WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HG68/Bullseye load

HG68/Bullseye load

I tested a few 45 ACP loads today based on the Lee copy of HG68 and bullseye. 4.5, 4.8 and 5.0 grains all grouped well and cycled the action. Out of these three, I would pick the 4.5 grain load because this is for target and it had the least recoil and muzzle blast. Before I load up a bunch, should I have tried an even lower charge?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Buddy

H&g68

Good evening,
    I shoot 3.8 or 4grs for slow fire and 4.2grs for rapid and timed. In slow fire I don’t worry if the slide doesn’t always cycle. 10 minutes is a long time for 10 shots. One of the guys I used to shoot with would only shoot low charge loads for slow fire and load each one separately. He used to set his gun down and watch them hit the target..!!
    Both of the following targets are at 20 yards with a Ransom Rest.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4FA95FE5-D739-45C4-9B1B-6D2FD78686BF.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	238994

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40615973-3606-4D5D-8E13-49BBEAC6ED49.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	238995

Boolit Master

5 gr was the old IPSC std. load. 4.5 gr bullseye was a common practice load. You can go lower but I usually re sprung for the real lite loads.

I have been working with 4.0 grains of Bullseye and 4.1 of WST with that boolit. They both function my pistols perfectly and give great accuracy.
    I haven't chronographed either load yet and I haven't shot them beyond 25 yards but they work well so far.

Boolit Master

4.0 grains of Bullseye pushing the H&G 68 is my load as well. Functions in all my 1911's without fail, and they're all sprung with issue springs, 16# I believe.

[IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master
    I load the 200 gr H&G 68 to reach the 165000 power factor for IDPA with Bullseye or what other powder I happen to be using. It is hard to find a powder that doesn't work well for a 1911.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have been working with 4.0 grains of Bullseye and 4.1 of WST with that boolit. They both function my pistols perfectly and give great accuracy.
    I haven't chronographed either load yet and I haven't shot them beyond 25 yards but they work well so far.
    Have you changed the springs?

I've been loading 4.4 gr of WST and would really like to go a bit lower. I have a feeling there's some room under that 4.4 gr as I have W231 and Vectan A1 loads that are slower than the WST load.
    NRA Benefactor.

4 grains BE under the 68 runs every 1911 I have, even the ultra compact ones flawlessly. none of the guns have had any spring changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Have you changed the springs?

I've been loading 4.4 gr of WST and would really like to go a bit lower. I have a feeling there's some room under that 4.4 gr as I have W231 and Vectan A1 loads that are slower than the WST load.
    I have not changed any springs. This works in 2 different 1911 pistols and 2 XDm pistols.
    My 1911 pistols have about 2000 and 3000 rounds through them respectively. The XDm pistols have about 500-600 rounds through them.
    I have been using this load since the pistols were new. The 1911 pistols are Springfield and Sig.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    I tested a few 45 ACP loads today based on the Lee copy of HG68 and bullseye. 4.5, 4.8 and 5.0 grains all grouped well and cycled the action. Out of these three, I would pick the 4.5 grain load because this is for target and it had the least recoil and muzzle blast. Before I load up a bunch, should I have tried an even lower charge?
    Is this load the most accurate? Your goal is a good shooting target round for accuracy. Your gun will certainly handle that load, as long as you get reliable cycling. Low book is 3.5 grains of BE so if you wanna go lower, try a few, no harm no foul...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Is this load the most accurate? Your goal is a good shooting target round for accuracy. Your gun will certainly handle that load, as long as you get reliable cycling. Low book is 3.5 grains of BE so if you wanna go lower, try a few, no harm no foul...
    All three loads I tested were very accurate, with little difference between them.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

The Lyman #452630 and 3.8 Grs Bullseye* in Starline brass, WLP work for me. 50 & 25 yds . I found the BB more accurate.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 04-01-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Added bullseye*

Boolit Master

Start at 3.5 gr BE up to 5.5 BE all are accurate, I usually use 4.5 gr BE

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My experience has been that if you go lighter than about 4.2 grains of Bullseye with the H&G68 you may have to change out the standard 16-pound recoil spring with a 14-lb. Gold Cup spring, but alot depends up how tightly your slide fits, how smoothly the gun works and how many rounds you have on the gun since the recoil spring was replaced. A service recoil spring which has been run several thousand rounds will probably cycle with 4 grains of Bullseye, 700-X, WST or 452AA.

We routinely replaced recoil springs in leg match hardball guns every 1000 rounds to reduce wear and tear. Many of the IPSC shooters replaced the standard 16-pound spring with an 18-pound one. With the 18 pound spring 4.5 grains is the lightest which will reliably cycle most guns.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have not changed any springs. This works in 2 different 1911 pistols and 2 XDm pistols.
    My 1911 pistols have about 2000 and 3000 rounds through them respectively. The XDm pistols have about 500-600 rounds through them.
    I have been using this load since the pistols were new. The 1911 pistols are Springfield and Sig.
    Thanks. I'll load some up starting at 4.0 grains and see how they work.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I load the Lee 452-200 SWC with 3.1 grs of BE. I use a 10# recoil spring and a 19# hammer spring. I modded my mold by milling it down to remove the bevel and eliminate the lube that collected in the bevel when sized. Bullet now is a 190 gr flat base when cast from range lead. The 3.1 load is because that is what the 3.0 rotor on my old Bonanza powder measure drops. On pistols with factory springs loads as low as 4.0 work fine, and depending on the gun 3.5 gr may or may not work.

I usually load 4.0 Red Dot, but tried some 4.2 Bullseye with that bullet the other day. Accurate, and cycled my pistols just fine.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

Well - 3.5 grs BE was standard for many moons, but I needed 3.6 to reliably function my Lew-Willing-prepared wad gun, w/Lyman 452460 SWC ~ 205 grs. Use the lowest amount that will function the gun, and realize accuracy has to be built into the gun - the ammo, not so much. Just make sure the ammo is well-made, boolits dang near equal in wt and diameter, &cetera, and function the gun.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Tazman

I just bought a new XDs...started breaking it in with factory hardball.

I have a 6 cavity from Catshooters group buy, but I'm not sure what OAL to use. I loaded a dozen at 1.225 which seem short. this is my first 45 acp reloading adventure

thanks for any input
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast