Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2PBcastcoTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma hunters please help

If the homestead NW of Buffalo wasn't leased I might drive up and take you. Ask your co-workers about their hunts, someone will take you pig hunting at least and you can practice gutting them(like training weights). Deer will be easy after that. Join a deer lease if possible for the knowledge and camaraderie.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T_McD View Post
    Kay County, 15 minutes from Kansas Border.
    You’re killing me man! You in witness protection or something? So Kay county is Ponca City area...

I’m in Creek county, or the Tulsa area...

I think there’s good wma’s in that area...any hogs around there? There’s deer everywhere here, but I can’t help until October...hogs butcher about the same way as deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    ...hogs butcher about the same way as deer.

Lol, all 4 legged critters butcher the same. Just depends if you want chops, ribs, roasts or steaks. I wonder how vinison chops would come out..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I would like to get involved in multiple types of hunting. Hogs would be cool...

Boolit Master

Take a hunter safety course. They do more than gun safety and you will meet many experienced guys to learn from.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Take a hunter safety course. They do more than gun safety and you will meet many experienced guys to learn from.
    Good point cause here in OK you have to have that to get a hunting license. I’ll look and see what’s around that area. I think there is good duck hunting in that area as well.

Boolit Master
    I would like to get involved in multiple types of hunting. Hogs would be cool...
    Do you have a hunting license? Hunter safety course?

Kaw Lake looks good, are you familiar with that area?

Hogs can be tough. They don't seem to roam too much in the daytime around the Canton Area. Lot's of signs, and I've heard a few near dusk. Stalking can be done, but naturally you need to be very familiar with the terrain.

Semi related, try out the Canton WMA. There's tens of thousands of acres to see. Deer I have seen in the day, near dusk on an overcast day. There are also lots of turkey, and more armadillo than you know what to do with.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

For field dress a deer . cut round the butt and work it out some and tie it off with string you will be glad you did .I normal do it when they lay on the ground on there back ,and first cut is just under the skin on the belly from the butt up to the ribs where they part, then from the butt take the knife and just face the sharp end up the find the thin layer of meat and slid your fingers of the other hand to hold that thin meat above the gut and cut up to where the ribs join in the center and then roll the deer on its side and pull out the guts if you like liver keep that off the ground and be careful when you remove the gall bladder you do not want to brake it ,but make sure when you do this the liver is out of the animal and away from the meat .That way if you happened to break the gall bladder you will not spill it on the meat. It will make the on the bitter side. Just cut around the bladder and remove then you will have the kindeys you need to pull out and then in the rib cage you cut the thin layer there and remove the lungs and heart and as much of the wind pipe you can . Then you got the deer field dress and if it is warm out and near and water way like a stream or creek uses the water to cool it the deer down . and rise out the cavity of the gut of the deer and then take where you want to skin or have it done up.
    Hope this will hep the OP . on field dress.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    After way too many years of gutting deer I've kind of gotten away from it. Nowadays I'm more likely to do the gutless method. I think it was the Colorado f&g website that had videos recommending this method for elk that got us started doing it. I just lay the deer on it's side and skin the upper side, take off the backstrap, rear quarter, front quarter, neck meat, and anything else worthy. Roll it over and repeat. When that side is done, cut into the abdomin behind the last rib to get the tenderloins. All meat goes into a cooler and is iced down for a couple days before cutting for the freezer. If I'm close to home I like to fill the cooler with water and a healthy dose of salt. Let it sit for a while to help cool the meat and float off any hair and dirt. Drain the water and ice down for a couple days. It's been working real well and for an old fart, it's a lot easier than horsing around the carcass, and getting it hung away from predators or the neighborhood dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    Do you have a hunting license? Hunter safety course?

Kaw Lake looks good, are you familiar with that area?
    The only hunter safety course info was online. I was hoping to find one to do in person.

Quote Originally Posted by ole_270 View Post
    After way too many years of gutting deer I've kind of gotten away from it. Nowadays I'm more likely to do the gutless method. I think it was the Colorado f&g website that had videos recommending this method for elk that got us started doing it. I just lay the deer on it's side and skin the upper side, take off the backstrap, rear quarter, front quarter, neck meat, and anything else worthy. Roll it over and repeat. When that side is done, cut into the abdomin behind the last rib to get the tenderloins. All meat goes into a cooler and is iced down for a couple days before cutting for the freezer. If I'm close to home I like to fill the cooler with water and a healthy dose of salt. Let it sit for a while to help cool the meat and float off any hair and dirt. Drain the water and ice down for a couple days. It's been working real well and for an old fart, it's a lot easier than horsing around the carcass, and getting it hung away from predators or the neighborhood dogs.
    This sound interesting for how you do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I think there are more videos out there these days showing the method.

Boolit Master
    Seems to me an awful lot of trouble to avoid a 5 min field dress, I hate working on the ground. If I was looking at drawing an elk a half mile it would be much more appealing!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

If you can find a hunter safety course locally that would be good. If any local towns have a gun shop or gunsmith or achery \ bow shop stop in and ask around about hunter safety and hunter mentors, even if you don't shoot a bow. Or a church or church group. Ask your postman. Somewhere you will get a lead.

Boolit Buddy
    I live in Broken Arrow, pm me when you want to hunt and I’ll drive too meet you.

Boolit Master
    I, too, didn't have a mentor when it came to medium sized game. This was years ahead of the internet forums. I talked with as many guys I could to get an idea of the process. The 'string for the bladder' was golden to start with. That first kill by myself was a magical time, an excellent hunt and an introduction to this wonderful way of life. Now, after dozens of deer, plus hogs, goats and even bovine, the whole process is a natural yearly ritual that I look forward to. You can do this. If you have a partner, perfect. If not, you can still do this and learn a skill you can be proud of.
    I did have the privilege of an experienced friend of my Dad who showed me how to cut up that first doe. It was here I learned the different muscle groups and what makes good steaks, roasts and burger. Since then I've simplified this even more. I hang the deer by the back legs with the gambrel and debone the shoulders in part and hams as one large unit. These go into a large cooler with ice layered under and over the meat. It can be cut up the next day or in a week, depending on my schedule. I've shot, skinned and butchered and frozen deer the same day, if there is time and the rest of my week is tied up. If I am too tired or have the time I'll leave it to cool for a while, though. From over 32 years of butchering deer I cannot see much advantage to letting it hang for days or weeks. To each his own.

I had learn how to field dress a animal from my Dad doing cows when we do them up. We do not normal use a gun on them only if the use of a hammer did not work out for one reason or another. Beside cut them up. depend how fast need to be done up. It works for deer also beside other large animals.

I have found that if you are close enough to home to gut it there it is best to have a kiddie pool (find one and buy it now) you don't care about to contain the bigger mess, the darned things are cheap this time of year and they can also fold in half to push the parts you don't want into a garbage pail. last deer I did was a road kill that the car in front of me hit and since the "city lady" who hit it didn't want it the state trooper that was right behind me asked me if I wanted it... I said yes.
    and tossed it into the back of my van and drove the mile and a half to gut it in the snow in my gravel driveway.

I had a kiddie pool to contain the worst of the mess a working garden hose to rinse the cavity and lots of snow to pack into the cavity to cool it down quickly.

No need to gut road kills. Put deer on it's belly. Split the hide down the back from tail to neck or ears. Pull hide away. Fillet out back straps. Cut off front shoulders. Cut off back legs. Done.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast