Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Recourse Against Ditch Jumpers!

Boolit Master

JbinMN
    here in idaho we have open range laws if you hit a cow you are going to pay for that animal and you also might get a ticket from the police for not having your vehicle under control.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master

thunderstick
    Best thing for you to do is go and spend some money and talk to a lawyer that deals with trespass issues like you are dealing with and do what the lawyer tells you and make sure you keep them in your phone book when things happen.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shdwlkr View Post
    JbinMN
    here in idaho we have open range laws if you hit a cow you are going to pay for that animal and you also might get a ticket from the police for not having your vehicle under control.
    Thanks for the info. Did not know that. Like I mentioned, around here(MN) anyway, folks have to keep their animals penned/fenced, as they are the ones liable for issues. Or, I might say, "Under Control of the Owner", in the case of dogs & other pets. That Under the Control ordinance/law is usually in a town or city. Most folks rural let their dogs run, but try to keep them on their property(ies) when loose. (Even hunters are expected to maintain some control over their dogs by voice/whistle or leash when out, with the possible exception of coon hunters dogs when hunting and have permission to cross property lines, of course.)

Anyway, Thanks! again for filling me in.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Our property is on a curve in a busy county road. In the last 5.5 years I've had two people run off the road and take down the fence. Fortunately both of them had car insurance that paid for fence repair by a professional fencer. One drawback to signage is that people like to shoot at it, and chevron or curve signage would line up perfectly with our house, so I'm in no hurry to get signage installed. There have been many wrecks on the curve over the years. Just last week I found another plastic auto part when I mowed for the first time this season. It's like auto wreck archaeology; after a big rain another piece of bodywork, broken light lens, etc. washes out of the ditch.

I have no solution to ditch jumpers unless it would be a camera to identify who they are. The last thing I would do is place something to intentionally harm someone. Even if I have to pay for fencing (a lot of people around here don't have auto insurance), it's cheaper than defending yourself in a bodily injury lawsuit.

Moderator Emeritus

To bad mesquite won't grow there... small mesquite bushes would puncture tires with the spines LOL

Hmm - and with that, people think building a wall is a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Guy here in Wichita that lives directly on a Tee intersection of a one way street. He delt with numerous times of drunks or inattentive people blowing through the intersection, through his lawn and into his livingroom. He eventually built a brick wall in the yard surrounded with shrubs to mask the eyesore. He hasn't had to renovate his livingroom in a long time only because of the wall.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master
    Cut down some scrub/junk trees 8" to 12" diameter, cut the branches off flush with the trunk, and drag into place along your property line
    just on your side of the right of way. Cheap and easy.

That will slow them down and stop them a few feet after encountering it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    A non yielding obstacle in the right of way can get you sued and lose everything you got. It's also called premeditation.
    I did think of that, so I painted the gaurs bright yellow, so they would see it was indeed a guard. I may put some reflective red-and-white stickers on it, as well.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

Would take a little space and time, but a hedge of multiflora rose about 5 feet wide would be nearly inpenetrable by anything smaller that a dump truck, especially it the soil underneath is very soft. If someone got their vehicle stuck in it and managed to get out of the vehicle, there would be lots of dna left for sampling. Multiflora makes blackberry brambles look like a golf course green.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master

8 inch x 8 inch x 16 inch concrete block wall , 6' -0" tall . Fill each cavity with 1-#5 vertical rebar and structural concrete fill full height of wall . Horizontal reinforcing to be 5/16" dia. steel truss type
    Dur-O-Wall reinforcing every other course . Set wall on a continuous concrete footing 36 inches wide x 24 inches deep into natural grade . Reinforced with 4 - #5 continuous rebars and a hooked vertical rebars cast into footing at 8 " on center with a min. of 20 diameter rebar splice. Tie each vertical rebar to footing rebars .

No law against a "fence" around your house .

That will stop the wayward vehicles !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

gwpercle
    the problem with your solution depending on the state you live in that can be considered a dfo( dealy fixed object) and you would be liable for all accidents that occured while it was up, the court costs, medical costs and the cost for the Highway department to come and remove it. I know decades ago I was on a contract that is just what we did and it was not cheap for the owner to have us come and do it either. IF memory serves I think it was like $10,000 for a short object and could go as high as $50,000 for a large one plus all the other costs. We were notified where to go by the police and court cases. If we had a highway project going past a dfo it was taken down at no expense to the owner as we were doing work there and most of the time it had to go so we could do our improvements anyway.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Don't know how property lays, but a big ditch would slow them down, with some large poles for fence posts. Or railroad ties. Or even just a nice flower bed from said rr ties. But I do like trying to get highway dept to put up rail..

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Man

We live at a t-intersection in a rural area. It's only moderately traveled because it's perceived as a short cut to a chicken plant down the road a bit.
    Twice in 6 months, we had fence crashers in the middle of the night. Because we let our dogs roam freely inside of the fence it was imperative that I fixed it before wake-up time.
    My solution was buying a roll of the reflective tape used on semi trailers, some 2.5 inch PVC pipe split into thirds and cut about 3ft long. Drilled small holes in the pipes and wired them to the fence. Then I took the remaining pipe and cut some rings that I fixed the tape to and placed on the top of the T-posts as a bit of added "see me!".
    Don't imagine it's the sole reason but thank the Lord we haven't had any recent hits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

No dfo laws in Louisiana that prevent you from constucting a cmu fence on your property.
    I'm an architect and work for an engineering company (45 years experience) and am familiar with the building codes and ordinances of this state .
    Around here you are not required to protect the idiot drivers who can't stay on the road right of way . They want to drive off road ....that's their business and their responsibility .
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

In Remembrance
    Every body needs a little firewood, have a load or 2 of logs delivered and strategically placed, cut it up over the next few years. problem solved.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Mag357 View Post
    What would solve all these problems is common sense and respect for others!
    You have more chance of winning the lotto, twice, while living on Mars, with your supermodel wife, and her supermodel girlfriend.

But you are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    You have more chance of winning the lotto, twice, while living on Mars, with your supermodel wife, and her supermodel girlfriend.

But you are correct.
    Hitting LIKE Button...!
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    Hmm - and with that, people think building a wall is a bad idea?
    Yeah! Who'da thunk it! Keep people from illegally entering your yard/house!

The laws are pretty stupid on this stuff. As long as it doesn't appear to be a barrier designed to maime or kill people, just to deflect idiots, it should be allowed. I mean if some brain dead moron can run his car into a bridge abutment, railings, etc, then it SHOULD be legal to replicate these things to protect you and yours.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Was more meant as a comment in regards to our POTUS

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Yeah! Who'da thunk it! Keep people from illegally entering your yard/house!

The laws are pretty stupid on this stuff. As long as it doesn't appear to be a barrier designed to maime or kill people, just to deflect idiots, it should be allowed. I mean if some brain dead moron can run his car into a bridge abutment, railings, etc, then it SHOULD be legal to replicate these things to protect you and yours.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Banned

Get some really nice looking boulders placed in your yard for 'decoration'.

Lots of people around here do that. They like them decorative boulders for some reason.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234