RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GOEX vs. Grafs real BP

Maine Powder House has been OOB for a while now. I went through quite a struggle finding a new source of Swiss that I could drive to.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Maine Powder House has been OOB for a while now. I went through quite a struggle finding a new source of Swiss that I could drive to.
    Maine powder house is back sometime now located in lewiston maine. Irishtoo

Boolit Buddy
    All of the powders mentioned will go bang. The real issue is what works best in your gun, price isn't everything. I compete in North South Skirmish Assoc matches and have tried a number of powders for accuracy in my guns.

What I've found, best accuracy is with Old E or Swiss. Swiss produced a bit less fouling but I really can't justify the price difference for my purposes when I'm getting the accuracy I need for 15 shot strings (when we're having a really, really bad day!). Next up was standard red can Goex followed by Schutzen, Kik and a couple others. Nothing touched the accuracy of Swiss and OE. I don't mind $3-4 more per pound when the load is far more accurate. Back when I was into reenacting, I didn't care, price was king as we weren't sending lead downrange.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Just ordered 5lbs of Graf's 3f. Should be enough to last me for a while LOL!

Thanks to everyone for your contributions!

I haven't bought any BP since around 1989
    But I've got 7 or 8lbs after all these years.

I know I have two cans of Hodgons BP.

And several cans of GOEX as well as a couple cans labeled as Gearhart-Owens Industries (Goex before they adopted the abbreviated name, but same Moosic, PA address...

I only have three cans in the house the rest is all out in my shed and I don't feel like going out there tonight, it is raining, but as I recall I have two cans made somewhere in Scotland, Don't recall the brand,
    but it was made in the 1970's.

Personally I never noticed a difference between them, but all my BP shooting is in percussion revolvers.

My powder arrived from Grafs on 4/19/19 and the next day I went to the local range and shot some through my two .50's. It'd been a LONG time since I fired any of my BP guns and my "Hawken-ish" .50 hadn't been shot yet. The local range has been shut down since late August do to a complete overhaul and the "Hawkenish" rifle wasn't finished before it closed.

ANYWAY... it was a ton of fun to shoot! It was a drizzly morning and the smoke just floated in the air for a few seconds before dissipating. One of the range officers had never fired a muzzleloader before so I offered to let them shoot it once and they loved it! I also realized I'm going to need to buy a RB mold for these two .50's and since I'm getting one for them, I might as well get one for my 1860 Army while I'm at it. Guess my BP addiction has been rekindled!

I haven't checked in a while but I thought goes was lower than that over at Buffalo arms in ponderay which is about 80 mi from here they have a website might Google em

My five pounds of Grafs 3f was $102 & change to my front door which included the hazmat fee and shipping. I'm hoping that by the time I'm finished with this five pounds I'll have learned how to make my own

Making bp is no biggie you need a few things and a weekend to get a rhythm

Boolit Master
    I've always tried to by locally so to circumvent paying Hazmat. But in reality I paid my share of Hazmat (usually on a 2 cans purchased) out of a 24 can case. I highly doubt the business place paid it.
    Not disagreeing with those users of 3-FFFg for everything but many shooters have come to know its best to let there side-lock suggest which grade of powder it prefers. (2-FF vs 3-FFF.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12