Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My sons Boy Scout Eagle project

ADMIN

My sons Boy Scout Eagle project

Started work today on his project.
    His project is a 12x10 dining structure.
    Basically 4 posts with a roof.
    This is what he and 5 other boys did today in about 4.5 hrs with a little instruction.

The posts are 6x6
    The long beams are 2x8 and the short ones are 2x6.
    The height from the ground to the bottom of the 2x8 is @ 81 inches or a little over 6.75 feet.
    That should allow for the majority people that use that structure to safety walk under it without any problems.

My son wasn’t extremely happy with the fact that initially he was told by the scout leaders that the material was all being provided.
    Turns out that only some of the material has been provided.
    We were able to get the 6x6 posts and the 2x6 posts from a on going construction project on site (approved not stolen).
    He has spent @$160 so far on bolt hardware, screws, 2x8s and the 350#s of concrete.

Still have to buy the material for the roof.
    Figure when it’s all said and done he will have to spend about $500 total give or take.
    Lucky it’s gonna be a metal roof.
    Anyway thought I would share that.

Edit - the benefactor is Christ Central Ministries.
    This is at a lake retreat they have.
    Scouts and church members can use the facility
    Last edited by HATCH; 03-30-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    The whole purpose of the Eagle Scout project is for the young man to develop and carry out a project. Too bad the materials were not donated as planned-- but the project is the important part. It's great that he is doing this and for a Church as well. As an Eagle myself and father (and grandfather) of Eagles I'm certain you are proud of his efforts-- as you should be! $500 is nothing compared to satisfaction with success. Congratulations on having an Eagle in the family!
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Always proud of of an Eagle in the making. My son's Eagle meant so much to me and ended up getting him around $1000 per semester scholarship for 3 years of college.. he left the Corp of Cadets after his 3rd year deciding that under Obama the military had had no chance of survival. He was mostly right.

Banned
    Everyone should be a BoyScout.
    I was a Patrol leader, quartermaster, bugler, and den chief. -- A lot of good memories and useful information for later in life.
    Everyone in the troup learned gun safety. (our scoutmaster was the head of the Green Beret)

congratulations to Your son
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Banned

Both my sons are Eagle Scouts. Since I retired from the Army, I teach JROTC and periodically have a student who makes Eagle Scout. I've been invited to several courts of honor and even asked to speak at one of them.

Eagle Scout is a big deal. It's a shame the BSA as an organization is in such decline, but at the troop level, it seems to be pretty much the same spirit as it always has been. Congratulations to you and your son.

Boolit Buddy
    That’s awesome!! I had over 2k hours in my project I’d do it again in a heartbeat!!

Boolit Buddy

Well done sir. Eagle Scout is one of the few achievements that will be recognized for life that is accomplished prior to high school graduation.

It wasn’t too long ago that presidents were Eagle Scouts.

Again, well done sir.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations Hatch to you and your Son! Congrats to you for raising such a fine upstanding young man and congrats to your Son for his hard work and perseverance to reach such a lofty goal at a young age! Our country needs more young people like your Son!!!

Good on him. I'm an eagle myself. Has your son gone out to various local lumber yards, big box stores, or construction companies aside from the one you've already used seeking material donations?

Many of them love to help out. Going in person instead of calling and emailing works even better.

My project was replacing something like 60 bluebird houses at my local wildlife sanctuary.

I talked to a few construction contractors for conduit, and one just opened their scrap pile to us.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations to your Son!

I was an Eagle and so are both of my Sons. The Grandson just crossed over to Boy Scouts. I'm always happy to see another young man headed in this direction.
    Last edited by lightman; 04-01-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    I helped a HS senior I've known since he was a baby with his project. Local Lowe's commercial desk helped with the supplies. It took about 2 months for corporate approval. Picnic tables were donated to a battered spouse with children shelter in our area. 4 adult and 4 kid's tables. Besides cutting the wood my only other contribution was the 10% rule. Seemed to spark a fire in a few of them.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Never really had the opportunity to do scouting when I was a kid but I have watched many kids participate in scouting over the years - you son, and those like him are to be congratulated. They are learning valuable lessons that will stay with them their entire lives and they learn the fun and pleasure it gives to give back to their communities and those who are in need. You've done a good job and I know you are all as proud as cam be of him.

Boolit Master
    Outstanding Sir.Congrats to both of you.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe,
    leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I’m just getting home from a camp out.

This touches close to home. My son’s eagle project is about 90% complete. We’ll finish up next Saturday. Lucky for us the conservation project is fully funded.

My congratulations to your son.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations to you and your son. Achieving Eagle Scout is something to be very proud of.

When I did my Eagle Scout project 20-25 years ago. I had to go and drum up some donations. Has he attempted this?
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 04-02-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are right to be a proud dad. Reflects well on both you, and your son.

Your structure looks nice ! If you have anymore 2 X 6 or 2 X 8 lumber left (8). 45 degree corner braces at the top post to beam joint inside will add much to the wind resistance and stiffness.
    As said all boys should be Boyscouts.

Jedman

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Hey thats great good on him you obviously did a good job raising him.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

My son just finished his Eagle project today. We’ll turn in his package next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast