Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oklahoma hunters please help

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    No need to gut road kills. Put deer on it's belly. Split the hide down the back from tail to neck or ears. Pull hide away. Fillet out back straps. Cut off front shoulders. Cut off back legs. Done.
    Nice! Especially for a mangled up critter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that is OK to not gut the animal I suppose, but I am one of those guys that eat dove legs and savor the leg meat on a small squirrel. Try to not waste anything edible. BBQ deer ribs , yumm, neck roasts even better. But the mangled dirt and hair and whatever else meat, no.

How much meat you can get off a deer depends on just how badly it has been hit, and that dictates which procedure you use

Yes, if all you want is the two back-straps and you have a good sharp knife you can have them out in under 3min and be on your way

Boolit Master
    A butcher told me there is a very short window of time to salvage any meat from a road kill. The blood settles in the meat, even what was not directly hit. Makes the skin on process a plus. At least salvage something from the coyotes!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    No need to gut road kills. Put deer on it's belly. Split the hide down the back from tail to neck or ears. Pull hide away. Fillet out back straps. Cut off front shoulders. Cut off back legs. Done.
    So states that if you are going to salvage a road kill deer you need to take the whole deer and not leave anything behind. unless you have a good spot to dump the guts. also cool down fast. I have read some where that someone in Iowa had cut the antlers off a deer and wrote them self a salvage permit and the game warden found out who it was and charge them for not take the whole deer. It was a deputy of the county .Check you state laws first before take road kill. Also know how long it been dead. I was told to not go over 1 hour of the kill. I normal make sure that as soon I seen the deer I will gut it right away.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I don’t think I would eat roadkill unless I saw it get killed myself...unless it’s opossum. That gets grilled at every stage of decomp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer was removed from the road. Finances were lean at the time. Deer was hit in such a manner that guts were busted. Shoulders, hams, and back straps were recovered. Rest went to coyotes and other critters. I stand by my decision and actions.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    The one I processed had just been launched off my Regal’s hood at 50mph! Text the TWRA guy and he said he would drop me a tag if I wanted. Law says they of local law needs to
    Give permission.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

When you see them like off the Regal's hood, you cut the throat and bleed them out and then later harvest the good parts. I brought home a road kill deer that was dead a little longer once and deboned it out, then processed as you would to put in the freezer and finished up cutting everything into one inch pieces. Then shook the pieces in a big freezer bag with Sodium Benzote and a little salt. Dumped the pieces on a piece of plywood high up in the shop for a couple days. Then put in small plastic jars. Then in the freezer. As I would get ready to go to the trapline , put in one of the jars to use for coyote bait.. I checked one of the jars for smell a few days ago that had not been in the freezer and it just smelled a little old. Bobcat meat works well done like that. Here in Southeast Texas fire ants will eat all the meat bait quickly after they find it, so you have to rebait often using a long rod with a point to stab a piece in the jar then put it in the bait hole without getting your scent all over. Sodium Benzote is on the label as a preservative in many of our grocery items. I ordered bulk and the box is about 12 inches square by seven inches high. Works well when making your deer lure and coyote lure from the urine and glands. Oh, and my rat terriers usually clean up all the leftovers from the deer.

Boolit Master
    You can search the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife site for in-class hunter training courses here:

https://license.gooutdoorsoklahoma.c...nt/Events.aspx
    Bob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123