RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How about over rated cartridges

Boolit Master

The beauty of the 6.5 Creedmore is that you can get it in a sub $300 rifle that will shoot sub MOA out of the box. I don't own one, but if I was a long range jacketed shooter, I probably would.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    I have killed several deer with my old 6.5X55 using the Hornady 140 grain spire point bullets.I kept the MV at 2300 FPS or so and never have I had a deer take a single step after being hit behind or on the shoulder.They were dead right there.From my experience I think it is the best deer cartridge made. I am sure others have had different experiences,but for me the old sweed is a winner.
    Thats how I load my 6.5 Creedmoor: 32 grains IMR 8208 under a 140 grain Hornady or Sierra. .30-30 level recoil and noise, more accurate than my shaky hands can take advantage of, and it will kill anything that needs killing around here. I couldn't care less about shooting to 1000 yards, that is so far beyond my capabilities as to be abstract.

On the topic of overrated rounds, I say 7mm Remington Magnum. It guzzles powder, has short case life, nasty recoil for a 7mm, and won't do anything that a smart .270, .280, or '06 can't do just as easily. Around here, it has always been the number one choice of people who hunt once a year and are convinced they need something with the word "magnum" in its name.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 03-31-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

No body mentioned the .250-3000, it will do anything the .243 will do. And has the advantage of heavier bullets. And the .257Rob'ts in a long action will do a lot better.
    Wished I'd had the Brains to buy a long 96 MAUSER in 6.5X55 when they came in to the Country 25+yrs ago.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Most of the newer chamberings are just marketing hype and don't do anything that older cartridges couldn't do, and they are not cast boolit friendly, eg: 6.5 creedmore, 300 B.O., 300 PRC, etc.

Walks- Amen, brother on the .250 Savage. My wife's #1 choice and sometimes she lets me borrow it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

The .250 Savage and the 6.5 Creedmoor are basically the same.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...edmoor.836172/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    The .500 S&W magnum! I've got one, and I don't even know why? That little Encore kills at the front end, and maims on the other!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The .223 isn't a 22-250 and never will be. In fact, in your average 16"-20" AR15; you are getting .222 Remington ballistics. In equal length/ weight barrels the 22-250 is hitting harder way out there where the gun shy prairie dogs are. In my experience from using both cartridges for 46 years. And to stir it up more, I've NEVER had a problem killing deer with one shot with a .223, 22-250, or .243.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    ^ +1 What he said. I do agree with the .243 needing excellent shot placement, but SHOT placement discipline should be practiced regardless of bore size, bullet weight, FPS, so on and so on. Just my .02 - Caster
    In regards to shooting safety.Until you are ready to fire, keep your booger hook off the bang switch.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The .250 Savage and the 6.5 Creedmoor are basically the same.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...edmoor.836172/
    Makes sense, given that the .250 is grandfather to the 6.5.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

9mm Luger. The story usually goes like, with modern hollow points the 9mm is every bit as good as a 45 auto. Just hogwarsh from folks that can't handle a mans gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    9mm Luger. The story usually goes like, with modern hollow points the 9mm is every bit as good as a 45 auto. Just hogwarsh from folks that can't handle a mans gun.
    Sooner or later someone was going to step on that landmine in this thread!

Boolit Master
    Yep
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Oh no you didn't lol. When the infamous Win Black Talons came out, we tested the 9mm first. I stood on the well house roof and shot straight down into a 5 gallon bucket of water. I got a little wet and we removed the beautiful propeller spiked bullet. Refilled the bucket and tried the .45. I got real wet, the bucket lifted a foot in the air and split down the side. And we removed a bigger version of the first one. That settled it for me once and for all- they are not equal.

Thats a neat story TbG, thanks for sharing.

I don't think a full size .45 is hard to shoot at all. More so than most .40's in fact. Only reason I dont have one is I have enough cartridges to cast and reload for already!

My vote goes to the new 7.6 Creedmoor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    If the SAS like the 9mm then I am ok with it LOL

Boolit Master
    In it's original configuration the .223 may have been the most overrated cartridge in history. When they finally gave up on that 55 grain silliness it got better.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    The Creedmoor case is nothing more than a 250 Savage Ackley Improved case necked up to 264 caliber. the 6mm Creedmoor is a remake of Tubbs' 6XC, also a blown-out Savage case. There's not much really new in cartridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    The Creedmoor case is nothing more than a 250 Savage Ackley Improved case necked up to 264 caliber. the 6mm Creedmoor is a remake of Tubbs' 6XC, also a blown-out Savage case. There's not much really new in cartridges.
    It has good genes, thats for sure!