RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping a rifle over a door.

Keeping a rifle over a door.

I am thinking of putting a single rack over the front door. Seen it in movies and old pictures but never done it. Would the jarring of going in and out and slamming the door cause any eventual problems?

Boolit Buddy
    I would really doubt it.

Nope, should be fine. The only consideration I can think of is having a weapon accessible to anyone who can reach it.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I have one over the door.. and my rack is 2 screws.. so anybody that can reach it can use it... lol.. I also keep some other tools handy, where folks can get to them.. screw guns, and wrenches are placed where folks can get them as well. Prolly an Alaskan thing.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

A single gun rack should have "hooks" deep enough to hold securely. Other than increased chances of moisture exposure I see no real problems

I always keep a rifle loaded on my single rack for critters in the off season and deer during that season. I'll be the only one that can reach it over the door, wife's too short.

Where I normally keep it will be too low when we have have a toddler. I don't keep any of my other guns loaded except my carry gun. Be a lot handier over the door anyways as the other spot is across the room.

I've done it with a pair of 1" wide strips of sheet metal bent like a truck gun rack, with one screw at the top of each strip.

It did fine. The bent strip was strong enough to keep it- a shotgun, from falling out,
    but thin enough that I could pull it straight down if needed.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I used coat hangars(hooks) and mounted the black powder rifles in my downstairs bedroom/living room one over the door is fine mount them up , mounted pellet pistols on wall in shop used bad brass with a hole drilled through and screw through that

Boolit Master

Not much difference than mine thats behind the door. Ceptin maybe easier access..

If its safe fore your house its a good idea thats why we know about it!! Its 100% utibity!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I don't keep a gun above my door.

I do have a Budk 15$ stun gun in a "Holster" made from a plastic jug mounted on the side of the door. It is the kind that has a hidden 110 v plug in for recharging, no batterys. I test it once or twice a year.

It also has one of those small headphone jacks attached to a lanyard. Jerk the lanyard out and it no longer works. So it is a little harder for someone to take it away from me.

Two steps from there is the knife block in the kitchen. If I should have to retreat from there a few more steps back is the living room and a whole passel of options. From Pistols to Pistol Caliber Carbines or a lever action dirty 30.

I like the stun gun. It is a less than lethal option. Just popping it makes most people back up and rethink. If more is needed, well just leave it there and go for more.

Any shotgun would be a good choice over the door I think. Something about those big bores just intimidates people with evil on their mind.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've had one over my door for over 30 years. No problem, and handy when needed.

Funny local story. An older couple that live up on the North Fork of the Flathead had a grizzly bear decide to come in the kitchen door one evening. Harry grabbed the rifle, and attempted to shoot the bear. What he didn't know, his wife had unloaded the rifle because the grand kids had been visiting, and she was afraid they many get it down and get in trouble.
    He was hollering for cartridges, and she was coming down the stairs with a handful. He got a couple shoved in the rifle and killed the griz in the living room. The gun was always loaded after that!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I don't keep a gun above my door.

I do have a Budk 15$ stun gun in a "Holster" made from a plastic jug mounted on the side of the door. It is the kind that has a hidden 110 v plug in for recharging, no batterys. I test it once or twice a year.
    Do you test it on your BIL, or the neighbor's dog?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Kirby salesman Those guys are annoying and deserve to be test platforms

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Kirby salesman Those guys are annoying and deserve to be test platforms
    I thought door to door salesmen were a relic of the previous century.

Boolit Master
    While I find it interesting to read this topics posts, personally I do not feel it is necessary for other folks to know what I may or may not have is store for those times where something more than calling the local LEO would possibly be necessary to resolve a situation. So, I will decline to respond in that regard.

As far as placing a firearm over ones door, I wonder if it has occurred to some folks, that doing so might provide a firearm to someone who does not have one, should they enter without your permission with the intent of doing something illegal, regardless of whether they intended any harm or not. Particularly if you are not aware of their entrance, whether it be thru that particular door or not. Those folks who may have a firearm above any doors might want to also realize that without you, or anyone being home, that firearm is just another bit of loot for anyone there to steal.

That firearm would also be available to those young folks, who, with the normal curiosity of being young & wanting to know things, might take the time to build a way, or just get a chair or stool & access such a firearm. I am not talking about just a toddler either. I am talking even up to the teens. Just because you have told/taught your children not to handle firearms without an adult, there is still the chance that they could use bad judgement & do so anyway.

Any of the above is a pretty high stakes chance to take, by leaving a loaded firearm out where it is not secured either by your presence, or secured in another way. If you are not "completely sure" that no one without "authorized access" is able to get their hands on that(or any) firearm, you are possibly setting yourself up for something you do not want to happen to occur, even if you consider that possibility to be remote.

Now, if one is out in a rural area & does not have anyone to worry about breaking into their home, or using the firearm in an inappropriate manner, then I suppose it is not as risky. The example of the older couple & the bear would come to mind, but then again, there were children around, even though their system changed afterwards, the risk is still there that the children being present without adult supervision can occur, & likely more frequently than the need for the firearm for other emergency reasons.

If one just lives in a bad neighborhood, the burglary or strong armed robbery possibility rises, but then also the chance it could happen when you are not around & then the loss could happen, or as I said, worse if you happen to come home when they are there & you are not aware of it & cannot take precautions to be prepared.

Now I am not against doing what is being discussed. I am just playing the "devils advocate" & offering up some considerations that so far I have not seen mentioned.

Now, I do have what I would think are some better suggestions...

One is, if you do not have a CC permit get one. Either for out & about or at home. If you live in a place where one is not needed in your home, or on your property, carry a firearm there, and go get one to carry elsewhere, so you can carry everywhere.

Two, if you can CC, do so at all times, or at least in close proximity to you at all times in your home, as well as out & about, & then you will not need a firearm over any doors.

Third, if you do not want to "physically" carry in your home, then bring the firearm with you as you go to different places in your home & keep it near you. If you answer the door, take it with you, & so on...

There are some other suggestions , but I reckon many here would already know about them or will figure them out if they think about it.

Do as ya like, but IMO, giving it some real good thought about whether to do it or not & whether or not you want to tell anyone that you do it, or not, is up to you.

G'Luck! Whatever ya decide!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    We kept 6 M-16's, 6 Mini-14's and 6 870's in racks in our truck at work. That truck ran 24/7 over the best roads a corrupt and ignorant major city government could muster, and they all ran just fine. The jostling a closing door would induce should be insignificant. You know the environment you live in so if it's appropriate, do as you please.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand the risks of theft, I don't have a safe yet. I'd like a small one. Unlike most here I don't have a collection, but rather a handful of working guns. I work from home, and most of the time someone is here. We have 4 dogs in house, with 2 being half pit half boxer. They aren't mean. But they don't take kindly to strangers in the house.

There is never a time I don't have my 1911 on me other than when I'm in bed.

I always keep a long gun loaded on my single rack right now. Mostly it's my 22 rifle but sometimes my deer rifle, especially during season. I live in the country and begin hunting soon as I leave the house. It ain't got nothing to do with self defence.

I won't touch on the kids not bothering it as that's a can of worms and depends a lot on the parenting and environment the kids are in.

I was curious about the door causing problems as I've seen light switches and outlets come loose from the wires when next to doors.

Banned

should be fine over the door, if you can reach it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    should be fine over the door, if you can reach it.
    I'm 6'5. I can put my palms on the ceiling.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast