Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Winchester 1894 32-40 C.O.A.L.?

Boolit Buddy

Winchester 1894 32-40 C.O.A.L.?

Hi I've been researching loading for a Winchester 1894 in 32-40.
    I'm Trying to find a bullet/ mold that will reliably feed from the magazine and reliably chamber.

Some bullet designs I've looked at with a crimp groove seem to have a nose section that if crimped in its crimp groove would make it longer than the overall cartridge length that I have seen published for this cartridge 2.500.

In looking at the cartridge overall length for the 32 Winchester special it's listed at 2.565 and the 30-30 is listed at 2.550 and the 38-55 is listed at 2.510 (all the same parent cartridge (38-55))

As far as I know the internals of the 1894 are the same on all chamberings (because of the same parent cartridge) or is the lifter different in each chambering or maybe the cartridge guides are differient

Am I to assume and I know that you should never assume anything, that I can load to the 32 win specials max col of 2.565 in the 32-40 and have it feed and function reliably from the tube feed magazine?

Anybody loading a 1894 32-40 longer than the listed max cartridge length of 2.500 and able to feed and function reliably? If so let me know. Any help would be appreciated.

Looking at molds from NOE, Accurate, and Arsenal and looking for some guidance.

Don't have the gun in hand yet but it's a fine 1906 example of the model with a button mag a great bore and a beeches type front sight---can't wait!

Oh also Looking at shooting this with black powder as it was intended and not looking at shortening the brass to get a shorter COL , but would like a crimp groove to help if I do decide on some smokeless loadings.

Thanks
    Downwind

Boolit Master
    If considering a cast lead G/c boolit for your future 32-40 there are a few listed weights for the ol' gals use. Most current mold I found NOE's _SC323-178-RF-AH5. (Didn't bother checking other mold manufactures tonight.)
    My preference 32 mold? _Lyman 321297 (long discontinued) it paper patched up one caliber seems to shoot accurately enough to hunt with. But many not knowing the rifle is forward barrel heavy. {No doubt about that.}
    My preferred powder AA-2230. I don't care to use either powder in the following: 2400_Unique. (both dirty powders as is Black also.)
    Hope you get that 1894 its a fun rifle to target shoot especially so w/ its open barrel sights.

Boolit Buddy
    Nobody else shooting a Winchester 1894 in 32-40?

What bullet you using?

Boolit Master
    8 mm 170 gr as cast .324 dia good for over size bores

I have a '94 of 1897 vintage and use the Accurate 32-180C. Since this is a 24" barrel and wanted to make sure there was enough lube on the boolit, I had Tom modify the 32-180A. Since this is a bit longish boolit I trim my Win. 32-40 brass to 2.102 and get 100% function out of this rifle. The 30-30 brass I made into 32-40 I have on the shelf averages 2.050 and works ok, I just have enough 32-40 brass that I don't need to use the 30-30 brass just yet. My OAL is 2.585 and like I said I have zero feed issues. I never tried black powder in this rifle.
    Last edited by bosterr; 04-04-2019 at 05:49 PM.