Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 1884 hunt in "De Zuid Afrikaansche republiek"

Way to keep tradition alive. Great posts.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Very nice Sir.Thank you for taking the time and effort to post your adventures.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

Living history at its finest.
    Good to see the younger generation participating.

Boolit Bub

The 1884 hunt in "De Zuid Afrikaansche republiek

Then there was our music around the camp fire, Dr. Willie Barnard plays the violin like no other...

Boolit Bub

Another important activity in a Voortrekker hunting camp was the making of bullets by casting it over the camp fire.

Boolit Bub

Important rules of the hunt:
    No shots further than fifty meters.
    All hunting stops when an animal is wounded , all members look for and track the wounded animal.
    Since every hunter hunts alone /with a fellow hunter we need hunters to be honest when they shot at game , when wounded , report back to the camp immediately.
    Shooting at the range:
    Our main sponsor for all black powder used in this hunt was provided by Johan Greyling who makes excellent high quality Black powder. Johan Greyling is the only licences manufacturer of high quality black powder in South Africa ...he caters only for hunters and black powder front loader canon owners.

The next photo will explain how important ZAR black powder is for the hunters in the 1885 Era hunting camp.
    Georg Poppel, our German/Austrian hunter who participated in the hunt managed to get hold of two containers of ZAR high quality black powder...he was really reluctant to let go of these two containers we needed for re-loading in camp..

[IMG]Hunters shooting their rifles :[/IMG]

Boolit Bub

Kudu cow was hunted by Volkmar Bunge the last day of the hunt , a lot of rain fell the previous day and Volkmar`s hat was too wet to wear the next day when he shot the kudu cow...this is why he is wearing a "arm bush hat"

Meat processing:
    Due to extremely high day temperatures all meat processing was done in the early mornings or late afternoons . We did not hunt any warthog due to considerable possibilities of meat that would spoil .
    All meat /carcasses are de-boned /cut into biltong by Willie Barnard. All cut off pieces , not suitable for biltong is being process by me with assistance from fellow hunters we grind the meat to use as a mince dish for camp food. The rest I use for making venison sausage or wilds wors as it is known in Afrikaans.
    Every body assist to process meat in the camp as well..

Willie uses the skin of the slaughtered animal to cure the biltong in it for twelve hours. Then the biltong is hung to dry in the shade...

As pointed out previously , it really is very important for us to hand down knowledge from the older hunters to our younger hunters..here the three younger hunters are stuffing wilds wors/ venison sausage after the meat has been minced by Erik and Shaun our young men of the camp..

Boolit Bub

Meat mincing for stuffing venison sausage:

This concludes the report about the 1885 Era Black Powder hunt..thank you to all members who follow and respond to this thread..it is much appreciated..:A Big Hello::A Banana::A Banana:
    Some photos of the hunt/camp/participants:

Boolit Bub

Boolit Bub

Re-loading in the camp:

[IMG]

Members, I need to point out , the exceptional videos were taken by my good friend Georg Poppel, he really did a splendid job, we would not have all these great videos if it was not for Georg...he even had time to sit and rest..man he is good...:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOLy)(y)(y)

Boolit Bub

In regards to the type of hunting we need to do when hunting with the old rifles, here is a video of how near you need to get for a shot , even this distance is too far, as a hunter you need to get closer ...this year was more difficult to get very close to the game..the wind patterns/directions changed around all day...

Photo of the Impala shot during the hunt, notice the carcass hanging and covered with mutton cloth..this is to ensure no flies lay eggs on the meat...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edc29e56-6f0a-4229-b1a8-d035bee4c840.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	239082
    Last edited by Gert Odendaal; 04-02-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    Excellent! Very interesting & enjoyable to read & see the pictures & videos!

Thank you for sharing your adventures!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

So much AWESOME!!! Please tell me about that mauser looking rifle!
    “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPowderLove View Post
    So much AWESOME!!! Please tell me about that mauser looking rifle!
    I received this Mauser 1871 / 1888 sporting rifle from a friend who bought it long ago from a general in the South African army...my German friend Georg Poppel who participated in the hunt pointed out that this is a rifle he had never seen in Germany and Austria..he is not able to tell me about this rifle and I am not able to find any photos ot information about this rifle...I really would appreciate it very much if someone can give me information about this rifle...it is a Mauser 43 /11.15 x 60R ...but I am not able to find any photos of such a rifle on the Internet..it was in a poor condition and the stock was broken..I retore it as proper as possible..

Last edited by Gert Odendaal; 04-03-2019 at 08:55 AM.

That is excellent!! I am beginning to love the Mauser 11.15x60r. I currently have two sitting on the kitchen table that I am playing with. One is sporterised and the other original. Once I decide the better of the two for my hunting needs, I want to really sport it up.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1068.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	239140
    “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

Boolit Bub
    What a marvelous, illustrated story. Thank you for sharing with us.
    Duke

Boolit Master

ever notice that no matter where you go, the work bench that gets used looks about the same?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Awesome! A trip of a lifetime,if you’re looking for somebody to adopt Im in!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Awesome! A trip of a lifetime,if you’re looking for somebody to adopt Im in!
    Members I really am appreciating the positive replies , it really is much appreciated. I have currently two Mauser 43 rifles , I am thinking to sell one for money I can use on a current project...Both rifles are in great condition and was standing for forty years in a rifle safe...I am currently purchasing all available brass I can get...I really want to use it this year for a normal hunting trip ..the Mauser 43 I post about...I really still will appreciate it if someone can give me more info about this rifle????
    Any one is more than welcome to participate in this hunt..This year Georg Poppel and his wife joined the hunt , I believe he said there is nowhere in the world such a hunt and such a experience..he already booked for next year...There is a possibility that we can hunt on a farm alongside the Kruger National park..no fences between the farm and the Kruger National park..so we have to be content with buffalo, Lions and elephants crossing your path while you hunt...if there are enough hunters who want to attent such a hunt we can compile a hunt that they can participate in such a hunt..

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPowderLove View Post
    That is excellent!! I am beginning to love the Mauser 11.15x60r. I currently have two sitting on the kitchen table that I am playing with. One is sporterised and the other original. Once I decide the better of the two for my hunting needs, I want to really sport it up.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1068.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	239140
    Blackpowderlove...those rifles are beautiful...I will upload a photo of my two Mauser 1871/84 `s ..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20190313_174142.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	239194

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast