RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Willow charcoal substitute

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    What do the terms mean? 20 x 0.451? Can't understand what that data is telling me.
    Those are "flight time" tests of powders made with different charcoals.
    The author measured the time of flight of a film canister as a means to measure the strength of a powder.
    The 1st number refers to a footnote, the X refers to a column on a chart, while the 2nd number is the actual flight time, and then the date of the test.

Details about the testing and the chart itself are on this page where the data came from:--->>> http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fire...oal_tests.html
    Last edited by arcticap; 05-14-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Banned

Got it, thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    Fly, Did you ever find any Palownia to try?

Bob
    Yes Bob I have shoot it many times. It by far the fastest powder I have ever shot. In fact I have one of those trees growing
    in my front yard. I keep the trimming for charcoal.

Fly

Boolit Master
    Yes those test are from a ole fireworks friend of mine. He has tested more coal then any man alive I believe.
    But there again not in firearms. Example "white pine" NOT YELLOW pine, burns very fast, but burns nasty dirty.
    You must be carful.
    Fly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Yes Bob I have shoot it many times. It by far the fastest powder I have ever shot. In fact I have one of those trees growing
    in my front yard. I keep the trimming for charcoal.

Fly
    Just curious if you have tried it against TOH. From growth rates I have seen both trees seem to grow very fast which supposedly seems to help the speed factor.
    I was mowing here at the shop the other evening and I've got a bunch of TOH about the right size for CC in a 1gal paint can.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Mr. Overmax thanks for that chart! Wow i didnt know red alder did better than black willow in testing...i figured it was equal if anything just that red alder was cleaner burning. Mr indian joe...i am happy for what works for me in my current set up using red alder...its by far the cleanest ive used, but it doesnt mean its the best and i for one love black powder so much i cant just stop at being happy with something because it works...i love the hobby of experimenting and always trying to improve. Had i stopped with being happy with a charcoal that works and gives me low fouling and great speed i would have stopped experimenting after i used willow...but i kept going and was able to get even better results with tree of heaven that swamp sent me and also the red alder i use now. I am like a lot of the tinkerers out there...they always want to improve. That is why i question as to what can work better. Im very interested in paulownia. I wonder if that new black powder company from south africa is using it...i hear its crazy hot black powder.

Boolit Master
    No Bob I have never even shot Tree of heaven for I never could find any growing near me. The one thing I can tell you
    about paulownia coal. It is the lightest coal I have ever tested. When you grind it up you need to put a cover over the container
    to let the fine dust settle. Also when you weigh it is so fluffy it looks like a lot more than other charcoal powder.

Fly
    Last edited by Fly; 05-18-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post

Sassafras38 x .320 11/28/08
    Sassafras grows extremely well on my property. Anyone else tried it? I might need to give it a try.

Boolit Master
    In my prior thread.
    Attention too: the {second number} black willow19 x >.451< 9/28/05 is suggested when comparing Black willow to other {wood charcoals} and their burn speeds.
    Comparing >Black willow having a burn speed .451 to another charcoal. Black Willow is a base line for comparison.
    A {higher} figured in burn speed. The less efficient the powder is.
    Last edited by OverMax; 05-18-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    Those are "flight time" tests of powders made with different charcoals.
    The author measured the time of flight of a film canister as a means to measure the strength of a powder.
    The 1st number refers to a footnote, the X refers to a column on a chart, while the 2nd number is the actual flight time, and then the date of the test.

Details about the testing and the chart itself are on this page where the data came from:--->>> http://www.wichitabuggywhip.com/fire...oal_tests.html
    The results posted here are not the flight time tests; they are the burn rate tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    The results posted here are not the flight time tests; they are the burn rate tests.
    Thanks for the correction.

Boolit Master

Down the road from me there is a swamp infested with black willow. The owner lets the Amish cut it to make wicker furniture. A lot of deer hang out there.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

In Remembrance
    Has anyone used Basswood? I have heard it works well, but never tried it.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Mr. Mazo kid...ive never tried it but ive worked with basswood and its almost just like paulownia in that its light weight and low density, im sure it would work great. Does it grow anywhere near your location?

Boolit Master
    I had always meant to try hazel.

In Remembrance
    I have a Basswood tree in my yard! Going to start saving the limbs that break off in storms.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    I am sure that there are a few branches on that Basswood tree that are dead or need trimming right now, so they don't break off in the next storm.
    Stay Ahead of the Bus.
    And it will give them a longer time to dry out before you make your Charcoal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12