammo with a barrel that is out of the gun, kinda of a quality check. Check about 10% every 100-200 rounds, this saves me from fixing hundreds of rounds if I find a problem or a die loosened on me. QA check is worth the time it takes.

Boolit Buddy
    In a dedicated bullseye 1911 w/12# spring I shot H&G 68s over 3.8gr Bullseye at all distances from 50 feet to 50 yards. When vision issues called for red dot sight (slide-mounted) I switched to a 14# spring and 4.3gr Bullseye. Reliable functioning is as important as accuracy. Both loads will clean targets in my gun if I do my part.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    I tested a few 45 ACP loads today based on the Lee copy of HG68 and bullseye. 4.5, 4.8 and 5.0 grains all grouped well and cycled the action. Out of these three, I would pick the 4.5 grain load because this is for target and it had the least recoil and muzzle blast. Before I load up a bunch, should I have tried an even lower charge?

This is 4 gr wst in my sig super target timed fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been shooting an XDm with 200gr (H&G 68 clone). I was taught 5gr of Bullseye, but have gone down to 4.2gr and did not notice much of a change, I am cheap and if less does the same job, (killing paper) then I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter3040 View Post

This is 4 gr wst in my sig super target timed fire

It has cycled every standard 1911 from my gold cup. Springfield armory and my sig super target match gun. That load shot awesome in very gun I’ve tried whether it be an auto or revolver. I moved away from bullseye because it’s a dirty burner. The 231 and wst are virtually identical and burn a lot cleaner