WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range report and a surprise with a S&W 686

Boolit Master
    I've been a .357mag fan for around fifty years. I've owned a lot of different guns, including a model 19, model 27, and a model 28. I had Bill Davis build me two different custom guns in this caliber and both were "one holers". I also had/have three different L-frame .357mag revolvers. Two are 686's and I had a 586. All three of these guns shot at least 95% as accurate as both of the Bill Davis guns. The 586..on a good day...would shoot just over an inch for five shots at 50 yards with a select load. I consider these the most accurate revolvers SW ever made. The model 27 was no slouch, but the L-frames just feel better and shoot a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I've been a .357mag fan for around fifty years. I've owned a lot of different guns, including a model 19, model 27, and a model 28. I had Bill Davis build me two different custom guns in this caliber and both were "one holers". I also had/have three different L-frame .357mag revolvers. Two are 686's and I had a 586. All three of these guns shot at least 95% as accurate as both of the Bill Davis guns. The 586..on a good day...would shoot just over an inch for five shots at 50 yards with a select load. I consider these the most accurate revolvers SW ever made. The model 27 was no slouch, but the L-frames just feel better and shoot a bit better.
    Since you said this, it made me think and I don't believe I have ever seen a bad shooting L frame S&W. Maybe I have been fortunate but I have loaded for or/and shot probably a dozen and they have all delivered excellent accuracy. Now, someone will say they have one that wont hit a bull in the butt across a pool table since I said this.LOL
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

That's good.

In the 80's I had a 6", blue 586. It shot very well with the 358156.
    Shooting off a picnic table at 25 yds, it would keep to one big hole.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's good.

In the 80's I had a 6", blue 586. It shot very well with the 358156.
    Shooting off a picnic table at 25 yds, it would keep to one big hole.
    I need to borrow your picnic table.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both a 3" and a 6" 686. They are both extremely accurate. I bought the 6" first and was so impressed with the smooth trigger and accuracy that I bought the 3" as a wintertime concealed carry gun. Would not sell or trade either one. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!

Boolit Buddy
    The grips on your 686 go for at least $200!!!!

I had heard mention that they were worth some money but I had no idea it was that much.

Boolit Buddy

Hey Tazman, if you get an optic on there, you will be amazed at the accuracy.
    Mine is the 5" barrel. Its drilled and tapped like all the newer Smiths. Its every bit as accurate as my Model 52, maybe even a little more.

Boolit Buddy

You all are a bad influence on me!

I’ve been trying to get a 686 7 7 out of my head for a couple months. You just made the demon voices get too loud to bear and I placed the order this morning. Maybe I can get some sleep tonight.

I still have my original 28-2 Highway Patrol ( Second hand) from the 80s when I first started reloading. I’d guess it’s seen around 25k in my hands. It’s retiring but will never be sold.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master

Nice.

I spent some time yesterday shooting my 6” 586. I was trying a new to me powder in .38 special cases. WST, 3.3 grains with 158 LSWC, just the lower grease groove filled. I think my eyes were the limiting factor. My front sight is the red ramp, the tip is worn of its bluing so it shines and would pull a disappearing act.

A three inch group was my average at 15 yards. I had a touch of leading. I followed up with a box of hornady LSWC loaded in starline 357 cases with clays powder. That cleaned the tiny lead amount out of the throat. A lot less smoke with one groove filled but I did have the lead starting.

I also noticed the clays felt softer shooting but the FPS was also supposed to be less.

The L frame is just right I think too. The N frame model 28 is a tank but it is a slosh too large. I keep it until I find a nice clean 4” 586.

B

I got out with the new to me 686, it was made about 1984.
    First time was with some factory loads I picked up, HSM 180 rain WFNGC.
    I might have pulled one:

Some Hornady 125's were moving right along:

Last weekend I tried out some plated bullets with Universal powder.
    From 5.7 up to 6.5 grains all shot just over an inch:
    (second target was marked 7.2 grains but was 6.5)

Too bad mine isn't tapped for a scope or dot base, I'd like to see what it would really do without my old eyes having a hard time seeing the front sight.

Boolit Master
    Drilling and tapping your gun really isn't very hard. Believe it or not, it won't even hurt the resale value. Lots of guys don't mind the "extra hole" and are glad to have a gun they can put a dot or scope on. I think you only need to drill one hole to do it, it uses the existing spot where your rear sight is. Just get it drilled and enjoy the fun of shooting your gun with a good red dot on it. I'm sure the gun will do at least two inches off a rest using full power mag loads. Those guns just plain shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12